Which Flash to use with Nikon D60?

Hello Guys,

Best place to get any answer is here...I know it for a fact.

So here is a question to all the experts and amateur expert, I have a Nikon D60 and some of the night pictures are not that great (lighting is off) so I know I need and external flash.

I have been looking at the SB-600 and SB-800 I see both can be wireless flashes (Not sure if thats the correct way of saying that). Let me also say that I am totally new to photography and just recently exploring this hobby, some one already told me that I wasted money on the D60 and should have gone with the D40 (its almost the same except for the pixel). I don't want to make another mistake by getting an expensive flash (about $150 difference I think).

Can someone please help me with this:

what I want is to just attach the flash to the camera and take pictures and if I need to take the flash out and put it on the tripod and use a light for a different effect. Do SB-800 and SB-600 support that or does my camera supports that?

I really appreciate all the help you guys have given to me and hope to hear some good advice from you all.

Thanks! :D

Either one will do wireless. I went w/ the SB600 just cuz it was like half the price of the SB800 and offered 80% of the features of the SB800. I still don't know all of the settings on the SB600, so I'm pretty sure that'll work just fine for you.

Can somebody confirm if the D60 works with Nikon's wireless flash system? Cuz I have a feeling it doesn't. If it doesn't, you'll need nikon's wireless adapter, the SU-800, which is just as expensive as a flash unit :(

The D60 or SB-600 doesn't have the commander mode system like the higher end models. You can trigger a flash wirelessly with the pop up flash, but it'll be in full manual. (no i-ttl)

You can use a SU-800 and trigger an SB-600/800 or buy a SB-800 and trigger a SB-600/800 if you want full nikon cls. If I were to choose, I'd rather go with the SB-800 and SB-600 route as it's more useful to have two flashes than just a flash and commander.

There are of course other ways to trigger flashes wirelessly. Pocket Wizards, Radiopoppers, etc. Be wary of the prices though.

I was faced with a similar choice back in the day. I'm glad I went with the SB-800 though because it is simply a more powerful and functional flash, quite useful in large churches for wedding photography.

But if you're just starting out, then you might as well save the money unless you think there is a good chance you'll be into flash photography.

Thank you so much for all who responded...this is what I got so far.

For starting up SB-600 is a good bang for the buck and if my pop-up flash is on then I can control the wireless flash on it, correct?

I am really not interested in big time flash photography, I would probably do small events and weddings to make some side money nothing professional.

Assuming all that I get that SB-600 would work fine for me? plus save me money also! :D

Thanks again all! please keep it coming.

There won't be any i-ttl when using the pop up and the sb-600 as d60 does not have the commander system. It'll be full manual to adjust the flash exposure.

There won't be any i-ttl when using the pop up and the sb-600 as d60 does not have the commander system. It'll be full manual to adjust the flash exposure.

So it does not matter if I get an SB-800 or SB-600, since D60 does not support or have commander system I cannot do wireless flash like I mentioned earlier.

Then it would be better to get a cheaper SB-600?

Thanks!

I'm sure as giga said, you use the SB-800 as the flash on the camera, you can trigger the wireless SB-600 flashes.

And no, the D60 isn't a waste of money over the D40, as you're getting a bigger range of useable lenses

So it does not matter if I get an SB-800 or SB-600, since D60 does not support or have commander system I cannot do wireless flash like I mentioned earlier.

Then it would be better to get a cheaper SB-600?

Thanks!

Correct. The SB-800 does have a commander system though so if you want to trigger another flash wirelessly with TTL you can. Radiopoppers can also do wireless ttl through radio instead of IR.

And no, the D60 isn't a waste of money over the D40, as you're getting a bigger range of useable lenses

D60 and D40 can use the same amount of lenses. ;)

So if I just want to use one flash there is no way to do it through TTL in D60 only manual exposure will work and hence getting SB-800 only is just spending money? :huh:

I am so sorry if I am not making any sense at this point so please bare with me (totally amateur, just got into photography about 3 -5 months ago). Thanks again for your patients :blush:

So if I just want to use one flash there is no way to do it through TTL in D60 only manual exposure will work and hence getting SB-800 only is just spending money? :huh:

I am so sorry if I am not making any sense at this point so please bare with me (totally amateur, just got into photography about 3 -5 months ago). Thanks again for your patients :blush:

On-camera ttl will work fine with sb-600 or sb-800.

Off camera wireless though is where you need either the SB-800/SU-800 or Radio poppers to trigger it.

Off camera wireless though is where you need either the SB-800/SU-800 or Radio poppers to trigger it.

Does that mean combo SU and SB 800 or either or?

You are a great help...I am getting this now, I think :p

Does that mean combo SU and SB 800 or either or?

You are a great help...I am getting this now, I think :p

Yeah.

SB-800 (commander) + SB-600/800

or

SU-800 (commander) + SB-600/800

or

SB-800/SU-800 with Radio Popper transmitter + SB-600/800 with Radio Popper receiver

Yeah.

SB-800 (commander) + SB-600/800

or

SU-800 (commander) + SB-600/800

or

SB-800/SU-800 with Radio Popper transmitter + SB-600/800 with Radio Popper receiver

Let me get this straight:

So if I just want to use SB-800 as a stand alone on a tripod I can still get the wireless TTL? No, because I need either SB-800 or SU-800 attached to the D60 as a commander? CORRECT.

Correct. Be aware that trigger is based on a line of sight IR so that the two can communicate with each other. This is especially troublesome outdoors but I imagine it shouldnt be too much of a problem indoors.

Solution to line of sight problems is to just do it wired or get a radio controlled device. (radio poppers, pocket wizard)

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!!

I know you guys always come through, thanks all!