Quarantine (2008)

Went into this movie not knowing what to expect, as I heard mixed reviews and it wasn't screened early for reviewers... but it ended up being pretty damn good! The acting was superb, I thought, as people acted how you'd expect -- even if sometimes annoyingly so. Story was interesting, but kind of left you in the dark a bit. Overall, though, excellent movie. (Y)

4/5

Went into this movie not knowing what to expect, as I heard mixed reviews and it wasn't screened early for reviewers... but it ended up being pretty damn good! The acting was superb, I thought, as people acted how you'd expect -- even if sometimes annoyingly so. Story was interesting, but kind of left you in the dark a bit. Overall, though, excellent movie. (Y)

4/5

Have you seen .rec? you might enjoy seeing what this film was based on (Y)

Yeap, saw it last night and it's good. Shaky cam aside (felt sick for a while!! :) ), Jennifer Carpenter is quite good. Crazy bunch of people running around scared in a building, finding a way out before being.... "killed".

I can't believe the 5.7/10 on IMDB.... I'd give it a 8/10.

MEGA HUGE SPOILER (Don't READ IT) : Yes, it's a Zombie movie and everybody DIES at the end. No happy ending here.

Uber fail (N)

This film lost it. So many things wrong with it I wouldn't know where to start. The most important is that it is to long, the first part of the film could have been cut into this: "We're riding with the firefighters tonight..." None of that other garbage was needed for the story. We got she was a reporter and that she was doing a story on the firefighters, nothing more needed.

1.5 out of 5 stars

BTW, [●REC] is so much better. Why a remake for a film that just came out last year was needed is beyond me :unsure: But we have it and I didn't enjoy it (neither did the friends that went with me).

BTW, [●REC] is so much better. Why a remake for a film that just came out last year was needed is beyond me :unsure: But we have it and I didn't enjoy it (neither did the friends that went with me).

Because it's in our nature to be lazy. People don't want to read subtitles in foreign movies.

Uber fail (N)

This film lost it. So many things wrong with it I wouldn't know where to start. The most important is that it is to long, the first part of the film could have been cut into this: "We're riding with the firefighters tonight..." None of that other garbage was needed for the story. We got she was a reporter and that she was doing a story on the firefighters, nothing more needed.

1.5 out of 5 stars

It's called character development. Cloverfield did the exact same thing. We didn't technically need any of that, either. It was done to create emotional attachment to the characters. If that didn't happen, no one would have gave a crap when anyone died. As for it being too long: it was 89 minutes (an hour and a half)... too long? Really? You wanted a movie under an hour and 15 minutes?

It's called character development. Cloverfield did the exact same thing. We didn't technically need any of that, either. It was done to create emotional attachment to the characters. If that didn't happen, no one would have gave a crap when anyone died. As for it being too long: it was 89 minutes (an hour and a half)... too long? Really? You wanted a movie under an hour and 15 minutes?

It was boring character development that didn't make me feel anything about any of the characters. And 89 minutes of this film was to long. Sorry, I just plain hated it.

"Underdeveloped and predictable, there is little compelling about the film other than the premise and a few of the kills." --MovieCrypt.com

It wasn't boring character development in any way, shape or manner. The entire theater I was at was cracking up and loved it. It was better than Cloverfield's excuse for character development, IMO.

The majority of reviewers from sites that Rotten Tomatoes refers to disagree with Movie Crypt: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10009238-quarantine/

Wait, what?

Hurmoth, please read my argument. I said that the character development in the opening scenes of this movie is better. I did not say Cloverfield was worse overall. I love Cloverfield, it's one of my favorite movies. But those scenes were weak, in my opinion, and this movie had better character development.

I don't see how a movie's aggregate reviews in any way hints to a set of scenes in the movie being better or worse than another movie. So, on that point, most do not "disagree with [me] entirely" as it's impossible to tell. But, hey, I'm sure you knew that. The majority of reviews, however, do say the exact opposite of the review you linked to.

I never said this movie was better than Cloverfield. Don't put words in my mouth. I was comparing the structure of the movie and pointing out something that I think this movie did much, much better.

I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing now ;)

I just read Wikipedia's article on the film. I don't like it - the film, not the article.

With me, the less hope a film has for the good guys, the more I never want to see it again. Resident Evil is a good example - it has hope and will continue to have it into the 4th movie.

Wait, what?

Hurmoth, please read my argument. I said that the character development in the opening scenes of this movie is better. I did not say Cloverfield was worse overall. I love Cloverfield, it's one of my favorite movies. But those scenes were weak, in my opinion, and this movie had better character development.

I don't see how a movie's aggregate reviews in any way hints to a set of scenes in the movie being better or worse than another movie. So, on that point, most do not "disagree with [me] entirely" as it's impossible to tell. But, hey, I'm sure you knew that. The majority of reviews, however, do say the exact opposite of the review you linked to.

I never said this movie was better than Cloverfield. Don't put words in my mouth. I was comparing the structure of the movie and pointing out something that I think this movie did much, much better.

I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing now ;)

I think you missed my point though of the original review quote I posted. I leave this at, to each their own. I didn't like this film, at all. [?REC] is a lot better IMO.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bump this topic, but I finally got around to watching this movie the other night. First off I know about Rec. and how this was just an english copy of that film.

I liked the idea of them being stuck inside of an apartment building with something strange going on. The concept of why they were locked inside the building was a little dumb, but I understand it is hard to develop a plot with this scenario.

As for the acting, I thought it was a little over the top, some people were very annoying. There wasn't very much character building, nor were names clearly mentioned enough to remember who was who.

The movie wasn't as great as it should be, the camera work was annoying, reminded me of District 9 and Cloverfield, two movies I will never want to watch again because of the shaky camera work, something I am not a fan of.

Overall, if you have interest in watching it, go and rent it

6/10 (Y)

Reminds me I still need to see [Rec]. I saw Quarantine and I loved it, but everyone says [Rec] was extremely better. I couldn't be assed to watch [Rec], maybe I'll get around to it soon before [Rec] 2 releases.

Reminds me I still need to see [Rec]. I saw Quarantine and I loved it, but everyone says [Rec] was extremely better. I couldn't be assed to watch [Rec], maybe I'll get around to it soon before [Rec] 2 releases.

[Rec] is NOT extremely better, it's good and it's the original movie. But Quarantine did a good job too.

The only problem I had with this movie is that when you're just about to find out some answers to what was going on, the movie ends. It dangles the answers right in front of your face and then promptly smashes them into tiny pieces with a baseball bat and throws them out the window. Other than that I liked it, I wouldn't put it on par with the 28 movies though, for movies that have zombies that aren't quite zombies.

Edited by trag3dy

How can one receive so much good news in a day, one ponders. :p

I absolutely loved [REC] and now there's going to be a [REC]2? And I didn't even knew this movie (Quarantine) was out, so I ordered a copy instantly. Should arrive tomorrow!

Edited by Starbuck84

• 1 month later...

i just watched it and thought it was great, was a little put off at the beginning because of the leading lady being more synonymous with Dexter and it was a little predictable but once I got passed that I really enjoyed it.

For added effect watch late at night with the lights off :)

• 2 months later...