[Guide] iPhone 2.x to 1.1.4 downgrade

Right. Heres all I can suggest and Its basically what Ive said before.

Using the patched ziphone on 1.1.4 should be easy. You dont need to unlock/jailbreak it to downgrade the baseband. If the patched ziphone doesnt want to downgrade then restore firmware 1.1.4 from itunes as described above. Keep trying. Sounds odd but sometimes a restore doesnt "sit" well with the iphone. Took me 2 goes to get it done, but it DOES work using this method.

post-139232-1216089842_thumb.jpg

On Mac OS X, xcode offers an option to downgrade the firmware on your phone/iPod. I'm not sure if it actually works, but if you're on OS X... Apple wouldn't provide a feature if it would break your phone, so why not give it a try? ;)

I'm more than happy with firmware 2.0 on my iTouch, though, so I'm not going to try it. Too much time wasted syncing music.

I know it's kinda off topic since this guide is to downgrade it.. but

If I have a jailbroken 1.1.4 and want 2.0, what should I do? Back when it was bought the carrier was not an official iphone one, but now it is, since it's the carrier with which they have released the iphone 3G. My guess is that if update it to 2.0 it would be locked? Would I be able to activate it officially?

OK...I followed this guide as I also upgraded to 2.0 without all the facts.

Until now, I was not able to restore to any firmware as I kept getting an itunes 1510 error.

I used this guide to downgrade my baseband and I was FINALLY able to do a complete restore of 1.1.4 without errors.

I then used ZiPhone to JB/Activate/unlock. So now I have a jailbroken iPhone, but no service. The phone appears to be activatedf because it appears in iTunes with my correct phone number, but I can not make or receive calls.

Any advice?

I do not see and edit button...

UPDATE:

A simple reset of all settings and a re-boot and I was estatic to see the AT&T logo again :)

Thanks for tis guide and the advice.

I do not see and edit button...

UPDATE:

A simple reset of all settings and a re-boot and I was estatic to see the AT&T logo again :)

Thanks for tis guide and the advice.

im in the same situation that you were in. For some strange reason i did everything the way i was told 2 do so, nd evrything works besiides one thing. i cant get my tmobile network to appear on my iphone. its not reading my sim card , do anyone have any suggestions???? ive been phoneless for the past 3 days. HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP

If like me, you thought that you could download version 2.0 of the firmware on a jailbroken iPhone (1.1.4) and get all the features, then you were in for a huge fall from grace. I found this out the hard way after spending no less than 18 hours SOLID on the internet, googling, posting on forums etc to get answers.

Now I thought I would make a guide to help people who might be in the same boat.

Don't forget, this shouldn't apply if your on the supported carriers, i.e. AT&T or O2. The iPhone should still work with them, but if not, then this guide will help.

This guide is for you if:

You can't seem to downgrade from 2.0 to 1.1.4, you did but you can't make or receive calls, if that's you skip to Step 6.

Shopping list

You will need the following:

iTunes 7.5 (NOT 7.7)

iLiberty+Windows / Mac

iPhone1,1_1.1.4_4A102_Restore.ipsw firmware.

KiPhone Windows / Mac (Patched version of ZiPhone)

A Little bit of luck (Sorry, no download link yet ;) )

Step 1:

Uninstall iTunes 7.7 if you have it and restart your computer

Step 2:

Install iTunes 7.5, iLiberty+ & KiPhone. Make sure only iTunes is running.

Step 3:

Your iPhone should be in 2 states, either stuck on the "Slide to make emergency calls" screen, or you tried to restore before and it's stuck on the new look "connect to iTunes" screen. Either way you're ok.

Enter the phone in DFU mode (You must have the iPhone connected to the computer and iTunes running). To do this, hold the power & the home button down for 9 seconds.

Why 9? Well people say 10, but it depends how slow you are at counting. Too short and it doesn't work, too long and the apple logo appears.

