GTA IV for PC (official)

The updates have really helped the game though... says something abou the developers I think... when the game was first released I was averaging 17 - 24 fps... now I'm averaging around 50fps, on the same exact system.

i play it on my laptop, 2gb ddr2, centrino duo t7250 @2GHz, m8600gs, Windows 7 +gta4 v1.4 patch @800x600 resolution :D

i get 20 fps in times square like areas & 23-25 in other places.

gta4 mp - cheaters still roaming around in it :D

when no cheaters are there, its really fun, one drives & the other(s) shoot. :D

that seems a tad low for your specs...

• 1 month later...

found the fps sweet spot, added the following to a commandline file, thought I'd give the game another go, patched to v1.4. It runs really smooth now and still looks great.

-texturequality 1

-shadowdensity 1

-renderquality 1

-viewdistance 24

-detailquality 29

-norestrictions

-novblank

-availablevidmem 1.5

-percentvidmem 1.0

-frameLimit 60

-refreshrate 60

-minspecaudio

-nomemrestrict

-forcehighqualitymirrors

-forcer2vb

-disableimposters

@ above poster, I had no problems installing on windows 7.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Lost and Damned for GTA IV PC

6633-gta-iv-pc-tlad.jpg

A new update released for GTA IV PC adds achievements for The Lost and Damned! At present, The Lost and Damned is only available on Xbox 360, after Microsoft reportedly paid R* $50m for two exclusive episodes. However, the terms of the deal were unclear, and nobody knew if it was a timed exclusive or a permanent exclusive.

So does this mean The Lost and Damned is making its way to PC? Probably.

GTA DLC for the PC. Whodathunkit!

UPDATE:

The patch can now be downloaded manually from Rockstar's website. It features a number of updates and fixes including the conversion of all region SKU’s into the same SKU, more freedom for users to customize controls, and several multiplayer fixes.

http://www.gta4.net/news/4371/the-lost-and...-for-gta-iv-pc/

Version 1.0.0.4 – November 10, 2009

GENERAL:

-Convert all region SKU's into the same SKU.

-Include support for all languages within single exe.

CONTROLS:

-Allow controls to be double mapped on keyboard.

-Added option in controls menu to disable mouse controls in helicopters.

-Adjust keyboard control sensitivity in hood cam view in vehicles.

MULTIPLAYER:

-Security Updates to deter cheating in multiplayer.

-Hosts can now immediately Kick users from their games in Lobby and in game via Cell phone without having to rely on peer voting.

-Fixed a bug in Cops 'n Crooks mode where Host would drop out and prevent remaining players from leaving game.

http://www.rockstargames.com/support/IV/PC/patch/index.html

gamers are saying, on avg. they are getting 6fps boost :D

discussion- http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=432180&st=0

i'm playing this game on my m8600gs, core2duo- T7250, 2gb ddr2 ram laptop :D , with last patch, i used to get 20-25fps.

update:

just d/led the update patch (98MB), now installing.

will update again after playing :D

This runs like absolute crap on my PC, and my PC isn't that underpowered. Crysis looked way better and even ran better than this hunk of junk at the same settings. Couldn't Rockstar at least bothered to optimize the game or release a patch to fix the insanely/unreal high Vram requirements and performance issues? You would think developers would of learned to optimize their games by now due to the outcry of PC gamers and release a half decent product.

I am unable to get above 25 - 30 FPS, lowering settings seems to have no effect for this game in terms of performance. I have even read this games even brings beastly machines to their knees at max settings, so you almost always need to lower the settings. Turning up the settings to the max requires an unreal amount of Vram (1.2 GB+).

It's not a bad game, but it would of been a lot better if they bothered to optimize it and ensure it runs well on modern hardware or anything made within the last two years.

People thought games like Crysis and ports to the PC such as Lost Planet were bad? I'm afraid no game even Crysis tops GTAIV in terms of shoddy performance and unrealistic or insane requirements.

I'm playing with the following specifications: Core2Duo E8500, Geforce 9800 GT using 195.39 Forceware, 4GB DDR2 Dual Channel Ram. I struggle to get anything above 25 - 30 FPS with it dipping in the teens or single digits most of the time.

