Stargate Universe (Season 1)

Poll added by Fred Derf on April 10th  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Who should lead on Destiny?

hmm i do wonder how exactly this is going to involve stargates. it seems like they're just gonna fly around in a spaceship. i'm really hoping this is good but even it is i'm less hopeful it will actually have anything to do with stargate.

• 1 month later...

Robert Carlyle is Master of Stargate

Not unlike a certain battery-operated bunny, the Stargate franchise keeps going and going and going?

To wit: Scottish thesp Robert Carlyle (The Full Monty) has been tapped to headline the brand's third live-action series, Stargate Universe. Carlyle, most recently seen in Fox's 24: Redemption pic, will play Dr. David Rush, the leader of a group of soldiers, scientists, and civilians who have been stranded on an ancient ship in the far reaches of space.

"We are very excited about having an actor of this caliber, around which we can build a strong, character-based series," said series creators Brad Wright and Robert Cooper in an exclusive statement. "Robert Carlyle will engage a broad audience and we hope to deliver a show that demonstrates to new viewers that the loyalty of longtime fans of the Stargate franchise has been well-deserved."

SGU, which will launch via a two-hour movie on Sci Fi next July, is being billed as the edgy, rebellious sibling to Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. Or as Wright/Cooper put it: "We see SGU as an innovative step forward and an opportunity to expand the franchise."

Heh I was just gonna post this Rappy. Your lucky you live in the UK cuz if I was up earlier today I woulda posted it! Ha! :D

I can't believe they got an actor of Carlyle's caliber to sign on for the new series. Brings an air of distinction if you ask me :)

'Universe' does sound pretty cool, but cancelling Atlantis is just bloody stupid! SG-1 was such a high rating show for Sci-Fi, but they cancelled it, Atlantis isn't bad, but they cancelled it. Why oh why do they keep cancelling good shows, turning them into stupid 2 hour movies.

How about Sci-Fi actually keep a Stargate show going long enough, and let it run properly, instead of screwing around with it and trying to annoy fans/viewers.

Atlantis was never as good as it could have been. They had so many opportunities for good story arcs but ignored them.

But Stargate was never about spaceship travel, it was about exploring worlds through the gates, not at the last minute, become Star Trek. I miss the early seasons of SG1, season 4 in particular was brilliant. And they also strayed from those base religions, explaining why there was religion on earth. Its something no other Sci-fi show has done. Now, don't get me wrong, I will enjoy it, I just wish it was something more akin to the original film.

I agree. But I won't judge until I see it first.

oh wow robert carlyle, thats pretty awesome.

guess that kills of the doctor who rumors, lol.

that is unless they are going to go the way of robert patrick, the only well known actor to start off stargate atlantis and then kill him off an hour later, lol.

• 2 months later...
The latest Sci Fi Channel original series has rounded out its cast. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Lou Diamond Phillips, Ming-Na, Elyse Levesque and Alaina Huffman have all joined the cast of Stargate Universe.

The acting quartet join the already-announced cast of Robert Carlyle, Justin Louis, David Blue, Jamil Walker Smith and Brian J. Smith on the series. The story will follow a group of survivors who, after being forced through a Stargate after their hidden ship was attacked, find themselves on an ancient vessel that's already locked on an unknown destination, with no way to return to Earth.

Phillips will play Col. Telford, the leader of the failed mission, while Ming-Na will portray Camile Wray, an executive that oversees the Stargate operations. Levesque will portray Chloe Armstrong, the daughter of a U.S. Senator and Huffman will portray the field medic, Tamara Johansen.

The series, which began production in Vancouver this week, is slated to debut on the Sci Fi Channel in October with a two-part premiere.

Source

I just started watching Stargate (I have no idea how I was able to miss watching since its been on since 1997) and am totally loving it.

I'm totally stoked for a new series.

Wow, they got Lou Diamond Phillips. Thank god they didn't pick up some 20 year old to play the leader of the group. At least Phillips is in his 30's or 40's. The 90210-ish vibe was getting pretty thick :D

But I'm happy so far. Can't do better than Robert Carlyle as it is. I just hope Phillips isn't killed off in the first episode like Robert Patrick was on Atlantis. Like Corris said. :p

Sweet. It's too bad Atlantis was cancelled (it was awesome while it lasted), but this sounds pretty awesome as well.

Yeah :( still think of it this way, at least Atlantis went out on a high note (instead of sinking to oblivion) and we have the Atlantis movies (and the SG-1 ones) to look forward too plus Universe, so all in all things are looking up :happy: (Y)

• 4 weeks later...

Trailer to debut Tonight!

stargatexl_l3.jpg

At some point during the series finale of Battlestar Galactica tonight, Sci Fi will unveil a 30-second trailer for Stargate: Universe featuring a first look at the show's crew. Actually, make that a second look. This exclusive cast shot above is, technically speaking, the first look.

Study it. Discuss it. Share it with friends. And then try connect the names with the faces, 'cause I don't have the time to do that whole left-right-front row-back row thing.

Here are those names now (again, in no particular order): Robert Carlyle, Lou Diamond Phillips, Justin Louis, Brian J. Smith, Elyse Levesque, David Blue, Alaina Huffman, Jamil Walker Smith, and Ming-Na.

Okay, I'll get you started: Carlyle is front and center.

SG:U, which is being billed as the edgier cousin to Stargate Atlantis and Stargate SG-1, debuts this fall.

Eh, I'm not very excited to see this. Hopefully it will be better than I'm expecting. Hopefully they trailer will show some of the actual show, instead of just who the characters are.

Eh, I'm not very excited to see this. Hopefully it will be better than I'm expecting. Hopefully they trailer will show some of the actual show, instead of just who the characters are.

I loved SG1, I hated Atlantis but I will give this a chance!

lol looking at the cast just reminds me of battlestar ... asian chick, hot blonde chick ... i'll give it a go, ill probably end up watching every episode just like atlantis ... they really stuffed the ending of atlantis, it was messy and made 0 sense.

That's a stretch to assume that a fan base that appreciates good scripts, good acting, and a quality storyline are going to settle for the next chapter in the Brad Wright/Robert Cooper crapfest that has become the Stargate franchise post season 7 of SG-1.

I couldn't agree more! - Especially about the Post Season 7 of SG1 after that the Franchise lost its direction.

I'm hopeful for Stargate Universe because they got a great cast and its seemingly set so far away from Human civilisation that they really are on there own and its like a new beginning for the writers to come up with some very unique alien cultures.

I don't expect this to be great or good but if I keep my expectations low they don't have to work hard to impress me :p

I dunno if you can tell that from 30 seconds, Rappy.

Well I like the cast especially Carlyle and the action in the 30 seconds looks good I mean I would have to see the pilot to judge it but it looks alright.

Edited by Rappy