When you hit about 6/7 the screen should turn off, leave it for 2 more seconds and release the power button, STILL holding the home button. If all went well, you should NOT see an apple logo, the screen should be dead. Keep holding home until windows/Mac informs you that it's found new hardware, OR iTunes tells you that your iPhone is in recovery mode. Remember, screen should be blank.

If you see an apple logo, repeat the process for less time until you get it right. Took me a little time.

Step 4:

Shift/Option click the restore button in iTunes and select the iPhone1,1_1.1.4 firmware you downloaded.

Fingers crossed it should restore back to 1.1.4.

However, you WILL get an error message when restore is complete, something like (1005) or (1150) I can't remember. That's a good sign.

Step 5:

Your phone now should be "stuck" in restore mode, you should see the old type "connect to iTunes" screen.

Close iTunes and run iLiberty+. Click the Other Tools tab and select Jump out of recovery mode.

Keep your eye on the bottom right of the Liberty window; it should change from a flashing recovery mode, to disconnected, within about 5/10 seconds. If it does, that's a good sign. If it doesn't, you may need to hard reset the iPhone (holding power and home until screen goes off) and try again.

Once it kicks it out of recovery mode you should see the slide for emergency calls screen on 1.1.4.

Step 6:

This is crucial and here's a little back-story.

When you updated to 2.0, what a lot of people didn't realize, me included, is that it includes a new baseband file. This is the file which allows your iPhone to make/receive calls, text's etc. This is what caused me hours and hours of trouble as I couldn't figure out a way to erase it. The answer was sent to me on another forum and that is,

KiPhone!!

Now here's the problem. This guide is what I did up to this point, but what I then went on to do was to jailbreak the iPhone, Google some more and then I found I needed KiPhone.

You shouldn't need to jailbreak it to run KiPhone but if it fails to work, try it.

Run KiPhone and select downgrade baseband and debug boot. Hit start and your iPhone should restart and you should see lines of scrolling txt. It took a while, 5 minutes or so. (The only way I know of seeing if it worked instantly was by jailbreaking it first, that choice is up to you). Once done you will need to restore the iPhone one more time to 1.1.4 using iTunes. Shift clicking restore should do it, no need to put into recovery mode. (Why do you need to restore again? If you just jailbreak after downgrading the baseband, you can receive calls but not make any, only send texts but not receive any).

The test if it works is when restore is done; it should give you NO errors.

Step 7:

This is the hard part, run iLiberty+, select what options you want, select "Go For it" and wait. Once done you will be back using your trusty 1.1.4 iPhone in no time.

Phew.

Any questions, feel free to ask, I feel I've assimilated too much information on this in the past 24 hours.

im in the same situation that you were in. For some strange reason i did everything the way i was told 2 do so, nd evrything works besiides one thing. i cant get my tmobile network to appear on my iphone. its not reading my sim card , do anyone have any suggestions???? ive been phoneless for the past 3 days. HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP

I am new to iPhones and Apple. I am a x86 kind of guy, from Dos, to Windows 3.1 to the present XP.

I purchased my 1st Gen iPhone on eBay and it was unlocked.

In my haste to upgrade to V2.0, I failed to read about the Upgrade and the headaches it was causing people.

So I read and read and joined many sites and forums to try to get an answer to this problem when a Mod from another site suggested that I sign up to neowin. Glad I did.

It was when I read X's post that I realized that a lot of people were confused about placing the iPhone in DFU mode and not in Recovery Mode. Many Instructions on the Net and on You Tube make the mistake of instructing people to press the Power Button, Slide the Lock Button then holding the Home button to get the USB Cable to iTunes screen. This places the iPhone in Recovery mode, not in DFU Mode.

I am happy to report that I was able to Downgrade from 2.0 to 1.1.4, finally.

As I had posted before, everytime that I tried restoring to 1.1.4, I kept getting the Error(20).

All suggestions and instructions were to get the iPhone to DFU mode. Trust me, I tried over 100 times following what I thought was the proper procedure until I noticed that sometimes, after Holding the Power and Home button for 10 Seconds that when the USB hub reported the Apple Device it finally said in brackets Recovery(DFU) all other times it said recovery(iBoot).

