[Official] Anime/Manga Thread

^^ Out of curiosity, did you try watching Naruto Shippuuden?

didnt get that far.

my biggest let down was when sasuke turned into some angry emo kid and left, then I continued watching and got bored when the shows turned into fluff instead of following the story line.

didnt get that far.

my biggest let down was when sasuke turned into some angry emo kid and left, then I continued watching and got bored when the shows turned into fluff instead of following the story line.

Good, because the manga continues to be like that for two, three arcs. Naruto had so much potential and it was heading to a really good, fantastic ending (or possible moving on to a new adventure altogether) but the mangaka decided to draw a lazy plot surrounding one of the dullest characters (Sasuke) ever to become a protagonist in a mainstream anime.

Let's not forget how the mangaka also tried to put Sakura and Naruto into some love triangle based on her believing she has a childhood crush on Sasuke

Good, because the manga continues to be like that for two, three arcs. Naruto had so much potential and it was heading to a really good, fantastic ending (or possible moving on to a new adventure altogether) but the mangaka decided to draw a lazy plot surrounding one of the dullest characters (Sasuke) ever to become a protagonist in a mainstream anime.

Let's not forget how the mangaka also tried to put Sakura and Naruto into some love triangle based on her believing she has a childhood crush on Sasuke

couldn't help but lol....

Well this morning finally got done with the last of the three Kiddy Grade movies which were a nice re-telling of the TV series which is one of my all time favourite cyber-art-deco animé and afaik is coming to blu-ray soon so i will be saving for that also.

and now im re-watching Needless.

I'm nearly done watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and I've heard so many good things about the series, I haven't really felt that way about it, I wonder if I'm missing something?

Whoever has watched it here did you see it subbed or dubbed? (Might be only dubbed for all I know.)

I haven't seen any other Ghost in the Shell series, that may have taken away from it?

Let me know if what I'm saying is legitimate or insane! :p

I'm nearly done watching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and I've heard so many good things about the series, I haven't really felt that way about it, I wonder if I'm missing something?

Whoever has watched it here did you see it subbed or dubbed? (Might be only dubbed for all I know.)

I haven't seen any other Ghost in the Shell series, that may have taken away from it?

at at least think i get what you're trying to say and it's the same story with me the few episodes iv seen IE 1 and some others i just felt it was just a run of the mill cyberpunk cop drama with a side serving of Psychological BS.

Don't get me wrong the movie was good spot on and the second well i haven't seen that one yet so can't really comment.

Your opinion is completely legitimate. I had the exact same opinion of the anime series... until I found the movies and watched them in chronological order. The Ghost in the Shell movies are few of the most influential pieces of art I have ever come across. The soundtrack, the atmosphere, the animation and the detailed backgrounds immersed me into a world I always imagined but could not never fully visualize. It was so influential that it catalyzed my passion for technology and biology that I had since I was a child. I am now pursuing two engineering degrees (yes, one of them is biomedical a la medigel (Mass Effect) and cybernetic prosthetics (electrical engineering and biomedical combined). The anime series is well executed but it does have its flaws (such as inconsistent animation quality and plot holes) but it manages to serve the cyberpunk fans out there. I would give it an 8/10 but I gave it a 9 since there are only a handful of anime series that masterfully executed a story that requires attention to detail and consistent characters.

Edit: Just realized what a geek I am to say how a video game and anime series was a combination of theoretical application for the degrees I was deciding on.

at at least think i get what you're trying to say and it's the same story with me the few episodes iv seen IE 1 and some others i just felt it was just a run of the mill cyberpunk cop drama with a side serving of Psychological BS.

Don't get me wrong the movie was good spot on and the second well i haven't seen that one yet so can't really comment.

The first few episodes were quite average when I first watched the series. If people like grand conspiracies similar to Death Note and Code Geass and love cat and mouse stories, then GiTS: SAC is worth the watch. However, the movies are a must watch for everyone. The exploration of cybernetic technology and human evolution through modifying the human body with synthetic parts controlled by a digital brain that can sync up with a network while being protected by its own firewall is simply revolutionary in the anime world.

Like Masked Forever said, it's best to watch the films/series in chronological order to get the best out of the story behind Section 9, particularly the Major/Mokoto and why she is the way she is (Y)

I originally watched it subbed then bought the 1st/2nd GIG DVD collections. 1st GIG is one of my true favourites because of the plot.

@Masked Forever: You do know that there ###### several teams working on GiTS, right? That's why the quality/animation was inconsistant :)

didnt get that far.

If you manage to find some free time I suggest you give Shippuuden a shot. After sasuke leaves there isn't much that happens in direct relation to main storyline beside maybe the last episode of Naruto (episode 220). The current manga arc its in is absolutely awesome (imo atleast :shiftyninja:)

Your opinion is completely legitimate. I had the exact same opinion of the anime series... until I found the movies and watched them in chronological order. The Ghost in the Shell movies are few of the most influential pieces of art I have ever come across. The soundtrack, the atmosphere, the animation and the detailed backgrounds immersed me into a world I always imagined but could not never fully visualize. It was so influential that it catalyzed my passion for technology and biology that I had since I was a child. I am now pursuing two engineering degrees (yes, one of them is biomedical a la medigel (Mass Effect) and cybernetic prosthetics (electrical engineering and biomedical combined). The anime series is well executed but it does have its flaws (such as inconsistent animation quality and plot holes) but it manages to serve the cyberpunk fans out there. I would give it an 8/10 but I gave it a 9 since there are only a handful of anime series that masterfully executed a story that requires attention to detail and consistent characters.

Edit: Just realized what a geek I am to say how a video game and anime series was a combination of theoretical application for the degrees I was deciding on.

