PS3 red lighted!

To be honest, what is going on with these consoles? im glad im sticking to PC Gaming, my pc i built myself, yeah okay it costs alot (?1000) but at least it doesn't get any death's like that. oh and don't mention about BSOD's! because i have not seen one of them in over a year now on vista.

Hope you get it sorted out anyway Coldgunner.

Just make sure about the DLC you have. Like I said, SingStar songs are tied to the actual PS3 system not the account (as you can use them with multiple accounts - on the same PS3).

Shouldn't be a problem, I don't have singstar (thankfully :p), but I'll check stuff like my GH3 dlc. I still got the email receipt for everything should I need it to be recredited to me.

eject thing didn't work. All DLC is tied to the account rather than the machine, so I just need to download the stuff again.

One request, a memorial service in Home for my PS3 :cry:

Sorry to hear of the death, but nice they are getting it sorted, but again shame for the turn around time.

Least you are getting the 60GB again though. :D

To be honest, what is going on with these consoles? im glad im sticking to PC Gaming, my pc i built myself, yeah okay it costs alot (?1000) but at least it doesn't get any death's like that. oh and don't mention about BSOD's! because i have not seen one of them in over a year now on vista.

Hope you get it sorted out anyway Coldgunner.

if you notice, this is rare event with PS3 , that too with almost 2 yr old machine + sony is helping here too. Soo.... hope you enjoy your pc experience. PS3 users will keep enjoying awesome games without worrying to upgrade every 6 months.

Theres always a silver lining I guess, no doubt I'd get a quieter machine, as mine was one of the few loud ones.

Also, I actually got to talk to an English guy, I've got to say, Sonys customer service was fantastic and able to answer all my questions without consulting a book.

might even break out the N64!

Theres always a silver lining I guess, no doubt I'd get a quieter machine, as mine was one of the few loud ones.

Was it an original 60GB model? Mine is and is loud - at times. My brother just got the 160GB model and it's so quiet.

This was my constant worry before buying a PS3, the good old disc drive failures that plagued the first 2 consoles. If mine fails and I don't get a free replacement I'll be annoyed but I won't be too fussed as I've not really got any games for it, and it see's more use as a media centre, but it would be very very annoying

It's a shame that the console went faulty, but from reading your posts Sony really seem to be on the ball with getting it sorted for you. :)

We'll have a welcome back party for you on Home when you get your replacement console. :)

ive never even heard of this problem until today... i guess it doesnt happen too often.

since i bought mine on ebay less than a year ago... does Sony offer fixes or replacements?

This is the same light/beep pattern it makes when it overheats and shuts down. I wonder if there is something wrong with the thermal detection on the older 60gb consoles, my old 60gb one will do this if I shut it down and try to immediately turn it back on. I don't think its actually an overheating issue as I can have fans blowing on it full blast in my just-warm-enough-to-stop-pipes-from-freezing apartment and it will still refuse to boot up. I have to let it sit for about 4-6 hours before it will properly reboot (and you thought having to wait 5 minutes for a firmware update was bad). Luckily I won a new 40gb one so I use it for the majority of my gaming and just power up the 60gb for PS2 games.

• 2 weeks later...
Sony have offered me a swap, when they deliver the new one they take the broken one away.

What do they need for the swap, console only or all the cables and box as well?

My Blu Ray drive has been really noisy the last few nights for no reason, almost like it's thrashing when reading the discs. Only does it with some games but the loading times are normal.

However warranty is up in January, might want to tell them it's faulty to get a new PS3 before then :p

What do they need for the swap, console only or all the cables and box as well?

Just the PS3 (with HDD) itself, I keep the cables and controllers. I'm told you quite literally hand the courier yours, he/she takes the replacement out the box, puts yours in the box and hands you the replacement. I called again yesterday to confirm delivery for tomorrow :)

They must flag or note that there is a game stuck inside as they told my Resistance 2 was stuck in the drive before I mentioned it.

+1 to the failing BR drives at NW ;)

What say you now Corris!? :p

OMG 360 HARWARE AM SUPERIR?

:p

It's not showing any signs of failing, it's just rather noisy and I hate noise.

Just the PS3 (with HDD) itself, I keep the cables and controllers. I'm told you quite literally hand the courier yours, he/she takes the replacement out the box, puts yours in the box and hands you the replacement. I called again yesterday to confirm delivery for tomorrow :)

They must flag or note that there is a game stuck inside as they told my Resistance 2 was stuck in the drive before I mentioned it.

Awesome, I may exchange it then.

Dunno if I can be bothered with all the hassle of backing everything up though, so I'll see if it's still noisy in a few days.

Also I'll need to find where the hell I put my 40GB drive, seeing as I upgraded to a 320 :laugh: