KDE = boy & Gnome = girl?

I never thought about it but I met a girl who uses KDE and it seemed a strange choice... for a girl. I don't want to sound sexist but I guess I thought KDE was more 'masculine' than Gnome. If she'd have been using Gnome, I wouldn't have thought about it at all. What do you think? Am I mad?

I would think the opposite, girls liking kde and boys gnome. Since kde is more friendly and 'static' than gnome. They both suck in my opinion.

The day linuxers start working together we will have a good os and a real threat for windows.

I would think the opposite, girls liking kde and boys gnome. Since kde is more friendly and 'static' than gnome. They both suck in my opinion.

Yeah, because KDE is "prettier" when it all comes down to it, whereas GNOME is more serious.

OK What?

Are we talking about KDE4 here? The one that has a fluffy pink bunny plasmoid theme? The one with more eye candy than Vista or Mac? The one that actually has female developers?

fluffy%20bunny1.png

KDE4 (for men?)

And the Gnome here? The one with probably one or no female developers, no obvious girly themes, no eye candy, boring desktop?

I think you got it the wrong way around mate.

OK What?

Are we talking about KDE4 here? The one that has a fluffy pink bunny plasmoid theme? The one with more eye candy than Vista or Mac? The one that actually has female developers?

And the Gnome here? The one with probably one or no female developers, no obvious girly themes, no eye candy, boring desktop?

I think you got it the wrong way around mate.

Maybe I am mad, given all that others have said! :p

She was not actually using KDE4 either (3.5 I think). Maybe I just was thinking the letter K looks more masculine and G looks more feminine. Probably it's been too long a week! :laugh:

Hmm. I'm a guy (gay though, might matter) and I prefer Gnome, just because the way you navigate Gnome makes more sense.

Neowin is strange on weekends.

No work means minds wonder :p

Generally i see what you mean but no... lol generally i use gnome, easier.

She was not actually using KDE4 either (3.5 I think). Maybe I just was thinking the letter K looks more masculine and G looks more feminine. Probably it's been too long a week! :laugh:

It seems to me that there are more female names that start with "K" than male names (all "common" names).

Female Names Starting with "K" that I can think of: Katherine (the best name (and spelling of it), in my opinion)/Katharine/Kathryn, Kasey, Kristen/Kristin, Kirsten, Keirstan/Keirsten, Kimberly, Karen, Kara, Kayla, Kristina

Male Names Starting with "K" that I can think of: Kevin, Kenny

It also seems to me that there are more male names that start with "G" than female names (all "common" names).

Male Names Starting with "G" that I can think of: Gary, Gavin, Glenn, Gabriel

Female Names Starting with "G" that I can think of: Gabrielle, Gabriella

Anyway, as a guy, I personally prefer GNOME as my desktop environment. It just is more simplistic than KDE is.

It seems to me that there are more female names that start with "K" than male names (all "common" names).

Female Names Starting with "K" that I can think of: Katherine (the best name (and spelling of it), in my opinion)/Katharine/Kathryn, Kasey, Kristen/Kristin, Kirsten, Keirstan/Keirsten, Kimberly, Karen, Kara, Kayla, Kristina

Male Names Starting with "K" that I can think of: Kevin, Kenny

It also seems to me that there are more male names that start with "G" than female names (all "common" names).

Male Names Starting with "G" that I can think of: Gary, Gavin, Glenn, Gabriel

Female Names Starting with "G" that I can think of: Gabrielle, Gabriella

Anyway, as a guy, I personally prefer GNOME as my desktop environment. It just is more simplistic than KDE is.

LOL no I meant K looks like it's got a penis and G looks like...

Oh it has been a long week!!!!

:blink: That is the oddest thing I've heard! I actually prefer Gnome to KDE (I find it too "bulky") anyway and I'm a guy :p

Actually she was the Prom Queen -- and has 2 kids and has been married for about 10 years now-- and if you are wondering -- she looks a lot like Sarah Michell Geller...

Oh - she is okay, but not that great, I've seen better.

:blink: That is the oddest thing I've heard! I actually prefer Gnome to KDE (I find it too "bulky") anyway and I'm a guy :p

I like the ladies too! ;)