Ah that explains a lot about your preference in anime :laugh: You've mentioned it before but could you give the chronological order for GiTS again? Or did you mean chronological order of the movies alone? I've got the movies but don't want to watch it incase theres a specific order you guys would recommend. Like Matrix XII I too didn't see what the hype was about GiTS. However I did enjoy the first season more than the second.

^ I think he means to watch it in this order: Movies, 1st gig, 2nd gig, Solid State Society.

Has anyone here ever even read the original manga issues?

Edited by Capric0rn

@Masked Forever: You do know that there ###### several teams working on GiTS, right? That's why the quality/animation was inconsistent. :)

I did not know that. Do you have a source so I can find more about that? Was there a specific reason that there were several teams working on it? I noticed the inconsistency in quality when I realized that Motoko's face would change ever so slightly. Motoko's eyes would not be drawn properly or her mouth or nose would be incorrectly placed. 8.5/10 for quality and animation (rounded up to a 9).

Ah that explains a lot about your preference in anime :laugh: You've mentioned it before but could you give the chronological order for GiTS again? Or did you mean chronological order of the movies alone? I've got the movies but don't want to watch it incase theres a specific order you guys would recommend. Like Matrix XII I too didn't see what the hype was about GiTS. However I did enjoy the first season more than the second.

It explains why I become a Zero Punctuation-like troll when it comes to drama or harem anime. As Capirc0rn previously stated, it would be recommended to watch it in chronological order.

Ghost in the Shell (film)

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (film)

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (series)

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GiG (series)

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society (movie)

There are summary movies of the TV series which correspond to each season (The Laughing Man - 1st GiG, Individual Eleven - 2nd GiG).

^ I think he means to watch it in this order: Movies, 1st gig, 2nd gig, Solid State Society.

Has anyone here ever even read the original manga issues?

Are you talking Ghost in the Shell ?

If then, I greatly enjoyed it but not as much as its animated counterparts. Even though it is the source material, its depiction of Motoko is underdeveloped. However, one must take into account that I came, I saw, I read. Ghost in the Shell's cast is one of the many reasons I enjoyed the franchise since it featured strong, independent characters. Instead of holding the gender breaking role as the leader of the main Section 9 assault force, Motoko is depicted as having a more traditional, stable life with a boyfriend/fiance and identifies herself as a woman rather than a free, independent spirit trying to discover the boundaries of her physical and digital self. However, I greatly appreciated the genius behind the manga since I read Masamune's other work, Appleseed, which is the precursor to Ghost in the Shell written in 1985-1989 and spun off two animated films that showed off one of the best CGI movies I've ever seen.

However, I cannot acknowledge the horrible follow up to the manga. Ghost in the Shell 2: Man/Machine Interface, which was written in 1997. It has nothing to do with the franchise and is merely borderline hentai depictions of Motoko. Masamune even apologizes to all the fans in the first few pages while stating it was a piece of work that he always wanted to draw.

Macross Plus

I was going to watch this but in the end it was Lupin III: The Last Job, thoroughly enjoyed it :)

The first few episodes were quite average when I first watched the series. If people like grand conspiracies similar to Death Note and Code Geass and love cat and mouse stories, then GiTS: SAC is worth the watch. However, the movies are a must watch for everyone. The exploration of cybernetic technology and human evolution through modifying the human body with synthetic parts controlled by a digital brain that can sync up with a network while being protected by its own firewall is simply revolutionary in the anime world.

Like Masked Forever said, it's best to watch the films/series in chronological order to get the best out of the story behind Section 9, particularly the Major/Mokoto and why she is the way she is (Y)

I originally watched it subbed then bought the 1st/2nd GIG DVD collections. 1st GIG is one of my true favourites because of the plot.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

By the sounds of it I should have started from the beginning in the series. I just found the plot didn't make too much sense to me because I had a hard time figuring out who the characters were and what they were really doing. I really liked the animation and the detailing, as well as the soundtrack. I loved the opening song which sometimes I would play two times over lol

I never really knew what order anything was, so that was my first mistake. I'll have to look into watching the series in order, then I'll like it better perhaps! I'm willing to rewatch 'Stand Alone Complex' again. When that time comes (I'm going to watch Eureka Seven first) then I'll let everyone know what I think the 2nd go-round :D

@Matrix

Eureka Seven is a great watch. If you pick up the Blu Ray version of Ghost in the Shell or Ghost in the Shell 2.0, be prepared to for a showcase of how far anime can go. By the way, I suggest joining MyAnimeList and add fellow members here, like Radish and Capric0rn. MAL also has a neat feature of displaying the sequels, spin offs and prequels of each anime or manga series you check out.

@Matrix

I suggest joining MyAnimeList and add fellow members here, like Radish and Capric0rn. MAL also has a neat feature of displaying the sequels, spin offs and prequels of each anime or manga series you check out.

and me!

Ive also noticed a couple MAL members from here havnt rated any of the shows they've watched, which makes the list pretty useless.

and me!

Ive also noticed a couple MAL members from here havnt rated any of the shows they've watched, which makes the list pretty useless.

Except moi. :shifty:

Disclaimer: Rating error on my list is +/-1 with the exception of my favorites and anything 9+.

Except moi. :shifty:

Not just you :p

@Berserk87 - Some of the guys might just use MAL as a cataloguing site.

@Berserk87 - Some of the guys might just use MAL as a cataloguing site.

I realize that.

But every time someones looking for a new anime, instead of everyone posting the same suggestions over and over, you rate your MAL list, then the person can check out everyones likes/hates and make up there own mind.

I realize that.

But every time someones looking for a new anime, instead of everyone posting the same suggestions over and over, you rate your MAL list, then the person can check out everyones likes/hates and make up there own mind.

if you're looking for something new just pick at random.