Mac OS X 10.5.5 Seed Thread (9F17(a) - 8/19/08)

Safari seems spiffier. ;)

All seriousness though it feels a hint quicker, I'll test it more when I can get home and break out a few 3D things. :)

Would you be able to tell us the version of the NVIDIA GeForce kernel extension? It's located at /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext, using "Get Info" should display the version number.

Would you be able to tell us the version of the NVIDIA GeForce kernel extension? It's located at /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext, using "Get Info" should display the version number.

Like I didn't know where it was. ;)

GeForce 1.5.30.60 (16.8.0f03)

It is an update from 10.5.4.

Like I didn't know where it was. ;)

GeForce 1.5.30.60 (16.8.0f03)

It is an update from 10.5.4.

:laugh: I'm just a pain in the rear sometimes.

Is there much of a difference in the file size? Hopefully the updated driver will resolve issues that some people have been having with display corruption.

:laugh: I'm just a pain in the rear sometimes.

Is there much of a difference in the file size? Hopefully the updated driver will resolve issues that some people have been having with display corruption.

I'm hoping that it fixes my stuttering in Second Life. :p Well, it would be an improvement if I could even connect lately using my Mac, stupid crappy coders. :p

I'm hoping that it fixes my stuttering in Second Life. :p Well, it would be an improvement if I could even connect lately using my Mac, stupid crappy coders. :p

Let us know if it resolves that, if it does that could be a good sign that other problems are fixed as well. I love how Apple are always on the ball with Mac OS X updates. :D

holy **** apple, fix the wireless issues already... not being able to connect to any N router is pretty ****ing stupid...

tech support is useless for this issue, the apple discussions are full of people with issues connecting or staying connected to any N router using a macbook and this all started from a software update (10.5.1). Just undo whatever you did...

holy **** apple, fix the wireless issues already... not being able to connect to any N router is pretty ****ing stupid...

I connect to my DIR-655 @ 802.11/N speeds as well as the ones around work and local WiFi Hot Spots...no issues at all on all of my N capable Macs.

/sigh, I hate my DIR-655, always causing issues with all the PCs in the house, yet it works fine on my MacBook :D

Never been able to get wireless N speeds either, however thats because the UK version hasnt had a single firmware update since day one. But thats all offtopic.

AirPort Extreme Soon :D

I am able to connect to my Linksys WRT300N at wireless N speeds using my MacBook Pro with no issues, and after 10.5.2 my connection has been rock solid to the point I don't even use ethernet anymore.

Your stuttering? I'm sure with some self confidence and speech therapy, that can be fixed quite easily ;)

That jumped out at me... how could a bunch of web applets in a nice view trigger a kernel panic? Unless they were accessing the shell and running a command... but they'd need admin privileges to run anything that would do any harm.

The way I see it, in a well designed OS, an application should never be able to bring down the system, ever. Only a kernel or driver bug should be able to.

The way I see it, in a well designed OS, an application should never be able to bring down the system, ever. Only a kernel or driver bug should be able to.

Or require a 1.8 gig patch?

For the love of God, please relay this message to the team up in Redmond, because apparently they never got the memo.

For the love of God, please relay this message to the team up in Redmond, because apparently they never got the memo.

Getting bluescreens in Windows still? Have you tried updating your pebkac drivers?

And to stop for a moment, and think that this much-lauded "Unix-based" rock-solid OS can be brought low by some little stupid eyecandy gadget...that's damn sad. Glass houses, etc etc....

Edited by 39 Thieves

Your stuttering? I'm sure with some self confidence and speech therapy, that can be fixed quite easily ;)

Set myself up for that one didn't I? LOL.

In all seriousness though, the new Graphics Drivers are obscenely fast, no more stuttering in Second Life, however, I retain all the other issues that I was having with it...stupid Linden Labs and their not knowing how to code for anything but Windows. (And their Windows client isn't much better, Memory Outages on 2GB under XP...wow.)