So that is the message you need to see....(DFU).

Here are the steps that I followed to get me up.

1) I Installed iTunes 7.7 and restored to: iPhone1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore.ipsw

This got me to the Activation Screen.....

2) I uninstalled iTunes 7.7.

3) I went to Documents & settings/My Name/My Documents/My Music and renamed the itunes folder to iTunes Back up and installed iTunes 7.5

4) I placed the iPhone in DFU mode. I held the Power Button and Home button and counted to 10 Seconds. Several times the Apple Logo came up. Continue doing this till the Screen is Black (looks Dead)

5) I placed the iPhone in the Cradle which was connected to my PC Laptop. And held the Home button till the "New Device found" The USB hub and the Devices appeared ( in my case, the USB Wireless Modem and the Apple Device Recovery (DFU) ......This is important. if you see (iboot) in brackets , you are not in DFU mode but rather Recovery mode.

6) iTunes 7.5 recognised and logged on to the device ( iPod...this was weird)

7) I held down the <Shift> Key and clicked on the Restore button. I then Opened up iPhone1,1_1.1.4_4A102_Restore.ipsw

8) All previous attempts I made, after the 1st screen, where I kept getting the Error (20).......it gave no more error, kept on loading to the iPhone, Confirming etc....then I got the Error (1015). This was good news, from all I had read.

9) Following the Instructions of a few You Tube Videos, I download and installed winPNW and followed the instructions to no avail. I got the USB cable to iTunes Logo, everytime.

10) I then loaded up ZiPhone 3.0, placed the iPhone in Recovery Mode, Clicked Do it all and low and behold the iPhone reacted and a bunch of Code got written to the iPhone. In the end of the Process, I got the Earth Logo and the Unlock Bar, or was it the Battery Logo. Can't recall now.

I tested it and all was fine, but only had the 10 or so base Icons.

11) I ran ZiPhone 3.0 again, this time clicking on the 2nd option (Jailbreak) and the Installer was loaded.

I now have installed over 20 Applications........I was so excited that I went nuts. I will be unstalling a few. LOL

So there it is guys. Thanks to the work of many members in the iPhone Community (if I may call it that) I too was able to downgrade to 1.1.4 from 2.0.

SO now the question remains? When will I try updating to Ver 2.0? Not for a long time and not till there is an Unlock and Jailbreak fix for it. I have learned my lesson.

I wish all of you (that have not been able to downgrade from 2 to 1.1.4 yet) the best of luck.

Follow X's instructions or mine and hopefully you too will have your iPhone back from the DEAD.

Edited by tech07

Oh, I'm so so sorry. What does Shift/Option restore mean? I've never seen that before. I made it so itunes doesn't automatically come up when I plug in an ipod. How do I go back?

Oh, I'm so so sorry. What does Shift/Option restore mean? I've never seen that before. I made it so itunes doesn't automatically come up when I plug in an ipod. How do I go back?

No need to apologize. No one knows everything about everything. We all have something to learn from time to time. LOL

When iTunes is opened, the Restore Button is available once the iPhone or iPod are connected to your Computer.

If you are using a Windows Based Computer, in order to Restore the File (iPhone) or iPod, one needs to Press the <Shift> Key then click on the Restore button in iTunes for the Files Screen in your Hard Drive to open up. THen by click on the desired file, it extracts and loads into the iPhone or Ipod.

If you are using a MAC ( I do not own one) the Options button is supposed to appear, to get your files.

To get the iPod to communicate with iTunes, I believe you need to place the device in Recovery or DFU mode.

Please read the other posts on this subject.

If you want it to connect automatically ( I am new to iTunes) I believe you can go to Preferences and click on that option....I think.

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion you had on this.

its me again, but i tried all of that and it keeps on telling me that my iphone can not be restored. i just figured out that my phone is missing the carrier option. when i go into my settings, i see where it says i see the airplane mode, and right under it theres the wifi option. but theres no carrier option nowhere in my phone. HHHEEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!!!! ITS NOW 4 DAYS NOW!!!

