NeowinCAST News Edition for October 16th, 2008

Neowin.net presents the NeowinCAST News Edition for October 16th, 2008. This week, Christopher Vendemio (bangbang023) and Rob Wright (Rob) discuss the following topics:

• Google includes a kill switch in Android (read)
  • MSI says consumers don't like Linux (read)
  • Sony possibly getting it's foot into the digital distribution game? (read)
  • Neowin Finity discussion (read)

Follow the appropriate links to download the current episode. Enjoy, and remember to leave your comments about the show either here on in the news post.

softicon.gif Download: NeowinCAST News Edition Episode #40 (Right click, Save As)

linkicon.gif Subscribe: Via iTunes | Via Zune | Via RSS

Woopie!

Ive been so busy with Uni and the gf that I havent listened to the last one yet, unlike my other podcasts (all gaming related) I like to find a time when I can concentrate better rather than say just having it on in the background while doing multiple things and gaming etc.

My mic should sound better in this one. We went back to the old recording setup until we can find where the problem was with the new one. We were both, also, much less rusty this time around.

Rob's British accent sure adds an interesting twist :)

Ha it's only interesting because you're used to North American voices. Over here it's just commonplace.

Ha it's only interesting because you're used to North American voices. Over here it's just commonplace.

I know what you mean. I am Scottish, and over their I sound like a yankee (as you brits call it, which I am not btw) but I am use to the accent, since my parents have a very strong accent, which I don't hear :/ Everyone else does. During the podcast I don't really pick up on it a lot, it just sounds so natural to me...

Another good episode.

I have only listened to two episodes now, and I got to say that I really enjoy the behind the scenes discussion of Neowin, and hope to hear it every episode. That is my suggestion for the show, so we can hear a little more of what is going on behind closed doors and get some updates of things to come in the future, and development progress.

Another thing I wanted to add, was bangbang, your mic was weird again. Not so much as last time, but I hear some distortion coming from it. The first Time I listened (last episode 39) I didn't even think rob was a developer. I never really noticed until you said it on the podcast.

I'm not sure why the huge uproar of the advertisement..

Anyways, great episode, and I hope to hear more to come (Y)(Y) Please keep making episodes!

Thanks! Yeah we're slowly sorting the recording technique back up to scratch, it's not quite as good as when we did it before but we're getting there, a few tweaks each episode!

Change scares people, At work we have some eee pc's for sale, ?200 with linux, 5 people have bought it and well... without failure 5 people have returned.

Good show guys:))

Good podcast. I like it. As far as the Neowin front page - it's really really great (Y)

Would be good to hear some more about what's changed or new in Tech since the last podcast.

Perhaps a bit more focus on Microsoft / Windows 7 / Windows Strata / IE8 would be great too, from a Neowin perspective.

Rob's British accent sure adds an interesting twist :)

+1 FTW

It's a bit like having Jeremy Clarkson on Neowin. ;)

Another thing I wanted to add, was bangbang, your mic was weird again.

One thing you have to consider is that this is a transatlantic recording, so ping and audio quality come into play. We're trying to sort it out since this mic was fine the last shows we did before the most recent break.

so rob is doing the recording on his end, which makes sense why his quality was better. You still do good work, and you mic is still clear enough. I should try to listen to earlier episodes to compare the quality

so rob is doing the recording on his end, which makes sense why his quality was better. You still do good work, and you mic is still clear enough. I should try to listen to earlier episodes to compare the quality

Yeah, Rob records on his end. When I did the editing, I did it on my end, though I had a crapper mic back then. We have Ventrilo set up at maximum quality, but there's still compression and such to consider. We're working on it. Neither of us is satisfied with the audio quality.

That would be very hard to do the "conversation style" they have

It could be done and would make editing easier since the tracks would be separate, the only thing would be syncing them up before editing.

What about recording at both ends and then splicing it together?

I would think it would just sound weird during the podcast, where bangbang would say something too close to what rob said, or a long pause in between them talking :/

I mean the audio quality isn't that bad.

You tend to get quite bad synchronisation issues when you record separately and then combine - it's all very possible but I prefer the current method of recording it on one PC so that it's all there.