Sony HDR-SR10

I just got a new Sony HDR-SR10 and it has, yes another stupid proprietary file extension like the other JVC that I've used. This ones called .MTS.

LIke totally WTF. Why don't companies stick with AVI or MPEG. I guess they want us to use their stupid included software as well.

As it stands I can't use Sony Vegas to edit the file type...or can I just haven't tried yet.. Sony Vegas...Sony Cam...hmm You thinking what I'm thinking.

I also use Movie Maker *yes I hate it too) for some light editing so .MTS is not support my Windows Movies Maker so this is why originally I wanted to sort out the .MTS problems.

Thanks to any responses.

Neowin members has been really slow to respond to topics lately...hm? (Not being greedy its just when I joined, answers would pop up in seconds. It's been a whole day) :(

I personally do not own a HD-cam but I do know that .mts is a fairly standard AVCHD file type extension, it's not exactly proprietary as far as I know.

I did a quick search on google and it said that Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum, Sony Vegas Pro and Ulead VideoStudio should be able to cope with that filetype and are able to edit it :)

Hope it helps you or gets you in the right direction...

Wow, a whole 15 hours and no answer? Maybe it's because Neowin isn't really known as the biggest Video Editing forum :)

Try CreativeCow.

But yeah, Sony is knownnn for it's proprietary bull. From docks to memory cards to file exts and more.

Hmm, .m2ts is from Blu Ray discs, maybe it's something like that.

Sorry I'm not much of a help.

Well I knew Vegas supported it. But how about Movie Maker. Do I have to import to Vegas first then convert to AVI or WMV?

• 3 weeks later...