$100-$200 Surround sound systems?

Sorry to double post but I've come with more questions. I don't need a dvd player with a 5.1 system because I would watch dvds on my Xbox 360. That comes to my next question, how (or can) you hook up a surround sound system to your TV/360?

My setup has HDMI built into the amp and it grabs the audio from the HDMI. Some lower end systems with HDMI just do HDMI switching and won't grab the audio from the HDMI cable.

What you would need to do it connect the HDMI to the TV and an optical cable to the stereo. You will need the attached image to use HDMI and an optical cable or you could do this: http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

post-143134-1227837703.jpg

Dude, best place to check is like Craigslist or ebay, I got a nice Kenwood vr-405 thats 400w and it is AMAZING, got like 5 speakers to go with it for 5 dollars.

The subwoofer is passive but buying a powered one does the trick just fine ;)

Here was a couple I was looking at:

Logitech

Yamaha

Pioneer

Sony

Any ones that would be simple and easy to put into my system?

You need an AV Receiver for both the Sony and the Yamaha. They can't work alone. The cheapest that you can find is around $200. Something like this: Yamaha RX-V 363. The logitech is good but very limited if you want to add more stuff to it.

It will cost you more to buy a kit like the Yamaha but it's much more flexible and will probably sounds better that a cheap home theater in a box.

Definitely think I am going to go with the Samsung one found here. Sadly any place that has it for under $199 is out of stock. Does anybody think by waiting two or three weeks that I will be able to find it for that price again?

Edit: Bah I just found two more $199 sets

Phillips

Sony

Edited by Mystic

Just trying to gauge if it is worth suggesting to my parents.

IMHO anything around the 200 price range will sound about the same; boomy bass, overtly warm midrange and crackling highs. Granted it is a simple investment at 200, but I personally woudldn't get bent out of shape of which one I'd be purchasing.

Random thought: I never undestood why people who are willing to afford 500+ for a TV wish to spend roughly half that or less on audio.

Random thought: I never undestood why people who are willing to afford 500+ for a TV wish to spend roughly half that or less on audio.

I'm not an extreme audiophile and I'm also in college. :p

I'd counter that by advising you to invest in a bigger audio purchase. You don't need 5.1 now, do you?

Purchase a used 90's era receiver and two stereo speakers, and then build from there.

And there is nothing which states that you have to be an extreme audiophile to spend the same amount of money on audio as you would on a TV.

I'd counter that by advising you to invest in a bigger audio purchase. You don't need 5.1 now, do you?

Purchase a used 90's era receiver and two stereo speakers, and then build from there.

And there is nothing which states that you have to be an extreme audiophile to spend the same amount of money on audio as you would on a TV.

At the moment though I'm in a dorm, so space is a premium.

You need an AV Receiver for both the Sony and the Yamaha. They can't work alone. The cheapest that you can find is around $200. Something like this: Yamaha RX-V 363. The logitech is good but very limited if you want to add more stuff to it.

It will cost you more to buy a kit like the Yamaha but it's much more flexible and will probably sounds better that a cheap home theater in a box.

How would that hook up to an Xbox 360 / TV? It seems to be specific to Computers, no?

Not to hijack your thread but, I'm interested in getting my cousin a decent 5.1 (or even 2.1) sound system that would hook up to his 360 and if possible, the TV as well. <$150 price range.

How would that hook up to an Xbox 360 / TV? It seems to be specific to Computers, no?

Well when I was still considering it I saw that it had an adapter which took the green outlet and split it into the red/white for video game systems. Not too worry though, I now have it down to either the Sony system or the Samsung.

Not to hijack your thread but, I'm interested in getting my cousin a decent 5.1 (or even 2.1) sound system that would hook up to his 360 and if possible, the TV as well. <$150 price range.

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 will do the trick.

So what is the difference between digital coaxial and digital audio (TOSLINK)? The Sony has both while the Samsung only has digital audio.

Its the exact same thing, just two competing technologies. Both transmit a 5.1 signal but work differently.

Coaxial is if you will similar to analog cables in appearance and construction, and much more durable whereas Toslink is fiber optic based and easier to damage. For long runs over 7-10 feet it is suggested you use Coaxial vs Toslink as Toslink relies on light pulse signals to transmit data which can become weak if extended to far.

Hmm, so most likely I would hook the Xbox 360 up optically then.

Back of my Samsung

There is the picture of the back of my TV. Right to the left of the VGA spot is a connector that just says Audio. Is that where I would put the digital coaxial cable? I am just thinking if I do the Sony one, I would do digital coaxial for the TV to surround sound and optical for the 360.

Sorry to ask a million questions, just want to make sure I have this nailed down. Thanks again.

1) The 360 will only transmit surround sound via Optical or HDMI - those are you options.

2) If you are receiving surround sound from an OTA signal direct through your tv then you use optical out.

3) However, if you use cable, which allows for HD with surround sound channels, then you have the option of going optical or coaxial depending on your cable box's options.

4) If you will not and do not anticipate surround sound audio signals from either your TV or from your cable box, stick with tried and true analog connectors; they will do what you need.

No need to apologize. The best part about building a system no matter how small is truly understanding how it all works for bigger purchases down the road. Trust me, I've spent way to much on A/V.