Green Lantern (2011)

Jackie Earle Haley would be awesome as Sinestro. I've been dreaming of a time when a good movie studio would make a live-action Green Lantern movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Green Lantern Movie Will Spend Lots of Time in Outer Space

While out promoting his new film Edge of Darkness, marking the return of Mel Gibson to the big screen, director Martin Campbell talked with MTV (again) about Green Lantern. This time, the talk was about how much time the film will spend in space since it's an integral part of the story. He explains: "I don't know what the percentage is, but there's quite a bit in space. The initial trip up there, the training sessions he has to go through in order to become a Green Lantern. Then, of course at the end, he goes back up to Oa again. There are a couple of bits [on Earth] in between. I think there will be enough to satisfy everybody."

Obviously there will need to be a happy balance since villain Hector Hammond isn't exactly based in outer space, and Hal Jordan's love interest Carol Ferris has an Earth-based life as well. Yet again this will be another element making Green Lantern a unique superhero movie since the only films that had ever had any focus on outer space have been Superman Returns (albeit very briefly and mainly in the opening credit sequence) and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (since the Surfer came from space and thwarted Galactus as he was engulfing the Earth). Hopefully I haven't missed any? As always we're looking forward to hearing whatever bits of info we can, and we will keep you updated on the development of Green Lantern.

Source

• 2 weeks later...

3WDik.jpg

Tim Robbins (The Shawshank Redemption, Mystic River, The Player) has been cast in Martin Campbell?s big screen adaptation of the DC Comics superhero Green Lantern.

According to Heat Vision, Robbins will play Senator Hammond, a former astronaut and the disapproving father of the movie?s villain, Dr. Hector Hammond (played by Peter Sarsgaard). The doctor comes in contact with a meteor and becomes infused with psychic powers, genius level intellect, and telekinetic abilities. As far as I can tell, Robbins? character was not featured in the comic series, and is a creation for the film adaptation (and from what I understand, nbot a large role in the movie). I?m sure one of our comic experts will weigh in. At very least, the character was not a sizable role in the mythology.

The rest of the announced cast thus far includes Ryan Reynolds as the title character, Green Lantern, and Blake Lively as his love interest, Carol Ferris. Green Lantern is set to begin shooting in New Orleans this March, with the film scheduled to hi theaters on June 17th 2011.

Source

Anyone ever think of casting Jack Black as the GL? Or maybe Sean Connery FTW!!!

yah I'm not big on the GL movie. The story is pretty old already and rather uninteresting IMO.

Anyone ever think of casting Jack Black as the GL? Or maybe Sean Connery FTW!!!

yah I'm not big on the GL movie. The story is pretty old already and rather uninteresting IMO.

:no:

• 2 weeks later...

wlBSU.png

Regular Green Lantern comics scribe Geoff Johns has today tweeted about his trip to ?Green Lantern town a.k.a. New Orleans!!?. According to his first tweet ?Ryan IS Hal. And Mark Strong is going to be a brilliant Sinestro? and according to his second, ?Kilowog, the Guardians, Oa?all breathtaking. The age of Green Lantern is upon us!!?

So, we?ve learned that he?s fond of double exclamation marks, even when operating under a 140 character limit, and that Mark Strong has indeed taken the role of Sinestro. Back on January 15th he was ?in talks?.

Sinestro, if you?re not aware, is a Green Lantern corps. instructor turned nemesis of Hal Jordan. the story?s hero. It?s the sort of thing Strong could do in his sleep.

Source

I think Mark Strong could play Sinestro. He sorta looks like him plus, he's a good actor. I enjoyed his performances in Body of Lies, RocknRolla, and Sherlock Holmes.

I think Mark Strong could play Sinestro. He sorta looks like him plus, he's a good actor. I enjoyed his performances in Body of Lies, RocknRolla, and Sherlock Holmes.

yeah he does look a bit like him, that's why I think its good casting. I am quite hyped for this movie

• 3 weeks later...

Taika Waititi and Temuera Morrison Cast in Green Lantern

lanternwaicasting.jpg

Green Lantern will begin filming on Monday (March 15th) in New Orleans (according to CBM they ?will be shooting a bar scene at the Old Point Bar, 545 Patterson Drive, New Orleans during the day?). And as production begins to gear up, we have some last minute casting news from Heat Vision: Taika Waititi and Temuera Morrison have officially joined the cast.

Waititi is a comedian/actor/filmmaker, probably best known for directing Eagle vs. Shark, but he also was nominated for an Academy Award for his short film Two Cars, One Night. Morrison is best known as the actor who played Jango Fett in the Star Wars prequels.

Morrison is playing Abin Sur, a member of the Green Lantern Corps who crash lands on Earth, and recruits test pilot Hal Jordan to be the Green Lantern. Waititi will play Hal Jordan?s best friend Thomas Kalmuka, who in the comics was a young Inuit engineer at Ferris Aircraft (also the employer of Jordan) who was one of the few people who knew Hal Jordan?s secret, and kept a journal of Green Lantern?s adventures. According to Wikipedia, he served a similar role to Jimmy Olsen in the Superman comics, a non-costumed hero who in several stories he either assisted the hero, or required rescuing.

Source

Thank god we've finally had some GL news. I thought the world had forgotten about him.

expect more now its started to film :D

Here are some more pics from today. I heard they filmed only two bar scenes. Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively, and Jay O. Sanders. Not many people showed up to watch. At the most there were 10 people at once. If I hear of any other locations, I will try to get on top of it.

9143l.jpg9144l.jpg

9145l.jpg9146l.jpg

9147l.jpg9148l.jpg

CBM

What they got Blake Lively in a Superhero flick?

Hope she can act!

I doubt if I notice either way. I'll be too busy checking her out. :laugh:

81481664.jpg

Angela Bassett joins 'Green Lantern'

Angela Bassett has reportedly boarded upcoming superhero movie Green Lantern.

The Oscar nominee will play DC Comics character Dr. Amanda Waller in the film, reports Variety.

Waller is a scientist who has been portrayed as a villain in various DC comic series. Pam Grier currently plays Waller on The CW's Smallville.

Bassett joins Ryan Reynolds, Mark Strong and Blake Lively in the picture, which is currently shooting in New Orleans.

Green Lantern also stars Peter Sarsgaard and Tim Robbins and is directed by Martin Campbell.

The Warner Bros film arrives in US cinemas on June 17, 2011.

• 2 weeks later...

500xabinss.jpg

This photo from the set of Green Lantern offers a first glimpse of what's likely Abin Sur's downed spaceship. Abin Sur was Hal Jordan's precursor in the Green Lantern corps; he gave his GL ring to Hal on his deathbed.

Of course, this could be any number of crashed spaceships from Green Lantern, but given that GL is an origin story (and Abin's crashed ship is the most important crashed ship in the Green Lantern mythos), it's fairly probably that we're looking at Abin's galactic jalopy. It also appears to jibe with early illustrations of Abin's ship, although the ship's design has changed over time.

It sounds like Sinestro's portrayal in this movie will be very similar to the way he's shown in Emerald Dawn and other origin stories, judging from Mark Strong's comments:

I think they have an intention to make more than one, which is amazing because then you get to follow the trajectory that Sinestro has through the comics, and that I would really look forward to as well. But in the first one, he is a very powerful presence, and I think his whole thing, Sinestro, is that he's very confident and very convinced in his own rightness and so kind of almost militaristic in his precision about how things should be that he has this single-minded way of the way the world should be, and that's what I need to bring to the film.

[Cinematical]