Stargate Universe (Season 1)

Poll added by Fred Derf on April 10th  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Who should lead on Destiny?

I loved SG1, I hated Atlantis but I will give this a chance!

SG1 was amazing, especially when RDA was a member of SG1. The later years not so much. Atlantis was good in the beginning but then started spiraling out of control.

I'm curious to see who the villain is in the new show. If they will use the Wraith, Replicators (most likely) :angry: or just maybe something new. Better not be the Ori.

As far as the trailer? Eh.. Darkness, some lights, lots of people, shaky camera, and intense looks from it's stars. Wild, wild stuff. Then again how much can you really tell in 30 seconds. At least they didn't start it off by bragging about their past series'.

SG1 was amazing, especially when RDA was a member of SG1. The later years not so much. Atlantis was good in the beginning but then started spiraling out of control.

I'm curious to see who the villain is in the new show. If they will use the Wraith, Replicators (most likely) :angry: or just maybe something new. Better not be the Ori.

As far as the trailer? Eh.. Darkness, some lights, lots of people, shaky camera, and intense looks from it's stars. Wild, wild stuff. Then again how much can you really tell in 30 seconds. At least they didn't start it off by bragging about their past series'.

The producers said there won't be a villain in Universe. It'll be more about internal conflicts within the group. From the teaser it seems like it'll have a BSG-like vibe.

The preview seemed rather dull. It honestly didn't feel like Stargate.

I think one of my favorite scenes was when the only human cruiser was defending SG-1 in Antarctica. The CG was brilliantly done and the fight was just plain intense. If Universe has more of that planned than I am totally watching that series.

It reminds me of a mash-up between the first season of Atlantis and Jewel Staite's "Space Cases" :s

But sadly, without Jewel Staite :(

• 2 weeks later...

Stargate Universe - Richard Dean Anderson to Guest

Brad Wright, co-creator of SCI FI Channel's upcoming Stargate Universe, told Gateworld that Stargate SG-1 star Richard Dean Anderson ("Jack O'Neill") will guest-star on the new show. SG-1 cast member Gary Jones ("Walter Harriman"), meanwhile, told fans he would also appear in the new series.

"Rick is doing episodes of Universe," Wright told GateWorld. "He was just here yesterday shooting an episode of Universe with us. So that relationship is always ongoing, and it's good to have him back."

The show's fifth episode, "Earth," is currently filming and is likely one in which Anderson will appear.

For his part, Jones appeared on stage at Creation Entertainment's official Stargate convention in Vancouver, Canada, and told fans that he is appearing in an episode of Universe with Anderson. He said that Gen. O'Neill will have been promoted to three-star general for the episode they filmed together.

Jones added that he was asked to appear in the Universe premiere, "Air."

Stargate Universe?a spinoff of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis?follows the adventures of explorers who start off on a reconnaissance mission to the Destiny, a ship built by the Ancients, only to wind up on a never-ending mission when the crew learns the ship can't return to Earth.

Stargate Universe will premiere later this year and stars Robert Carlyle, Justin Louis, Brian J. Smith, Alaina Huffman, David Blue, Ming-Na and Lou Diamond Phillips.

Mitch in Austin, Texas: What's going on with Stargate Universe?

Lots of dying, that's what! Robert Carlyle gives us the Stargate scoop: "In the first three hours [of the first episode] there are three deaths. By episode six, there is a suicide, so people are really struggling up there. Of the first six episodes, the first three are all in one [story] called "Air." The next one is called 'Fire,' the next one is called 'Earth,' and the next one is called 'Water.' What makes this different from the previous Stargate franchise pieces is that it's a lot darker."

Stargate vets Anderson and Shanks to appear in Universe

SyFy's Stargate Universe will kick off with help from two familiar faces this fall. Richard Dean Anderson and Michael Shanks will reprise their Stargate: SG-1 roles in the series premiere of Universe, which is billed as a darker, character driven sci-fi show.

Shanks' appearance will be a one-time cameo, according to consulting producer Joseph Mallozzi. Anderson, however, will make multiple guest appearances in Universe in addition to showing up in the two-hour premiere. The actor said he would make "slim appearances" in the first "half dozen" episodes or so.

Anderson and Shanks both made guest appearances in the first Stargate spinoff, Stargate Atlantis, but I didn't expect them to show up in Universe. Judging by almost everything the show's producers and some of the actors are saying, Universe will be more of a character drama that distinguishes itself from the alien-based adventures and the, er, goofiness of SG-1 and Atlantis. It almost seems like the franchise is trying to reinvent itself with Universe, which is why it comes as a surprise to me that Stargate vets Anderson and Shanks will be a part of this series.

Still, I'm not complaining. Actually, I'm looking forward to watching Jack O'Neil and Daniel Jackson dive into this darker version of Stargate. SG-1's Gary Jones will also make a cameo in the Universe premiere as Gate tech Walter Harriman.

I would rather watch a show showing the Ancients at their absolute peak, before they all basically ascend

Wraith, replicators... and who knows what else. Instead of watching humans struggle to survive with ancient but uberly advanced technology, show the ancients taking their technology to its limits... discovering/understanding ascension... etc

Also, facing that other group of ancients, that'd be pretty fun

I doubt this would be able to go into many seasons, but it'd be interesting for me to watch :p

• 2 weeks later...

