Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM

What do you think about this lense? I'm really keen on buying it, I've read a lot of good reports about it's predecessor (the one minus the IS) and I suppose this can only be an improvement.

Anyone here with good hands on experience or know somebody who has one?

What would you recommend?

What do you plan on using it for?

I have the Canon 70-200 2.8L non-is and love it.

Its razor sharp at F/2.8, unlike my Sigma 70-200 I used to have which wouldn't be near that sharp until F/4.5ish.

If you are shooting sports (like me) theres almost no need for IS, and you can pick one up used for around $900 (I found mine in near perfect condition on craig's list for $825) If not, and you are shooting more portraits etc, then the IS can be useful.

I upgraded from the F4/L to the F2.8/L and don't regret it. The 2.8 helps a ton indoors and at night for sports, and has a much more narrow depth of field

check out http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

thanks for the quick replies lads.. I'm going to be using it for wildlife and sports photography, portraits down the line but haven't spent much time on portrait photography.

I wish craigslist was in Ireland! :(

Wait a minute... Craigslist is now International.. but I guess it's not very popular here - not very many items on it. Good suggestion, I'll look around - prefer to buy new though, if I can (optics especially)

Edited by highonsnow

I wish craigslist was in Ireland! :(

I buy all my camera equipment from a Hong Kong company called DigitalRev. They have an online shop and an eBay shop. With the eBay listings, they tend to have little free extras, slightly cheaper and most of their listings cover your for import tax (very quick process if you get taxed). Anyway, the prices are a lot cheaper, i mean, stupidly cheap compared to the UK. So if you eBay for the lens, you'll most likely see their listings. A few people on this forum can vouch for them. Seriously the best company i have ever dealt with.

I buy all my camera equipment from a Hong Kong company called DigitalRev. They have an online shop and an eBay shop. With the eBay listings, they tend to have little free extras, slightly cheaper and most of their listings cover your for import tax (very quick process if you get taxed). Anyway, the prices are a lot cheaper, i mean, stupidly cheap compared to the UK. So if you eBay for the lens, you'll most likely see their listings. A few people on this forum can vouch for them. Seriously the best company i have ever dealt with.

Ah... someone who thinks along the same lines, I bought my EOS 40D off them.. they were a life saver, they wrote down the value of the camera as being ?135 instead of the ?600-700 that it should have been - saved me a fortune on customs tax! I would consider buying my lense(s) off them also

Nice shots Brandon, they really sell the lense. Any post production or are they straight from the camera (JPEG/RAW?)

Ah... someone who thinks along the same lines, I bought my EOS 40D off them.. they were a life saver, they wrote down the value of the camera as being ?135 instead of the ?600-700 that it should have been - saved me a fortune on customs tax! I would consider buying my lense(s) off them also

Nice shots Brandon, they really sell the lense. Any post production or are they straight from the camera (JPEG/RAW?)

Cropping was it. I had everything set up beforehand, so...

heres another of my favorites.... the ball is in focus. Its pretty baller (no pun intended)

simg2649zq3.jpg

I'm putting money aside for it every day :) It's only a matter of time before it rests in my hands - I'm glad I got such positive feedback because an investment in a lense like that, you just gotta be confident you're making the right choice.. I guess there's no question about the results is there?

Would anyone have any comments on the Canon Extender 1.4x or 2x, and it being used with the 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM, good, bad, indifferent?

I'm putting money aside for it every day :) It's only a matter of time before it rests in my hands - I'm glad I got such positive feedback because an investment in a lense like that, you just gotta be confident you're making the right choice.. I guess there's no question about the results is there?

Would anyone have any comments on the Canon Extender 1.4x or 2x, and it being used with the 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM, good, bad, indifferent?

I have the cheap tamron 1.4x teleconverter and used it on that football shot

no apparent reduction in quality or anything of that sort?

I should head off, it's bed time for me, Irish time 01:50! Talk to ye tomorrow. Thanks for the advice

no apparent reduction in quality or anything of that sort?

I should head off, it's bed time for me, Irish time 01:50! Talk to ye tomorrow. Thanks for the advice

Slightly, but nothing excessive.

I had a chance to play with it on a 5D body at work. It was my co-workers camera and thus i could leave the store with it. I took it outside around the plaza and played with it. It was a really fine lens, the autofocus is super super fast and its a sharp lens.

I'll be buying the Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr in the next couple of months and I'm sure I'll love it just as much as i did the canon one.

All Canon's 70-200Ls are stunning lenses and very capable at all kinds of different applications (including use as a blunt instrument). The 2.8L IS is the largest and heaviest of the bunch, but you're not going to find a light f/2.8 IS lens with this focal range. Buy one and you'll never look back :)

Pandya, you have some very nice shots.. what processing are you doing, I see some vignetting on some of the shots, that is deliberate I presume, or how is that achieved?

• 2 weeks later...