How many people have bought or would be HD tvs online

I am considering this Samsung from Newegg. I am a bit skeptical about buying TV's online though. This tv will be used for a dorm room this fall so my parents are actually going to give me around $300-$400 (awesome :p)! I just found a way around the question that I know they will ask "what if it is broken or I have to return it"?

That's why I've come to Neowin today to ask how many people have actually purchased a TV online from retailers such as Amazon, Newegg, etc"?

Thanks

Edit: I forgot to mention this post is kind of a continuation of this one from last week. :p

I bought the Samsung 32" 720p television from newegg for Christmas when they were having a $300 rebate sale. The box arrived in prime condition, never had a problem with it.

I've bought both my LCD HDTV's online, through Amazon and I cant' remember where the other one came from, but they both arrived in pristine condition! One was a 26" Samsung from Amazon and the other came freight on a pallet and all, was 37".

Another option would be to find the same TV in a brick-and-mortar store and see if they would price-match. I did this at a few years ago when I bought my LCD monitor.

Online will be fine :) And have fun having a 32" LCD HDTV on campus. I have my 32" LCD HDTV with my XBOX360 and digital hi-def cable, and I always have people over playing/watching/etc, it's pretty cool :)

Although Newegg is a very credible online store, I have a problem with very expensive & sizeable electronics being shipped around, just too many chances for something to get jarred loose, cracked, or broken. I'd definitely look for what you want somewhere near to your location (A real store). I just bought a Mitsubishi 65" DLP 120hz TV, and even if I could've saved $100-$200, it wouldn't be worth the headache you'd be enduring afterwards trying to RMA the thing - remember, almost ALWAYS, you have to pay shipping costs to return stuff!

Both of my TV's, a 40" Samsung LCD 720p, and my 50" Sony DLP 1080p, were both purchased online, and both came with no problems at all. One was from Amazon (the Sony) and one was from a very sketchy site called next gen plasma, but I called and spoke to a human, so I went with them as they were by far the cheapest out there.

So it really is fine. jerzdawg actually explained this whole thing to me last week as he is my friend in real life as I think you know, and I said it then and I will say it now, just go ahead and get it already!!

I did buy a Samsung 32" from DigitalDirect and the there was a problem with the stand not fitting in properly. They had gladly replaced it without any problem. It's been fine since an year.

Yeah I bought mine from Play.com, I had to go through a crazy security process as it was the first thing I'd bought from them (and it was high value), but all in all really good service.

Both of my TV's, a 40" Samsung LCD 720p, and my 50" Sony DLP 1080p, were both purchased online, and both came with no problems at all. One was from Amazon (the Sony) and one was from a very sketchy site called next gen plasma, but I called and spoke to a human, so I went with them as they were by far the cheapest out there.

So it really is fine. jerzdawg actually explained this whole thing to me last week as he is my friend in real life as I think you know, and I said it then and I will say it now, just go ahead and get it already!!

He he he, thanks for the encouragement!

I bought a 32" Samsung from Amazon. The only problem I had was that they delivered the thing to my neighbor's house because I wasn't home. They had called the day before to ask when they should come to drop it off and I told them I would be at work until about 4. They said that would be okay, yet they apparently came about midday to find I wasn't home (obviously). It turned out to be no big deal, only because these neighbors are really nice people and I'd trust them with such an expensive item, but that was a careless mistake on the delivery company's part.

The box was in good condition (scrapes and faded ink, but no dents, tears, etc.)

This is really surprising. I was sure somebody sooner or later would come in here and tell me how horrible it was to purchase online (box delivered was dented, tore, etc.). I am just overwhelmed by all the positive responses.

I just did the math after considering buying at Circuit City ($940 but over $100 after $60 tax), so Newegg still is looking like a great deal at the moment.

Having loaded trucks for UPS, I can assure not every TV makes it through flawlessly.

However, most do, and honestly, the more detailed the box is (like TV boxes) the better package handlers can load it so it won't have any problems.

And with the packages that don't make it, you can refuse delivery service due to damage when it's delivered to you. Just inspect the package before you sign for it, it should be obvious if something major went wrong.

Having loaded trucks for UPS, I can assure not every TV makes it through flawlessly.

However, most do, and honestly, the more detailed the box is (like TV boxes) the better package handlers can load it so it won't have any problems.

And with the packages that don't make it, you can refuse delivery service due to damage when it's delivered to you. Just inspect the package before you sign for it, it should be obvious if something major went wrong.

That is good to know. I've convinced my mother at least, so I've got something there. I think I'm making headway! :D

I know you seem to be set on Newegg... do they have free shipping? I only ask because if you get the white glove delivery from Amazon.com they actually open the box, allow you to plug in and inspect the TV. If there is anything wrong you can decline delivery and they take the box right then and there. At that point you just need to reschedule the new tv with amazon. As other have said.... the majority of these online purchases go through with no issues. My LN52a650 came from Amazon white glove delivery and it was perfect... I actually could have gotten my tv quicker if I would have called the local delivery place instead of waiting for amazon.

I bought my Westinghouse tv/monitor online from buydig.com I believe about a year and a half ago. The box it shipped in was kind of raggedy, but the retail box for the tv/monitor was perfect as they put the retail box inside of another box and was surrounded by packing peanuts. Very nice, and arrived in great condition.

I know you seem to be set on Newegg... do they have free shipping? I only ask because if you get the white glove delivery from Amazon.com they actually open the box, allow you to plug in and inspect the TV. If there is anything wrong you can decline delivery and they take the box right then and there. At that point you just need to reschedule the new tv with amazon. As other have said.... the majority of these online purchases go through with no issues. My LN52a650 came from Amazon white glove delivery and it was perfect... I actually could have gotten my tv quicker if I would have called the local delivery place instead of waiting for amazon.

Well the only reason I was leaning more towards Newegg rather than Amazon was because of price. Amazon is about $75 more.