anti-lock brakes

i have a question...what function do anti-lock breaks perform? obviously they keep the breaks from locking, but what happens to a car when the breaks lock

Its for snow, duh!! It makes so the breaks don't lock and don't slip as much. So when you hit ice or snow... they sense that they are slipping so it makes the tires turn in small but rapid amounts causing a car/truck not to slip as much and not lock up. Wonderful invention.... my pickup makes a grinding noise when it enables... kinda weird but you get use to it.

Its for snow, duh!! It makes so the breaks don't lock and don't slip as much. So when you hit ice or snow... they sense that they are slipping so it makes the tires turn in small but rapid amounts causing a car/truck not to slip as much and not lock up. Wonderful invention.... my pickup makes a grinding noise when it enables... kinda weird but you get use to it.

Yep - it helps, but once your on ice it really doesn't matter.

Also, if you have to make an emergency stop your able to turn with out having to skid and loose control.

I've only had to use them about 5 times, everytime I hate the groaning/griding sound they make when they are activated. My pedals also vibrate a litte.

the breaks do no lock and prevents the tires from skidding, the car actually stops faster and sooner with antilock... although they are safer, i never licked the feel and glad my car does not have them

Ummm - they make a groaning/grinding sound?? Uhh I think you have something wrong with your breaks. They should not be making a groaning/grinding sound - those types of sounds from your brakes - is BAD!

the breaks do no lock and prevents the tires from skidding, the car actually stops faster and sooner with antilock... although they are safer, i never licked the feel and glad my car does not have them

Wow. Learn something new everyday.

Thanks for the info.

Ummm - they make a groaning/grinding sound??  Uhh I think you have something wrong with your breaks.  They should not be making a groaning/grinding sound - those types of sounds from your brakes - is BAD!

When I was learning how to drive I asked my instructor if its good that they make that sound. He says that its normal. If anti-lock isn't enabled and they make that sound then its bad, but its normal to have griding/groaning sounds with some vibration when its enabled. In my in-car for drivers ed we tested them out and they did the same thing as mentioned above. The in-car was an 98 oldsmobile alero, and my car's a 1999 Chevy Cavalier.

When I was learning how to drive I asked my instructor if its good that they make that sound. He says that its normal. If anti-lock isn't enabled and they make that sound then its bad, but its normal to have griding/groaning sounds with some vibration when its enabled. In my in-car for drivers ed we tested them out and they did the same thing as mentioned above. The in-car was an 98 oldsmobile alero, and my car's a 1999 Chevy Cavalier.

You are correct. The sounds are the hydraulics pulsing as they grab and release to prevent the skid. Gets pretty busy down there. :rolleyes:

Actually the stoping distance is almost always 'less' without antiskid :blink: Of course, that is assuming that you have a very experenced and skilled driver :rolleyes:

Depends on what car... My dads car has ABS but it doesnt make sound but the feeling sux. When you hit the brakes really fast the pedal pushes your foot back...

they pump the car's brakes at a rapid rate so that it will slow the car down without skidding or losing control.

That is a excelent way to put it man... :yes:

Whehn breaks lock, the wheels stop moving and the car is being stopped bhy the enourmous force of friction on the tire and pavement. This can be a good thing, if you need to stop suddenly.

But it can also be a bad thing.

When your breaks lock, you have no control of the car. It can suddenly spin into a 360. ABS prevents this. But ABS also increases stopping distance.

So you decide.

I would rather have a car without ABS, but it's up to the man driving the car.

anti-lock breaks are for people who aren't too skilled with driving, and so it helps the driver maintain control

however if you want to stop faster you do something called thrshold breaking

which basically is that you slam on the breaks just until your wheels start skidding. and then let go, then do it again

the phyiscs behind this (because this is the kewl part) is that static friction is stronger than kinetic friction. when the wheels are rolling around, this is static (static meaning not moving) and when it's slipping it's kintetic (which means moving) friction

STEWEY!!!! (vodkacow's avatar) damn fox for taking that show off the air :angry: :angry: :angry:

u kno y rite??

it was cuz their episodes got to offensive.....

they were always stepping over the line with their jokes...

i think the last episode before they got banned was called "return of the jew"

Jesus Christ. How many people in this thread spelled the word Brakes wrong? It's BRAKES. Not Breaks. A break is when you fall and BREAK your leg. This thread is a spelling holocaust.

I'm not usually a spelling Nazi, but this thread is a great example of mass stupidity. Goddamn.

alright thanks, haha by quick question i didnt think itd start a 2 page thread but my friend was telling me how his brakes locked and he hit a fence, and i didnt really understand what he meant

Some of you guys have the wrong idea I think. ABS is installed to prevent the wheels from locking up when the brake is slammed down (in an emergency). If you have an old car without ABS then you can pump the brakes yourself, but in an emergency situation I'm sure even the most experienced drivers would like to have ABS. If your wheels lock up (without ABS) then you will probably lose the ability to steer effectively.