[Non-US] Who do you want to win the US elections

203 members have voted

1. 1. You choose

• Obama
    • McCain
    • Neither
    • Arnold Swarchenegger or another celeb (If it were possible)

I have trouble thinking of McCain as a 'bad' person. He doesn't really seem to leave much of an impression at all, in fact. Energetic moments seem forced, but I don't like to hold that against him, either. There's no need for a presidential candidate to have the personality of a motivational speaker at a high school D.A.R.E. assembly.

I think an awful lot is expected out of Obama were he to win. He could be very good for our country diplomatically, and he would do wonders for our reputation on the world stage. But he could be a very poor president, instead. It would be a shame, because he's set the standard for black candidates for decades to come, but it would teach some of us that it doesn't matter whether we're breaking new ground with a candidate. Letting the revolutionary feel of having a black candidate overwhelm us is risky, and I don't know if I'd have the stomach to see it all play out the next time Hillary runs on the squat-to-pee ticket.

As for people who feel like the universe has betrayed them because some other candidate didn't make it through the primaries, they need to just get over it. They're exhibiting a very childish, irresponsible attitude that ultimately disrespects the politicians they preferred. The Ron Pauls of the world will have a chance to campaign again in the future, and the best way you can support them is to vote for the candidate today who could bring the country in a direction closest to your pick's vision, so you aren't stuck voting for an even longer shot 4/8/12 years from now. Wasting your vote out of 'principle' is a great way to feel smug, but will never do anything for the greater good. Ever.

I have a question for the Europeans reading the thread, specifically those that might know even a little bit about the policies of McCain and Obama:

How liberal is Obama to you? How conservative is McCain? Let's put it on a scale on 0-10, 0 being as far leftist as is possible, 5 being perfectly centered and 10 being as far right as possible.

I just feel that America has a skewed look at how far to either side these guys really are - which is why Obama is leading this particular poll. I feel like in the global scheme of things he's actually pretty centered and not as far left as American media makes him out to be.

I have a question for the Europeans reading the thread, specifically those that might know even a little bit about the policies of McCain and Obama:

How liberal is Obama to you? How conservative is McCain? Let's put it on a scale on 0-10, 0 being as far leftist as is possible, 5 being perfectly centered and 10 being as far right as possible.

I just feel that America has a skewed look at how far to either side these guys really are - which is why Obama is leading this particular poll. I feel like in the global scheme of things he's actually pretty centered and not as far left as American media makes him out to be.

What's wrong with how the media defines far left? "College educated with an upper-class income." Can't be a bigger Hitler-loving pinko commie hippie than that, right?

I'd vote for Obama, why? Because he seems the most human out of all the candidates, and personally - I could see him actually doing some good to the country and increasing it's reputation internationaly. The bush administration has completely destroyed americas economy and image (internationally), and I can only see McCain doing the same.

I think that the US left wing is sometimes slightly more right wing than our left wing parties, if that makes sense. I wouldn't have any idea on a 0-10 scale though.

I think you are right with regards to America having a slightly skewed scale, but I guess it's relative to the country itself. This is an interesting article on the difference in opinions of the people in Britain and America by their political affinity.

The gap between Britain and America is widest on religion: no surprise there, as Britain is famously a post-Christian society and Americans are, if anything, rediscovering the faith of their fathers. But the difference in views is so wide that even British Conservatives are a great deal more secular than American Democrats are. The two are a bit closer on social values (abortion, homosexuality and so forth), and they overlap on ideology (mainly, how active the state should be), with Britain's Tories to the right of America's Democrats.

They overlap again on how free their countries should be to intervene militarily (both the Tories and Labour are more hawkish than the Democrats). Britons are more international than the Americans, keener on free trade and globalisation. Views coincide most nearly on climate change—ironically, the area where the two governments have been least in step.

http://www.economist.com/world/britain/dis...ory_id=10926321

it's pretty common knowledge that US is more conservative than the rest of the world. If I had to guestimate I'd say that everything in the US is at least 1-2 points to the right of everyone else.

it's pretty common knowledge that US is more conservative than the rest of the world. If I had to guestimate I'd say that everything in the US is at least 1-2 points to the right of everyone else.

ever heard of India?

Obama :) TBH, only because he's the one I hear most about :p

On UK telly they only ever seem to mention him for example today they went through all the main headlines and then said in other news mccain has chosen unknown palin and it was like 20 seconds while Obama had 12 minutes for the DNC.

I know I live in the US, but I really don't want either to win lol. It think they both suck horribly but if I had to choose, I would be pick McCain because my views line up with his in more areas when it comes to global warming and abortion, etc.

I'm American. I'm voting for a third party candidate. Republicans and Democrats are just to similar now days. However, the most important vote I could ever make would be a vote of "Yes" to disband that damn FCC.

I want uncensored TV damn it. It's at the point where they blur out a thong now :rolleyes: I'm sick of it.

I'm American. I'm voting for a third party candidate. Republicans and Democrats are just to similar now days. However, the most important vote I could ever make would be a vote of "Yes" to disband that damn FCC.

I want uncensored TV damn it. It's at the point where they blur out a thong now :rolleyes: I'm sick of it.

Eh? It's quite the opposite where as much skin as shown as possible.

Obama scares the hell out of me.... The way he just came out of nowhere and swept the country (and the world?) by storm.... they way he has millions of followers thinking he's gods gift to the world's problems... this dude reeks of "anti-christ"........

Needless to say, *I* am not voting for him.

PS- why should this be a non-us question? He's running for prez in MY country.... why should my opinion not matter?