Canon 5D II

DPR: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkII/

Canon: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...p;modelid=17662

Design-Cut-(15).jpg

Mag-body-(9).jpg

2_1_a.jpg

Picture%202.png

Amstelveen, The Netherlands, 17 September 2008: Canon announces the full frame, 21.1 Megapixel EOS 5D Mark II: the first EOS with full High Definition video capability.

Compact, lightweight with environmental protection, EOS 5D successor boasts a newly designed Canon CMOS sensor, with ISO sensitivity up to 25,600 for shooting in near dark conditions. The new DIGIC 4 processor combines with the improved CMOS sensor to deliver medium format territory image quality at 3.9 frames per second, for up to 310 frames.

Triggered from Live View Mode, HD video capture allows users to shoot uninterrupted at full 1080 resolution at 30fps ? for amazing quality footage with outstanding levels of detail and realism.

The integration of HD movie capability into a high-end 21.1 Megapixel camera opens a multitude of new possibilities for photojournalists and news photographers. With its full frame CMOS sensor and outstanding ISO performance, the EOS 5D Mark II will appeal to any photographer in search of the finest camera equipment available ? from studio and wedding to nature and travel photographers.

Other improvements to the EOS 5D include

• Addition of Canon's EOS Integrated Cleaning System, with a new Fluorine coating on the low-pass filter
  • Larger 3.0" Clear View LCD with VGA resolution, a 170? angle of view and anti-reflective coatings
  • Improved menu system including Quick Control Screen for more direct access to common settings
  • Automatic peripheral illumination correction, utilising detailed EF lens information to optimise JPEG images straight out of the camera
  • Magnesium alloy construction with additional environmental protection
  • UDMA memory card compatibility.

"Professional photojournalists and wedding photographers already choose the EOS 5D for its discrete size and outstanding image quality," said Mogens Jensen, head of Canon Consumer Imaging. "The addition of HD movie recording opens a new chapter for EOS. It creates new possibilities for EOS photographers to capture and share their stories and to stay relevant in a rapidly changing digital landscape."

Safe to assume an update to the 1DS MK3 then?

1dsIII is only a year old, right? It might be at Photokina, but I doubt it since it would take away some of the PR for the 5D2. Probably next year.

I'm just finding it strange with all of these new releases. I don't see the point of 15MP on the 50D, 12.1 would have made more sense. The 21MP sensor here is the same as the 1dsIII. Don't understand if Canon realizes that MP is just a gimmick unless your shooting for billboards, 12 should be enough for almost every normal cause

9pt AF, i wonder if thats going to loose some customers for canon?

9pts, 6 assist, but supposedly better than the 40D at tracking.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_p...cid=7-9316-9603

Autofocus The 5D Mark II's AF system, including its CMOS AF sensor, carries over mostly unaltered from the 5D, and is comprised of nine AF points plus six Assist AF points. The centre AF point acts as a cross-type sensor with lenses whose maximum aperture are f/5.6 or faster. If an f/2.8 or faster lens is used, the centre AF point detects focus with triple the precision of slower lenses.

The Assist AF points are arranged in two lines of three just above and just below the centre AF point and are invisible to the photographer (in fact, they can't be manually chosen). With the centre AF point active and AI Servo dialed in, these six additional points clustered within the spot metering circle work in conjunction with the centre AF point to improve subject tracking performance, much like a similar option in earlier 1-series cameras does for certain sports with lots of erratic movement. Two of Assist AF points are cross-type with f/2.8 or faster lenses.

Somewhat surprisingly, Canon has not adopted the 40D/50D's AF system which, on paper, is superior, given that all nine of its AF points are cross-type. Canon USA's Westfall says the reason for that is the "6 Assist AF points plus center point were deemed to provide a higher level of performance for AI Servo AF than the center point-only arrangement of the [40D and] 50D." Given that we've previously found the overall autofocus performance of the 5D to be decent, while the 40D's tracking capability has been erratic, if Canon had to choose between the two for the 5D Mark II they likely have chosen well.

The 5D and 5D Mark II share one other notable AF hardware similarity: both utilize a dedicated microprocessor to perform AF calculations (in contrast, Canon's Mark III models, for example, utilize DIGIC III for this).

The 5D Mark II does include two changes in its AF system, relative to the 5D: it now has the ability to detect scene colour temperature and light flicker, then incorporate that as part of the camera's autotofocus calculation, plus AF Microadjustment, to compensate for focus calibration error in the camera body or combination of body and attached lens, has been added.

5dmark2_feature_04a.jpg

"The EOS 5D Mark II has a sophisticated AF system consisting of 9 user-selectable AF points, along with a total of 6 additional vertical and horizontal AF assist points. The central AF point is cross-type, and is sensitive to vertical lines at an aperture of f/2.8, horizontal lines at f/5.6. "

ooo soo only center is crossed -.- just like 5dmark1 but with 3 more assist points.. GG.

Canon techs say the 5D's vert/horizontal AF with assists is more reliable than the 40/50D's multiple cross points. But yeah it does seem cheaping out - they could have gone for nine cross sensors AND the assist points.

AF was obviously limited since they didn't want to encroach on the 1Ds line. All cross type would have been nice, but Canon and Rob Galbraith says it should have improved tracking compared to the 40/50D.

In reality, the people that the 5D II are aiming at won't give a damn. We're talking about landscape and portrait photographers, not sport shooters.

You're certainly getting quite a lot for $2700.

Picture%201.png

Here's a new hands on video preview:

AF was obviously limited since they didn't want to encroach on the 1Ds line. All cross type would have been nice, but Canon and Rob Galbraith says it should have improved tracking compared to the 40/50D.

In reality, the people that the 5D II are aiming at won't give a damn. We're talking about landscape and portrait photographers, not sport shooters.

WHAT IF I'M A WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER? :p

Once i offload my 350D, a 5D Mark II will go great with my 40D.

Edit: No way can it be around $2,699. For the body in the UK, it's ?2,299.

Edited by saxondale.

Once i offload my 350D, a 5D Mark II will go great with my 40D.

Edit: No way can it be around $2,699. For the body in the UK, it's ?2,299.

Just take a boat to NYC and pick one up.

ISO looks about equal to the D3/D700.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/limens/2865263549/ (ISO 6400)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/limens/2866088734/ (ISO 12800)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/limens/2866086958/ (ISO 25600)

D3 6400: http://a.img-dpreview.com/gallery/nikond3_...ls/dsc_0375.jpg

Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II_019.JPG

Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II_013.JPG

Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II_009.JPG

Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II_018.JPG