First DSLR: Canon XS or Nikon D60 ?

Found both the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XS 10.1MP DSLR Camera With 18-55mm IS Lens Kit and the Nikon D60 10.2MP DSLR Camera With 18-55mm Lens Kit for $549 Canadian... which would you guys recommend for a new user of DSLRs?

Thanks

I also have a D60 here.

Works as a great camera but if you want room to learn fast, then go with a D80 as it'll help you use custom settings.

The D60 is great though. Good on auto mode, but it helps you learn basic settings fairly easily.

I agree with giga; get a d40.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...=&langid=EN

Arguably, 6.1MP is more than for beginners. Unless you are printing larger images like 16X24 than I don't think its necessary to have a 10MP camera. Besides, the image quality in this D40 at 6.1 MP is better than (99%) the majority of compact cameras (at 10-12MP or even higher MP).

I would suggest a D40 & Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 lens to start. The only advantage that I can see with Canon is that you have a wider variety of autofocus lenses, yet many AI(-s) lenses for Nikon are true gems.

D60, or save your money and get a D40.

I agree. My advise would be to get the D40 (I have one) or save your pennies and see if you can get a D80.

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-10-2MP-Digital...7039&sr=8-4

$699

The problem with the D60, is that beyond more megapixels it's not that much better in terms of features then a D40. Both the D40/D40x and the D60 lack internal focus motors which makes getting good lenses a bit more difficult. If I could go back and do it again, I would have gone with the D80, which is actually much cheaper now that the D90 is out.

just an FYI to the buyer, the nikon 50 f1.8 won't AF on the D60 or D40.

That is correct. If you buy a D40/D60 you need lenses marked AF-S -- unless you enjoy manually focusing everything :D I'm excited to see the 50mm AF-S that they're coming out with. Although I'm not sure if the price will be worth trading up and buying the current one or keeping my D40 and getting the new one :s

That is correct. If you buy a D40/D60 you need lenses marked AF-S -- unless you enjoy manually focusing everything :D I'm excited to see the 50mm AF-S that they're coming out with. Although I'm not sure if the price will be worth trading up and buying the current one or keeping my D40 and getting the new one :s

AF-S or AF-I lenses. :)