Getting bluescreens in Windows still? Have you tried updating your pebkac drivers?

And to stop for a moment, and think that this much-lauded "Unix-based" rock-solid OS can be brought low by some little stupid eyecandy gadget...that's damn sad. Glass houses, etc etc....

I have to ask... Have you ever contributed a positive comment to an Apple Discussion? You seem to be one of the more negative people around here... Just curious.

Well, one has to define 'bring down the system' as to the meaning. For example, lets say you have a UNIX with an Xorg server running on it. If the Xorg server freezes, but the underlying operating system stays in tact - that is, you can log into it from another computer via an ssh session, does that mean the system is still alive?

In the case of MacOS X; if the UI freezes, and the operating system underneath stays in tact, is it still 'up' :p

It is perfectly plausible for an application to bring an operating system to its knee's, and yet, the underlying operating system still remain in tact.

Set myself up for that one didn't I? LOL.

In all seriousness though, the new Graphics Drivers are obscenely fast, no more stuttering in Second Life, however, I retain all the other issues that I was having with it...stupid Linden Labs and their not knowing how to code for anything but Windows. (And their Windows client isn't much better, Memory Outages on 2GB under XP...wow.)

If you want to experience pain, grab a copy of Simcity 4 and run it on the highest spec G5. I remember when I had a G5 1.8Ghz iMac with 2gb of memory. That game was horrible, no matter how many updates have been released for it.

Btw, universal update released in April 2007, it is now August 2008, and still no final release available.

Please, Apple, buy out these 2 bit companies, hire some smart boffins, and get them fixing up the code - because right now, a blind monkey could programme better than some of the software houses out there.

If you want to experience pain, grab a copy of Simcity 4 and run it on the highest spec G5. I remember when I had a G5 1.8Ghz iMac with 2gb of memory. That game was horrible, no matter how many updates have been released for it.

Btw, universal update released in April 2007, it is now August 2008, and still no final release available.

Please, Apple, buy out these 2 bit companies, hire some smart boffins, and get them fixing up the code - because right now, a blind monkey could programme better than some of the software houses out there.

I remember trying to run that on my G4 Tower... Good God that wasn't fun. ;)

What ****es me off about Second Life is that it (semi) works on the Lenovo T60p right next to my MacBook Pro, so it tells me that their coding is at fault there... (Well, that and the hundreds of Mac Users on their Support Forums complaining.)

I have to ask... Have you ever contributed a positive comment to an Apple Discussion? You seem to be one of the more negative people around here... Just curious.

I think I will, once you contribute something negative (or even realistic). Seems those two occurrences might happen with about the same frequency...

;)

In all honesty, I love Apple products. But I like -all- tech, be it Apple, *nix or Microsoft. I don't -worship- a portion of it as some infallible perfect gift from the gods on high from Mount Jobs. More than anything else...I just like stirring the pot.

I think I will, once you contribute something negative (or even realistic). Seems those two occurrences might happen with about the same frequency...

;)

In all honesty, I love Apple products. But I like -all- tech, be it Apple, *nix or Microsoft. I don't -worship- a portion of it as some infallible perfect gift from the gods on high from Mount Jobs. More than anything else...I just like stirring the pot.

Actually I've been very critical of products such as Mobile Me and even the MacBook Air. :)

Actually I've been very critical of products such as Mobile Me and even the MacBook Air. :)

Riddle me this: when you create a MobileMe account in Mail after 10.5.4 and the MobileMe update, it sets up the outgoing server as port 25. Previously, when the service was .Mac, this port number was 587. Why does it do this?

Ironically enough, using the default configuration for that only works half the time (the other half of the time, I will get outgoing server errors), whereas when I change the outgoing port number to 587, everything suddenly works. I've ruled out the possibility of it being an ISP issue.

I think perhaps you and I would differ in our definition of 'very critical', but fair enough. ;)