I've already patched it to the latest and tweaked the game using some mods and it still runs like crap for me. In the apartment I'll get almost 60FPS, then as soon as I head outdoors it drops to 20 - 25 or 30 FPS and tends to dip frequently into the teens. It also seems that lowering settings doesn't improve performance for me either.

Does anyone know what the GTAIV_MAINTENANCE_UPDATE_1040_EFIGS patch was? Apparently it wasn't the official 1.0.0.4 patch because I had it before the 1.0.0.4 patch was released.

Does anyone know what the GTAIV_MAINTENANCE_UPDATE_1040_EFIGS patch was? Apparently it wasn't the official 1.0.0.4 patch because I had it before the 1.0.0.4 patch was released.

It supposedly does add some performance improvements. Merges SKU's. Add the achievements for The Lost and Damned which is supposedly coming out for the PC, but hasn't been officially announced. Add some more anti-cheat measure for multiplayer.

The official patch notes don't mention the achievements, but they are there.

Patch notes are here http://www.rockstargames.com/support/IV/PC/patch/index.html

Screenshot of GFWL achievements: http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae234/J...04-18-47-26.png

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought GTA IV during the Steam holiday sale and I regret it. Even though it was $7.49, it wasn't my cup of tea. After passing the death of Roman, I realized how much of a grindfest this game is. I spent more than 25 hours and the gameplay is the same mission. Shoot, kill, steal car and make social connections. I am quite disappointed.

However, GTA IV should be a considered a benchmark of how much video gaming has progressed. To explore NYC *cough* Liberty City in a video game simulation and explore it using helicopters, cars, boats and even on foot is simply amazing. It's a precedent to how immersive a video game environment can be. I have to hand it to the developers that they made a benchmark that no other video game has yet to touch. It looks fantastic in 1080p.

aS09Z.jpg

If you call this game a grindfest, then every game is a grindfest by your standards.

And please, please don't use those TV terms, "1080p" and whatnot, 1920x1200 isn't even the 1080p standard since it's ... x 1200.

If you call this game a grindfest, then every game is a grindfest by your standards.

I got tired of driving from point to point just to kill someone.

And please, please don't use those TV terms, "1080p" and whatnot, 1920x1200 isn't even the 1080p standard since it's ... x 1200.

I do what I want. :p

Masked Forever: I also bought this in the Steam sale for ?4.99.

I'm more concerned that it's wasting 15GB of my disk than anything else :|

The first time I got it running I cranked everything up highest, got literally 1FPS, maybe even less. After going into Task Manager and back into the game it started running at around 20-30FPS, that's in absolute highest... I dipped the settings down low and the game was still jerking loads when I swung the camera around, really badly optimised!! (i5, 4GB, GTX260 for the record).

...Updating it as I type, hopefully won't run so bad afterwards.

Masked Forever: I also bought this in the Steam sale for ?4.99.

I'm more concerned that it's wasting 15GB of my disk than anything else :|

The first time I got it running I cranked everything up highest, got literally 1FPS, maybe even less. After going into Task Manager and back into the game it started running at around 20-30FPS, that's in absolute highest... I dipped the settings down low and the game was still jerking loads when I swung the camera around, really badly optimised!! (i5, 4GB, GTX260 for the record).

...Updating it as I type, hopefully won't run so bad afterwards.

15GB isn't that much these days. Dragon Age is comparatively larger when it comes to installation space and I'm assuming that Mass Effect 2 should consume even more considering the developers' hype that it will be much, much better and more immersive than its prequel.

My system (sig) is less powerful than yours but I got 19-30 fps with 1920x1200 and all the settings maxed out (except I did not touch anything that involved view distance, traffic density and the rest that are in that sub group). If you bought it through Steam, you should already have the latest patches installed. Steam automatically updates all your game files.

@Masked Forever, turn off shadows, it assss even in highest settings :p

crank up the detail, view distance, traffic density , these are CPU dependent.

Edited by san.W10