Nikon D90, with HD movie recording

d90specsview.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond90/

Nikon D90 Key Features

• 12.9 megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor (effective pixels: 12.3 million)
  • 3.0-inch 920,000 pixel (VGA x 3 colors) TFT-LCD (same as D3 and D300)
  • Live View with contrast-detect AF, face detection
  • Image sensor cleaning (sensor shake)
  • Illuminated focus points
  • Movie capture at up to 1280 x 720 (720p) 24 fps with mono sound
  • IS0 200-3200 range (100-6400 expanded)
  • 4.5 frames per second continuous shooting (buffer: 7 RAW, 25 JPEG fine, 100 JPEG Normal)
  • Expeed image processing engine
  • 3D tracking AF (11 point)
  • Short startup time, viewfinder blackout and shutter lag
  • Slightly improved viewfinder (96% frame coverage)
  • Extensive in-camera retouching including raw development and straightening
  • Improved user interface
  • New optional compact GPS unit (fits on hot shoe)
  • Same battery and vertical grip as D80
  • Vignetting control in-camera
  • 72 thumbnail and calendar view in playback

$1000 USD body only.

nikon-d90-a-007.jpg

What's significant about this? HD Movie recording with a large APS-C sensor and SLR lens. Excellent noise performance and image quality. :| There is a caveat though that it's limited to 5 minutes per capture and MF only--not worried about MF part, but I do wish it went more than 5 minutes. (probably to save the sensor from heating up)

To be honest I was expecting a bigger ISO range, 6400 is in even some of their compact cameras ( Yes i know this is not fair comparison), I dunno After the last 3 behemoths D3 D700 and D300... Oh well, We'll have to see how it performs for the price point it's in against other CMOS sensors! hopefully reviews come up quickly!

Aside from the video recording, which is absolutely awesome if you use it with some high end, light sensitive lenses like 50mm f1.4 or 70-200mm f2.8, I still would rather cash out for the D700 just for the sake of FX sensor.

Other than that I'm quite happy with my D80 for now.

The D90 can't have better features than the D300!

Anyway, I just preordered off of amazon.com!

I know, but I wouldn't consider noise range and/or performance a feature in dSLRs :p

What was the total for preordering on amazon crazzy? if you don't mind that is... ?

To be honest I was expecting a bigger ISO range, 6400 is in even some of their compact cameras ( Yes i know this is not fair comparison), I dunno After the last 3 behemoths D3 D700 and D300... Oh well, We'll have to see how it performs for the price point it's in against other CMOS sensors! hopefully reviews come up quickly!

Same sensor as the D300--which has equivalent iso performance as the 40D. Anything above 6400 wouldn't be pretty.

Anyhow, Chase Jarvis has an excellent write/video/pics of the D90 that he's been testing for a while: http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2008/08/c...ting-nikon.html

picture-16.jpg

picture-19.jpg

picture-18.jpg

picture-3.jpg

picture-17.jpg

I'm not so excited about the video part (personally could care less) but the rest of it is yummy :)

I'll take two!

(Anyone wanna loan me a couple grand?)

I know, but I wouldn't consider noise range and/or performance a feature in dSLRs :p

What was the total for preordering on amazon crazzy? if you don't mind that is... ?

Well I got just the body, so it's $999.95. No sales tax. And I got 2 day shipping, which was $14.something. So basically $1015.

Niiiiiiicee! I hope they will make a price drop for the D80.

Yea, wait until late september once the D90's been on the market a few days and I'm sure there will be something.

It's not on amazon.co.uk :(

Although I haven't had my D60 for long, I am tempted with this, but then again, I don't know enough about dSLRs yet!

I'm not so excited about the video part (personally could care less) but the rest of it is yummy :)

I'll take two!

(Anyone wanna loan me a couple grand?)

I charge interest with a baseball bat and a motorcycle chain.

Not too sure why Live View is a good thing though. It kinda crosses the bridge between P&S and DSLR - makes me think the cameraman is a bit less professional. However, that is my opinion :) Still tempted to ditch my D60 and get one of these beasts as I guess bracketing will come as standard which will help me loads.

Live view is very helpful when you're shooting in awkward positions that won't let you see through the view finder. I've encountered this a lot. I also hear it's quite helpful when using a macro lens, as you can zoom in using live view and focus on the exact spot you want. So it's not for "less professional" uses at all.

Yep........Good bye to my Canon 350D.

I think I'm gonna buy me one of these, specially considering it has HD Video playback which is v cool. Time to shop around!!

So amazon.com sent me a email today giving me an estimated arrival date.

So I preordered on August 27th. So it took them two weeks to give me an ETA. And that ETA is October 7th THROUGH November 8th.

A WHOLE DAMN MONTH!? Nikon says they'll be shipping in September. I got 1 day shipping which means it doesn't ship until october 6th at the extreme earliest.

:(

I hope they greatly exaggerated the shipping date.