The Windows Millennium Edition Hate Thread

Gee, why all the ha;)? ;)

I never had a problem with ME. In fact, whatever ME had in it fixed a huge problem with Win98SE crashinh and blue-screening on my old PC. But, when Win2k came out, I never looked back

Win2k came out before WinME, so obviously you did look back.

Yeah but i think Windows 2000 is 5.0 but ME is only 4.0

2000 is NT5, NT4 is err NT4

ME has nothing to do with 2000 and NT.

but it means 2000 is better than ME!!!!!!); ;)

anywawe strongly suggest you to update to windows 2003

lol

No stick to XP or 2000 the CLIENT OS's

yeah anyways, i dont really like ME and so do my friends. I didn't use ME for long because it really ****ed me off. I think 2000 is very suitable. I have Server and Advanced Server copies. Windows xp is not bad but I still like 2000 better than xp. Now, I think Windows 2003 has both Windows 2000 and xp benefits and it's very suitable and runs well!

Gee, why all the hate? ;)

I never had a problem with ME. In fact, whatever ME had in it fixed a huge problem with Win98SE crashinh and blue-screening on my old PC. But, when Win2k came out, I never looked back

Win2k came out before WinME, so obviously you did look back.

No, Win2k is NT. WinME was 9x. Two separate entities all together

I considered it as moving on, rather than staying behind in the 9x family.

Looks like I struck a bit of debate with my simple logic.

It's simply this. You worded it, "When Win2k came out" thereby you were speaking chronologically. You spoke of using WinME before Win2k, however had you used Win2k before WinME, you wouldn't have gone to WinME in the first place by your own accord, however, obviously this isn't the case.

I think the best quote I've heard on Windows ME is (Windows- Migraine Edition).

Truth is I've found it just does not work properly with some motherboard, ram configurations.

Some of them just leak memory until they run out of system resources. I've seen this with

3 different configurations and after hours of monitoring, could never get to the bottom of

it. Explorer would just drain the pc after running for about 30 minutes. 98 would work fine

and win2k on the same machine. Mind you, this is only after completing all the updates, but

ME being a mute point in the business world, I didn't chase this ghost.

On the other hand, on systems it works on, it works just fine. As long as you have the overhead

to run such a pig operating system. I wouldn't install it as first choice on anything, period.

This thread caught my eye in hopes of seeing a little more ME hate, because I know the hours I spent trying to find that memory leak on one system to no avail. Sigh. Misery loves company. :-D

Macs can run linux, if thats any help ;)

thats cool and mac can run windows too! :D

.:CONCLUSION:.

Mac is the best OS out of Windows, Mac and Linux??? :p ... and the most expensive one!! :s

I've never really liked the 9x line of OS's from Microsoft.

I had Windows 3.1 on my aunts PC... It was okay... PC never crashed at least.

Had Windows 95 on my first PC.. It wasn't THAT bad... Never really had many issues with it... The PC it self was a Cryix so.. It did blow... but, I didn't have any problems with the OS itself... Windows 95 was kinda nice :-)

Windows 98.. YUCK!!! Had it on my 2nd PC... OMG.. Crashed ALL the freakin time... Totally HATED that OS. I then put Windows 2000 Pro on my PC at the time... and well, I couldn't use my DOS programs anymore... so I went back to 98. Man, I hated those days. I rember calling Dell up saying "Hey, something is wrong with my PC!" having to reset my CPU.. Ram :-P YUCK.

Windows ME was better than 98 I think personally... I never had THAT many issues with ME.. but I still hate it like I did 98. ME was a joke... Just a somewhat mini upgrade to 98 with some features of 2000 Kinda.

I recently had Windows 98SE on my laptop.... I couldn't leave my laptop on for more than 3 days without getting a blue screen.. and the laptop would just be sitting there unused for 3 days.. would just check it 3 days later and have a blue screen on the screen... I also got ALOT of hard drive swapping doing NOTHING on my laptop... and it has 160 MB Ram! UGH! I WOULD put Windows 2000 or XP on my laptop in a HEART BEAT.. but, All the hardware isn't fully supported.. so, I am stuck with 9x line or NT4... UGH. Can't even get 2000 to install on the laptop.. and XP installs fine and runs great... but I have hardware issues.... Had XP on there for a while, but the hardware issues just got too annoying.. like the FN sound controls not working... :-P

2000/XP all the way... Just wish it had better hardware/software support.

better hardware and software support? what peripherals are YOU using?? Old ISA or EISA modems and junk? Screw that! Upgrade!

Umm.... Nope, I don't use ISA/EISA Crap... One thing I can't get to work in XP or 2000 is my scanner... Bought it less than a year ago brand new... Didn't knew it wasn't going to work with XP... It DID work in XP until SP1 came out... or one of the windows updates around that time.

Company which makes the scanner doesn't support it anymore.... Bought the scanner at a computer show so...

I like to be able to play some... just some of my older computer games from time to time... lots are DOS based.. there is a good example.. not a huge deal though.. I never play games much anymore these days... I am just a heavy downloader.. reason I have a 3000/256 connection.

As for my Laptop... It WILL run Windows XP... but, hardware isn't fully supported. When I install XP... the colors are all screwed up and have a million IRQ conflicts... In device mananger I change it from ACPI PC to a Standard PC.. reboot.. everything works great.. but, when I shutdown my laptop... I have to hold the power instead of it shutting down auto.. and the FN controls don't work for the sound card on the keyboard... so.. that really sucks having to change volume.

During the install of Windows 2000 on my laptop.. the install will freeze... Nothing I can do... Can't get past that.. Laptop has newest BIOS flashed on it.. and the laptop came with NT4.. so I really don't understand why it will not run 2000/XP... O-well. Not like I can get a new laptop... takes money.

Had ME on one of my laptops. Needed to restart that beast a few times a day. Played games like crap.

On the other hand, when I run into problems in XP, restarting never fixes it, it usually needs a full scale reformat. Luckily that's only happened twice.

I think it really depended on how you used your PC as I had 98SE and had 1 blue screen in about 3 months. Though since I got XP all I have had is application errors no blue screens. :)

The "stock" configuration of Windows Millennium sucked. But after modding the setup files to exclude what I call junk components, M.E. ran pretty smoothly...

With ME, Microsoft took 98SE then added a load of technologies that were only coded properly for Windows 2k and that resulted in the worst OS that I have EVER had the misfortune to be SUBJECT to.

i really must ask you guys, why do you always drudge this subject up? Its been DONE TO DEATH, its just more of the same thing. We all know ME sucks, but that doesnt meen that we need 999billion threads on it.

i really must ask you guys, why do you always drudge this subject up? Its been DONE TO DEATH, its just more of the same thing. We all know ME sucks, but that doesnt meen that we need 999billion threads on it.

I don't know who you're directing your comments to, but I didn't start this thread... I was just posting a "reply". Is that a crime?! if so, I'd like to hear it.

Be COOL guys...I also use ME and honestly it crashes for me a LOT! but even though... i still use it as a backup of my XP, and take note it "SAVES" my XP more than the time it crashes...BTW i all respect your each and own opinions but thats the way life goes with me...anyway no big deal just want to sahre it...;)

With ME, Microsoft took 98SE then added a load of technologies that were only coded properly for Windows 2k and that resulted in the worst OS that I have EVER had the misfortune to be SUBJECT to.

y is your avatar the Win ME logo?

WinME was not that bad, Compared to Win98... Never saught how Win2000 works but, I used it for 2 years and I didn't had that much problems with my WinMe...