• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

C

Kami-    178

This is breaking news? :/

biatche    0

im still on xp, someone mind telling me.. what reasons are there to migrate from xp to vista? give me a few good reasons.

i play old games usually, and surf mostly. ordinary stuff

what is there in vista that i cant do in xp, which can help me do things more efficiently

what is there in vista thats a lot better than xp?

Edited by biatche

+warwagon    13,845
im still on xp, someone mind telling me.. what reasons are there to migrate from xp to vista? give me a few good reasons.

i play old games usually, and surf mostly. ordinary stuff

what is there in vista that i cant do in xp, which can help me do things more efficiently

what is there in vista thats a lot better than xp?

If you have a lot of ram vista does seem faster. Vista doesn't waste empty ram. If its empty vista caches to it. In my case I have Vista 64bit with 5 gigs of ram, and after the initial startup everything is blink speed.

Removable drives - I do find that vista does install and mount removable devices a lot faster than XP

Video Drivers- The fact the video drivers in vista work outside of the kernel you'll have alot less bluescreens due to graphic drivers. Instead of a bluescreen of death your screen will go black for just a second then re appear

Breadcrum view - This really isn't a have to have feature. But it is pretty handy to navigate around folders.

UAC - While most finds this feature annoying I like it. I'm not annoyed by it at all. A regular user shouldn't have administrator privileges.

Just a small list.

=

anonymous_user    0
I see XP -> Vista being like Win95 -> Win98. The latter is clearly a better and more mature product, though it is not a huge revolution

That doesnt seem like a good analogy. There are considerable differences between XP to Vista. And the difference in system requirements is very significant too.

DigitalE    10

I love Vista. It's just as fast, if not faster than, XP on my laptop.

PaulCabby    2

i havent had any major problems with vista (bar the folder view bug amongst other things) but overall its been treating me good

lalalawawawa    59

Forget about Vista the crap OS, go for Windows Mojave. :rofl:

Quillz    1,011
That doesnt seem like a good analogy. There are considerable differences between XP to Vista. And the difference in system requirements is very significant too.

True, but both XP and Vista are based on NT, whereas ME was DOS and XP was NT. So, I think the transition from ME -> XP was huge, as consumers were using a major technically superior OS. Yes, Vista does have some major changes and innovations, but I do agree that those who are happy with XP may not be missing out on a whole lot, like they would had they continued to stick with ME instead of XP. Do I think Vista is a great OS? Yes. Do I think most people should be using it? Absolutely. But, I see the whole XP -> Vista -> 7 transition as being very similar to 95 -> 98 -> ME.

bobbytomorow    0

I am unfotunately posting from Vista now and yeah it really is that bad. My job requires me to use Vista, and several other os's, and tbh I am a unix/linux man, and its not vista's disgusting UI or atrocious UAC or heck even its busted out of the box audio stack that really bugs me, its the HORRIBLE performance with the applicatios I use ( I wont even touch on gamig because Vista and gaming is downriright stupid unless you enjoy horrible performance and "work arounds") that gets to me.

<snipped>

I call it like I see it, Vista sucks. Period.

Eric    1,605

Funny, I don't have any of those problems. It works perfectly well and looks great. I see a UAC prompt maybe once a week, and my games run just as well as they always have. I might suggest it's a user issue. (you)

<snipped>

You find the information to back up that "millions of users" and 90% of enterprise claims and we'll talk.

NEVER85    248
I am unfotunately posting from Vista now and yeah it really is that bad. My job requires me to use Vista, and several other os's, and tbh I am a unix/linux man, and its not vista's disgusting UI or atrocious UAC or heck even its busted out of the box audio stack that really bugs me, its the HORRIBLE performance with the applicatios I use ( I wont even touch on gamig because Vista and gaming is downriright stupid unless you enjoy horrible performance and "work arounds") that gets to me.

<snipped>

I figured you'd show up. No Vista thread can exist on Neowin without some anti-Vista troll rearing their ugly head. Performance on Vista is roughly equal to, if not slightly better than the other OS options out there. You're likely the one doing something wrong, not Vista.

Raa    1,593

And it wasn't long before the pro-Vista people showed up with personal attacks. C'mon guys, lets just let it drop already.

theyarecomingforyou    10,428
I wont even touch on gamig because Vista and gaming is downriright stupid unless you enjoy horrible performance and "work arounds"

I guess I didn't get the memo where my computer performs terribly in games. In fact benchmarks show virtually no difference, while some perform slightly worse and some - shock, horror - perform better. The huge drop in performance early on has been corrected through driver updates and Windows updates.

Navigating hard-drives is unfortunately slightly slower, though the improvements with search and the bread-crumb more than make up for it. Features like CompletePC Backup also make life considerably easier, along with drivers for new devices downloading automatically (incredibly useful). The experience - minus UAC and the redesigned All Programs menu - is very good. The trouble is any issue Vista is because its crap, while any issue with XP is just accepted... people are just so stubborn. If I mention to certain people I've had an issue with my computer they say it's because of Vista before even listening to the details - it's really sad.

sweetsam    31

I have vista64 installed on my desktop. I really like except for a few minor annoyances. The biggest annoyance being overwriting. Has anyone tried over writing an entire folder. It takes for ever. A little difference is no big deal but the difference between XP and vista on that aspect is enormous.

Well some of you might say why not just delete the folder and its contents and copy the new folder. The problem is not all files in the folder have been updated and some files in the old folder aren't int he new folder. Otherwise I like vista.

WigglesTheFish    6

I had Vista Ultimate x64 on my last Windows based pc, which I sold a month ago. I had some problems with Vista, but overwhelmingly they were hardware related. And I am thankful that I no longer deal with Vista, my switch to Apple was partially Vista, but mostly it was hardware issues... not Vista. I got Vista for free, legally from a friend, I can say I don't really see any advantage over XP other than Directx 10.

Hum    6,934

Vista may not be 'bad', but I'm still not going to waste money on it. ;)

biatche    0

So, from what I've been reading, the verdict is, Vista > XP with sufficient resources, but if there isn't enough or rather more, then its better to remain on xp. Right? And yah, linux in terms of performance is just greater any day.

White Cuban    0

No Shizzle?

Thank You Captain Obvious *Looking through stocks for fail pics*

Premgenius    28

I thought it was crap, but once I got the hardware specs up no one has complained about Vista issues. There are applications which I used which have problems but that's because they are old and were never meant to run of Vista.

flocker    0

I'm on win2k8 runs better then vista and xp. And no this is not just a 'I think it's faster just because it feels like it' I've run benchmarks on both my x86 and x64 versions of OS's that I try. win2k8 x64 won the fight. Though not by much but it still utilizes ram/cpu and the hdd's better. Recommended to try for those hating Vista but getting bored of XP :)

fix-this!    76

<snipped>

and linux is so known for great gaming support. :blink:

vista works fine now that sp1 came out.

abcdefg    0
You're likely the one doing something wrong, not Vista.

:laugh: :D :rofl:

http://www.cantrip.org/nobugs.html

"Maybe you're not using it properly. Have you ever considered that?" - Bill Gates

Same <snipped> - new package.

Edited by Triliaeris

Ci7    209

"Maybe you're not using it properly. Have you ever considered that?" - Bill Gates

funny :D

NEVER85    248

Aaaaand this is supposed to prove what exactly? It's highly unlikely Gates had that type of attitude during an interview.