Stargate Universe - Ming-Na will play a Lesbian

Ming-Na, one of the regular characters on SCI FI's upcoming Stargate Universe, will play a lesbian, one of two gay characters on the show, Gateworld reported.

"There are at least one and potentially more gay characters on Universe," series creator Robert C. Cooper told fans at the official Vancouver Stargate convention earlier this month, according to the site.

Added executive producer and creator Brad Wright: "There's actually two."

One of those characters is Camille Wray, the I.O.A. representative on board the Destiny, new casting documents reveal, according to the site. The character is played by actress Ming-Na. Her orientation will be revealed in the show's seventh episode, "Life," in which viewers will meet Wray's longtime partner back on Earth, Sharon. The character is listed as a lead guest and possibly recurring.

The creators say other incarnations of Stargate had gay characters, but none that were revealed on screen.

"This goes towards our goal to make the characters on Universe as complex and complicated and realistic and identifiable as we can, to as many people as we can," Cooper said. "And that's not just a desire for ratings. That's the desire to portray humanity and make a show that is saying something about who we are."

Stargate Universe premieres this fall.

What a load of crap about 'other incarnations of Stargate had gay characters'. bull****. We saw opposite sex love interests for every single main character on both shows.

They want to get hype and probably complaints (and therefore ratings) about having Ming-Na in some steamy lesbian sex scenes. Which is fine, but don't give us the BS about how others in the series were gay, when every main cast member has been shown to be straight.

Exploiting lesbianism for male demographic viewership; if you seriously want to try and pull Gene Roddenberry humanity issues out of your ass and put them in your show and make it legitimate you find the two the most average looking gay or lesbian actors and make the story no more or less relevant than the heterosexual script elements.

This reminds me of a movie that i just watched called 'Bikini Girls from the Lost Planet' in where a couple of lezos from outter space go to earth to get preggers.

I couldn't agree more! - Especially about the Post Season 7 of SG1 after that the Franchise lost its direction.

I'm hopeful for Stargate Universe because they got a great cast and its seemingly set so far away from Human civilisation that they really are on there own and its like a new beginning for the writers to come up with some very unique alien cultures.

I don't expect this to be great or good but if I keep my expectations low they don't have to work hard to impress me :p

I enjoyed all of the SG-1 seasons and the movies. Atlantis was meh after season 1 and Im hoping this new series is good as I need more stargate.

Seasons 9 and 10 of SG1 were my favorite. I guess because I really like Ben Browder from Farscape.

Why is it that everytime there is a lesbian relationship in a show, people always say its just for the ratings? People said the same thing when it happened on Bones and House. They can never show a lesbian relationship?

I would rather watch a show showing the Ancients at their absolute peak, before they all basically ascend

Wraith, replicators... and who knows what else. Instead of watching humans struggle to survive with ancient but uberly advanced technology, show the ancients taking their technology to its limits... discovering/understanding ascension... etc

I don't want to come across patronising, so if I do, please accept my apologies.

I don't think you really would want to see an "Ancients" series... It would be a fanboy dream for a short while, but it would be short lived. TV shows where we can relate to the characters work a lot better and greater longevity. A show just about the ancients would die quickly.

So basically, they took the things that made SG-1 so great: the campiness, the comedy, the imaginative storylines, and the likeable characters; got rid of them, and threw a bad imitation of BSG+LOST+Voyager under the "Stargate" name? Yeah, no thanks.

Don't get me wrong. I've watched SG-1 since it began, even when it was still on Showtime. I fell in love with the series long ago (holy crap 12 years ago now!), but this new show seems like it's going to destroy what SG-1 was all about. I'll reserve final judgement until I see the pilot, but things are not looking optimistic.

edit:

I also agree with njlouch. An Ancients series would be fun to watch initially, but it would get old real fast.

Edited by spacer

This show just sounds worse and worse the more they talk about it. Just shutup until its aired!

Not that I have a problem with gays or lesbians :wub: but the fact that they felt obligated to tell us ahead of time ruins any good it could have done. If it was something that surprised us sure, but they seem to be trying to get the whole we have gay people too! watch our show attitude which doesn't help.

I don't have any problem with them announcing beforehand who is gay or otherwise. It's part of the plot/story and it's the producers choice after all. From what I've read about the first 11 episodes, it actually sounds alot like SG-1 used to be before they went and did mostly Earth based stories. I don't know about the humor and camp, but there is at least that. Also, it's got a great cast so far, mostly unknowns, but a few known actors (whom I love) and we do get RDA, Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks and Gary Jones so far. Maybe we'll get Christopher Judge as well, who knows.

• 1 month later...

How about a scoop on the upcoming Stargate Universe? ? Aled, in Walesb>

MATT: When SGU debuts on Sci Fi Channel Oct. 2 ? at which point, remember, Sci Fi will be known as SyFy ? viewers will be quick to pick up on the special something that sets this Stargate apart from any predecessors. As one source tells me, "Death is a big part of this show." So, I'd tread very, very carefully when getting attached to people you think will be series regulars.

Also, facing that other group of ancients, that'd be pretty fun

I doubt this would be able to go into many seasons, but it'd be interesting for me to watch :p

+1 carn't wait for more stargate