For or against School Sports

Should youth sports be sponsored by schools?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should youth sports be sponsored by schools?

• Yes! Definitely!
    • No! The community should take care of that!

Against, the school is for learning academics, not play. For that reason, the school sports are leeching funds better used on education, like better technology/class sizes, which would benefit with knowledge rather than physical achievement. It would also not serve for motativation for the people that are not good with academics as they can no longer rely on them to get by.

Schools should not be forced to use part of their already limited budgets on things like a basketball team or a football team, if people want to participate in such activities they should form them outside of the academic environment.

What Cara said.

It seems like there is always enough money for new uniforms and stadiums but not enough for current books and teaching materials.

I REALLY hate that.

well said cara and HyperCube!!! couldn't have said it better! our tech budget is now down to 20,000 per year... :( sports is more than 2 mil.

This is something from a preview of made or some other crapass mtv show: (this is real btw)

Coach (addressing his team): You know what Johnson (one of the players) told me the other day? He goes, "Coach, we're not having any fun playing." Well you know what guys? We (apparently him and any other coaches there may be) aren't having any fun coaching you guys!

I think that's utter bullsh*t! He's not having fun coaching him? Sports aren't about money, or winning or losing, it's about having a f*cking good time. It's about fun!

I find it ridiculous that that coach would even say that. :(

I don't hate school sports (I played baseball throughout the 80's), but I think it's a bit overrated though - especially nowadays. More emphasis should be placed on academics... Just my 2 cents.

I've participated in school sports. Especially in grade school I was in everything. In high school, I've only joined soccer.

I don't really think schools should have sports, but in a way I do. I hate how most teachers treat the players differently. Especially football players and even at our school. I don't like it at all. I can live with it, I just hate seeing it done.

Off topic, but, I think schools should have teachers stop giving students homework, or at least if you are a junior or senior, have no homework. Because people work, especially me and hell, I never have time for it. I don't get a lot of it, because I've got an easy schedule, and computer classes. But it just isn't necessary and this is just my own opinion.

I can't stand how the school (american) football teams always get budgeted so much money when the technology departments suffer.

Our school just won state for the 8A division. And I can understand what you are saying. We have quite better computers then most schools do. They still are terrible but they do the job. I never experience many problems in my CAD class (2 period), the computers are like 500Mhz Intels, forgot the video card but nothing great and like 128 or 256 mb of sdram (I'd have to check).

Our Cisco 1 and 2 classes computers are however different. We have such ******ty computers in there to work with and network. Our routers, omg, how terrible and old. The computers have about 32MB of ram and like, 233Mhz.

Now, who really cares about that when you have teachers that are not that qualified. My CAD teacher is excellent, I can't say anything bad about him. However, not to be racist, we have a 80+ year old german teacher and she is just terrible and very slow. She found out last year what a cdrom is. She never heard of C/C++ till alst year and I had to teach her a lot of Visual Basic. She only knew Basic (barely). I didn't really do much of teaching her, nor wanted too. More like "get over here or suffer" sort of thing. I wasn't no teachers pet, tons of times I was yelled at, I remember one time refusing to do work and she said you can't do that, I'm like bull****** I can't, so they took me down to the office and I got yelled at and got like a saturday and such. My mom called later that day and fought with the school, did I ever have to serve it? Nope :-d

And last but not least, our cisco teacher, he recently just got his CCNA over a month ago. And still is clueless about things. He is also a phyics (I want to say) teacher, which is he most experienced in that. We always have these dumb labs to do, and they are always the same. I don't care what he says, they are. It takes him awhile to find out a answer, or he just doesn't know. I hate being not taught and having to suffer like this for the future. I don't have time to teach myself out of school other because of work. Yes, I do teach myself when I network my computers and such. But that isn't what you just learn in CISCO 1 and 2. So I miss a lot. He makes the class so terrible.

End of my rant and blabbling :p

Because sport is not compulsary in Australian schools, 1 in 3 kids under 18 are overweight ever since this happened. (I voted yes)

In America, they usually make us take a Physical Education class of sorts. These are ok since you learn some anatomy and other stuff about health, but just plain team sports that you see everyday shouldn't be required much less be on school funds. They should perhaps have city leagues or something instead of school leagues.

I went to a private high school in Australia, sports is compulsory. Two after school training on the weekdays and one weekend games against another school. Apart from the injuries i got, I enjoyed it a fair bit ;)

i understand what you people are saying about overweight people... but see the thing is, weight loss programs should NOT be sponsored by the government!!! I think there's something freaking wrong with you if you are too lazy to get off of your ass and go excersise on your own. The only reason people do sports in school is for the attention, the weight loss is just a benefit. So i don't want to hear any more of that weight loss bullshi t

but you see, some ppl on this thread are saying that the government spends money on sports and they should spend it on education but if there weren't sports at school a lot of ppl would become obese and the government would spend even more money in weight loss programs and on diseases caused by obesity. am i not right ?

no, you are not right... private organizations should cover the obesity factor, the government should only worry about one thing. governing the people.

no, you are not right... private organizations should cover the obesity factor, the government should only worry about one thing. governing the people.

Should but they don't and we have to deal with the reality we have.