90 Minutes to Install Windows 98?

It was from a ISO image I built from my XP Disc. So it's more like RAID0 to RAID0 speed then CD to HDD Speed :D

You laptop WONT overheat dude, you could run every component in it at 100% for a year without it overheating. My MacBook runs at 90c when i'm using virtual machines or transcoding a movie, it's fine ;)

I don't have any problem with overheating, but for some reason, my laptop's fan is EXTREMELY loud.

I myself have some weird obsession with older Windows versions. I would use Virtual PC, but I have VirtualBox because I also like to play around with Linux.

Virtual PC should run most Linux distros fine, too. :)

my god no offense but why install 98 ?

I have a few games, namely Douglas Adams's Starship Titatnic, that will only work on 95/98. I keep a Virtual PC image around for when I'm bored and want to play one of them.

Why would I want to run Windows 98, well, the gaming aspect has already been mentioned.

But more because I want to learn about how Computers have evolved over the years, for something 10 years old it's interesting to try and predict how the IT industry will evolve by 2018.

But to be entirely honest, it reminds me of the funky chicken.

It comes up with an "unrecoverable error."

I hit F7 at the boot screen and added the "noreplace-paravirt vga=0x32D" at the end of the command line and it's booting so far for me.

EDIT: Working better: "noreplace-paravirt vga=791" with safe graphics option...

Edited by GreyWolfSC

I remember reading that there is a bug with VPC and X11. The VPC can't handle a 24-bit graphics mode, but it can handle 16 and 32 bit, but Linux defaults to its highest level, which is 24-bit.

I remember reading that there is a bug with VPC and X11. The VPC can't handle a 24-bit graphics mode, but it can handle 16 and 32 bit, but Linux defaults to its highest level, which is 24-bit.

I agree with this, I tried installing Ubuntu on Microsoft Virtual Machine and it wouldn't take me to the desktop at all. It would install but not do anything when it came to enter in the User name and password.

To Shave off time on a Windows 98 install in Virtual Box/MSVPC...

Use startup floppy image-- Fdisk- and use it to format-- Copy the Win98 Directory Over to the hard drive- So that It will use that folder to look for the Win98 Disk- Much Faster--- then boot the VM with the floppy and goto that directory --- Type Setup... Then it should install....

If still want to use Cd- to make it faster--- Use option of boot to prompt- Goto the Win98 directory type the following- smartdrv hit enter and it will copy files faster than the normal setup. (you would next type setup to start the install.

The other day I installed Win98 in Virtual Box took 32minutes 900mhz PIII 512mb memory. I made the Windows Virtual Drive 3gigs.

Hope this helps.

I always when installing-- Copy that directory to the hard drive---(also by doing the Smartdrv trick makes copying the files over to the VHD quicker)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SmartDrive

So did anyone manage to get networking working in 98?

i tried it last year in vmware and it works fine. you just need to configure it manually. i'm not even sure if the tcp/ip protocol is installed by default. also it won't pick up a dns server address via dhcp like newer OSes do. you have to configure it all by hand.

I have a Windows ME disc here. I will install it in a Virtual machine and see how fast it installs. ME have never failed me like many say it does for them perhaps they run ****ty hardware.

EDIT: damn can't yet. Need a 98 or 95 disc because my ME disc is a upgrade disc.

I remember my first computer having a Pentium II 266, 64 MB of RAM, 2 GB Hard Disk, and Windows 98. :ermm:

Not to get too off topic...but I can beat that. My first one was a 286 that ran at a blazing speed of 9.75 mhz. It had a huge 8 mb of ram and a whopping harddrive that had 100 mb of space. It came with msdos 4 and ran windows 3.11. God I loved dos shell and having to manually edit the autoexec.bat to allow windows to boot instead of dos.

Do you mean Vista Business SP1? You got me excited for a second; can't wait 'till SP2.

You also have to make sure your computer is completely compatible with Windows 98. Usually computers that were pre-installed with Windows Vista have Vista-based drivers (as in not for other OS). But that is only the case when you buy your computer from companies like HP, Gateway and Dell.

Have you tried installing XP? If it doesn't work on XP, I greatly doubt it will work on 98.

hmm, possibly the installation is not effective as more modern installers? tryed installing it before?