Thats because you still have the old baseband file. You still have wifi, use google to find the source for a app called bbinfo (i think). That tells you all about your baseband to be 100% sure.

Its what happened to me, keep trying with the baseband downgrade. It does work.

hi x...

one small question... does iPhone / iTunes 7.7 backup data b4 it flases the phone? wher?

i've been stupid enough not to take a backup b4 upgrading.

regards,

akshay

thank you so much for this exp.

but i have some problem ...

when i get my iphone to DUF mode there is message appere at the itunes

said ipod update >>error -185

can you plz help me in this

If your iPhone is still stuck with a dead baseband you can Jailbreak the 2.0 software and load it into your phone which will make the phone work again with fully functioning 2.0 software

I think I am more lost then everyone here, I havnt even been able to make it past the first few steps.. here is my problem.

When i uninstall itunes 7.7 and reinstall 7.5 and plug my iphone in i get this error

"The iPHONE "iPHONE" cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 7.7 or later..."

Has anyone else gotten this error? I have a feeling it has something to do with the iTunes Library file, but not sure.. I need help bad!! Ive had my phone off now for 2 days, this has cause a bigger headache then i could ever imagine.. thanks in advance if anyone can help me here

hi, ive followed your tutorial step by step and ive now reached the point where i can get back into the phone, but cant get any network coverage. As i understand, this has something to do with having to downgrade the baseband?? I tried using the "ZiPhoneGUI - patched by kIREmK.exe" programme, but when i tick the boxes "downgrade baseband" and "debug boot" and press start, nothing happens, the programme just closes, and im no closer to my goal...

Has anyone else experienced/found a solution to this problem? Is there an other programme which is good for downgrading baseband from 2.0 to 1.1.4?

Thanks,

Chris

I think I am more lost then everyone here, I havnt even been able to make it past the first few steps.. here is my problem.

When i uninstall itunes 7.7 and reinstall 7.5 and plug my iphone in i get this error

"The iPHONE "iPHONE" cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 7.7 or later..."

Has anyone else gotten this error? I have a feeling it has something to do with the iTunes Library file, but not sure.. I need help bad!! Ive had my phone off now for 2 days, this has cause a bigger headache then i could ever imagine.. thanks in advance if anyone can help me here

Seems to me your not in DFU mode. You must be in DFU mode to downgrade the firmware. Remember, the screen must be blank. Hold home and sleep/wake until iphone turns off, wait a couple of seconds and then release only the sleep button, the screen should stay OFF. Then you can downgrade using itunes.

hi, ive followed your tutorial step by step and ive now reached the point where i can get back into the phone, but cant get any network coverage. As i understand, this has something to do with having to downgrade the baseband?? I tried using the "ZiPhoneGUI - patched by kIREmK.exe" programme, but when i tick the boxes "downgrade baseband" and "debug boot" and press start, nothing happens, the programme just closes, and im no closer to my goal...

Has anyone else experienced/found a solution to this problem? Is there an other programme which is good for downgrading baseband from 2.0 to 1.1.4?

Thanks,

Chris

Sent PM

thanks SOOO much for all help on this!!! last little question: when i restored all this, the installer app disappeared from my phone, does anyone know how i can get this back?

Using iLiberty+ there is an option for installer. One of the tabs gives you a choice of which extras to download. Select, click download and then make sure you tick them before you click "Go For It". Did it for me.

If like me, you thought that you could download version 2.0 of the firmware on a jailbroken iPhone (1.1.4) and get all the features, then you were in for a huge fall from grace. I found this out the hard way after spending no less than 18 hours SOLID on the internet, googling, posting on forums etc to get answers.

Now I thought I would make a guide to help people who might be in the same boat.

Don't forget, this shouldn't apply if your on the supported carriers, i.e. AT&T or O2. The iPhone should still work with them, but if not, then this guide will help.

You can't seem to downgrade from 2.0 to 1.1.4, you did but you can't make or receive calls, if that's you skip to Step 6.

