Ubuntu 8.10 - Intrepid Ibex out

1. Not that I'm aware of. You can download the 1MB installer here. It'll download everything else for you.

(2) Edubuntu serves the needs of school classrooms. You need not consider it. Ubuntu and Kubuntu have the same operating system at their core but they use different desktop environments and accompanying software packages; Ubuntu uses Gnome and Kubuntu uses KDE. Figure out whether you like Gnome or KDE more and you'll know whether to get Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

Why did they include OpenOffice 2.4 ?? 3.0 is out now and I don't even see it in the Add/Remove software...

OOo 3 was launched a just after the 8.10 Feature Freeze, so it couldn't be included as it hadn't been fully tested by the Ubuntu team.

Wow, I uninstalled Evolution yesterday night, and it won't boot any more. Any OS that depends so heavily on an email client = fail. Recovery mode was absolutely useless. I decided to install Linux Mint, and it's looking nice.

This "new theme" they promised consists of a hideous unusable dark brown theme and a slightly modified human wtf...I can't believe mark shuttleworth said it would " look better than osx"

This "new theme" they promised consists of a hideous unusable dark brown theme and a slightly modified human wtf...I can't believe mark shuttleworth said it would " look better than osx"

Be glad you didn't pay for it :p

Jokes aside I'm waiting for Ubuntu and Kubuntu discs to arrive to do some testing.

Ibex almost seems to me to be more of a "service pack" than a new release, which in a way I suppose it is. There have been a few changes, but as usual with Ubuntu, that's more to do with the new Gnome desktop and an update of it's common components, rather than anything ground-breaking. I appreciate the new Network Manager (about time this was sorted), and tabs in Nautilus, but so far that's about it for me. Could it be that Ubuntu has reached a plateau?

Linux look good? good luck with that...What ever you do with it, it always seems to look crap. :(

Linux look good? good luck with that...What ever you do with it, it always seems to look crap. :(

As compared to Windows or OSX? You obviously didn't try too hard.... :rolleyes:

there's some decent icon sets for linux but most of the themes look like absolute **** compared to osx or vista. and I have probably tried about every theme on gnome-look lol.

It's okay if you don't want to use linux.... if icon sets and themes are your reason for not using it, then that's fine. Why are you in a linux thread anyway? Check the desktop thread - there are some nice desktops in there.

It's okay if you don't want to use linux.... if icon sets and themes are your reason for not using it, then that's fine. Why are you in a linux thread anyway? Check the desktop thread - there are some nice desktops in there.

It's called light trolling.

He doesn't like Linux because the themes he saw look like crap to him, so he takes the opportunity to state so in Linux threads.

There are Linux people (and/or Apple people, and/or Vista people) who say that XP looks like crap, or "Fischer Price". And there are Linux/Apple/XP people who slag on Vista Aero. They are all gently trolling when they post for no other reason than to say that. Just ignore them. :)

Im writing this from linux on my laptop lol...

I'm not saying I don't like linux, but gnome and kde need a lot of work in the looks department. even with a lot of customization I can't get linux looking as polishes and professional as vista, although some distros like opensuse come close with their themes. the main problem is not even really just in the themes. The padding in gnome and kde is just all over the place, everything is to big looking and this goes for the fonts too.

It's called light trolling.

He doesn't like Linux because the themes he saw look like crap to him, so he takes the opportunity to state so in Linux threads.

There are Linux people (and/or Apple people, and/or Vista people) who say that XP looks like crap, or "Fischer Price". And there are Linux/Apple/XP people who slag on Vista Aero. They are all gently trolling when they post for no other reason than to say that. Just ignore them. :)

You're right, Mark. I should have never fed the trolls....

Im writing this from linux on my laptop lol...

I'm not saying I don't like linux, but gnome and kde need a lot of work in the looks department. even with a lot of customization I can't get linux looking as polishes and professional as vista, although some distros like opensuse come close with their themes. the main problem is not even really just in the themes. The padding in gnome and kde is just all over the place, everything is to big looking and this goes for the fonts too.

Hmmm... Someone needs to dig up that image of those 6 or 7 Microsoft apps running in Vista that have very different UI looks and layouts. I think that the most consistent UI is what Apple does, from what I have seen. And I think that they have (and follow) pretty strict guidelines for their UI. But it seems not even Microsoft follows their own.

Linux can get really messy if you decide to mix apps using different libraries: gtk, qt, lestif for example. I think that Ubuntu, Fedora SUSE and such do a good job of providing a consistent UI out of the box, but when users decide to mix in other apps with different foundations, I admit the UI between apps can be significantly different.

So... Now that the trolling moment is (let's hope) over, anyone noticing a performance decrease with this version? Compared to 8.04 this new version uses on my system a bit more of memory (150MB more). Anyone else noticing that?

<snipped>

I have noticed a bit more 'lag' but I did start using Compiz with this latest version, so that may be it for me. I have heard this one was more 'bloated' but with today's hardware most machines should be able to run it quickly.

Edited by Barney

Adding to the discussion, according to my own tests, the time taken for a full bootup has increased slightly. However, there may be other factors (For example, I had used a custom readahead list prior to the upgrade, which may have a +/- 5 second difference). And I had enabled shell concurrency in Hardy, and that was disabled after the upgrade (starts two tasks at simultaneously during bootup), which may also have caused the difference.

However, memory usage on a fresh desktop didn't change for me. 3D performance has decreased probably due to the use of the "radeon" driver instead of "fglrx". 2D performance using "radeon" is better though, the scrolling lags in Firefox has been largely eliminated, but I still wouldn't say it's as smooth as on Windows.

General responsiveness hasn't changed much.

Anyway, I think we would expect several performance gains in Ubuntu 9.04 as Canonical has been wanting to gain traction on the mobile platforms (UME), etc. Hopefully then they would make a complete switch to the Upstart daemon (which is like Apple's launchd, and for Mac OS X, launchd has provided extremely significant difference in bootup times). Similar to Mr Fish's opinion, I think this release is more of a "Service Pack". Hopefully the "big features" will come in time for Ubuntu 9.04.

I would expect more from the next version of Ubuntu though, for example, kernel mode setting, which didn't make it for Intrepid because it came in via the Linux 2.6.28 merge window. Kernel mode setting, for those who don't know, will provide a flickerless bootup and clean VT switching. Or DRI2, as the GEM patches has been pushed backward to 2.6.29, and this will finally eliminate the problems with Compiz + 3D/video flickering problems.

I had a tough time upgrading

I follow insturctions to upgrade 8.04 to 8.10, which is basically set the software sources to upgrade normal releases.

Well doing the upgrade, my system was left hanging on bootup, so I had to goto recovery, and start fixing it my self, using apt-get dist-update

I had to reset my gnome settings afterwards to boot into gnome. many parts was missing, like network manager, samba etc, all which I had before, I believe it removed a ton of software, I am not sure what went wrong, but I am back up and running.

Dist-upgrades can be hit or miss; they always have been problematic for Ubuntu, and general advice is it's usually better to do a new install instead. I, however, did dist-up and didn't have any problems, which quite surprised me. The update did seem to take about twice as long as a conventional install though.

Boot times were faster for me when I had it installed, UI was just as responsive as Hardy Heron. I had the Normal effects enabled by default, but I don't like the effects, so I set it to none. Other than that it was ok...

Powertop shows that my laptop drops to the lowest C-State (C3) now when it's idle. It used be drop to C2 all the time. I wonder how much power that will actually save.