Shopping list

iTunes 7.5 (NOT 7.7)

iLiberty+Windows / Mac

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Your iPhone should be in 2 states, either stuck on the "Slide to make emergency calls" screen, or you tried to restore before and it's stuck on the new look "connect to iTunes" screen. Either way you're ok.

Enter the phone in DFU mode (You must have the iPhone connected to the computer and iTunes running). To do this, hold the power & the home button down for 9 seconds.

Why 9? Well people say 10, but it depends how slow you are at counting. Too short and it doesn't work, too long and the apple logo appears.

When you hit about 6/7 the screen should turn off, leave it for 2 more seconds and release the power button, STILL holding the home button. If all went well, you should NOT see an apple logo, the screen should be dead. Keep holding home until windows/Mac informs you that it's found new hardware, OR iTunes tells you that your iPhone is in recovery mode. Remember, screen should be blank.

If you see an apple logo, repeat the process for less time until you get it right. Took me a little time.

Step 4:

Shift/Option click the restore button in iTunes and select the iPhone1,1_1.1.4 firmware you downloaded.

However, you WILL get an error message when restore is complete, something like (1005) or (1150) I can't remember. That's a good sign.

Step 5:

Your phone now should be "stuck" in restore mode, you should see the old type "connect to iTunes" screen.

Close iTunes and run iLiberty+. Click the Other Tools tab and select Jump out of recovery mode.

Keep your eye on the bottom right of the Liberty window; it should change from a flashing recovery mode, to disconnected, within about 5/10 seconds. If it does, that's a good sign. If it doesn't, you may need to hard reset the iPhone (holding power and home until screen goes off) and try again.

Once it kicks it out of recovery mode you should see the slide for emergency calls screen on 1.1.4.

Step 6:

When you updated to 2.0, what a lot of people didn't realize, me included, is that it includes a new baseband file. This is the file which allows your iPhone to make/receive calls, text's etc. This is what caused me hours and hours of trouble as I couldn't figure out a way to erase it. The answer was sent to me on another forum and that is,

KiPhone!!

Now here's the problem. This guide is what I did up to this point, but what I then went on to do was to jailbreak the iPhone, Google some more and then I found I needed KiPhone.

You shouldn't need to jailbreak it to run KiPhone but if it fails to work, try it.

Run KiPhone and select downgrade baseband and debug boot. Hit start and your iPhone should restart and you should see lines of scrolling txt. It took a while, 5 minutes or so. (The only way I know of seeing if it worked instantly was by jailbreaking it first, that choice is up to you). Once done you will need to restore the iPhone one more time to 1.1.4 using iTunes. Shift clicking restore should do it, no need to put into recovery mode. (Why do you need to restore again? If you just jailbreak after downgrading the baseband, you can receive calls but not make any, only send texts but not receive any).

Step 7:

This is the hard part, run iLiberty+, select what options you want, select "Go For it" and wait. Once done you will be back using your trusty 1.1.4 iPhone in no time.

Phew.

Any questions, feel free to ask, I feel I've assimilated too much information on this in the past 24 hours.

Hi, I start all the steps you said however when I put the phone ond DFU mode it does not come up the itunes or it does not say recovery mode. The screen is blank but nothing happens. While the itunes tries to open the iphone instead of giving one signal sound, it gives 3 quick one in a row.

I do not know what is happening, I would appreciate if anybody can help me.

Shopping list

iTunes 7.5 (NOT 7.7)

iLiberty+Windows / Mac

Step 1:

Step 2:

Step 3:

Step 4:

Step 5:

Step 6:

KiPhone!!

Step 7:

Phew.

Hi, I start all the steps you said however when I put the phone ond DFU mode it does not come up the itunes or it does not say recovery mode. The screen is blank but nothing happens. While the itunes tries to open the iphone instead of giving one signal sound, it gives 3 quick one in a row.

I do not know what is happening, I would appreciate if anybody can help me.

^ Three in a row? If its the windows beeps then that usually means a usb problem. Try using another usb port.

Also, I updated the guide to reflect some PM's I was getting and got some more information. Enjoy.