Canon Rebel XSi vs Sony Alpha 350 DSLR

I am torn between those two models. I know I have my differences with you guys and I tend to fight with you a lot but I trust you guys more than anything so your advice will be greatly appreciated on this.

Thanks

I am torn between those two models. I know I have my differences with you guys and I tend to fight with you a lot but I trust you guys more than anything so your advice will be greatly appreciated on this.

Thanks

I don't know much about the Sony cameras.

But as a Canon girl, I can tell you that the XSi is a great DSLR for any amateur photographer. With all of the lenses Canon offers (a much larger array than Olympus, Sony and Nikon, I believe), you'll have plenty of room to grow in your photography before--depending on how serious you are about photography--you'd feel any need to consider a camera upgrade. Canon has some of the best lenses (I'm currently saving up for one of their L-series); once you get more into photography you'll find that the glass you use is far more important than the camera body you use.

Again, I'm not very familiar with the Sony, but I can confidently tell you that you will not go wrong with the Canon, and that is certainly the one I recommend.

Good luck.

-Emily

I don't know much about the Sony cameras.

But as a Canon girl, I can tell you that the XSi is a great DSLR for any amateur photographer. With all of the lenses Canon offers (a much larger array than Olympus, Sony and Nikon, I believe), you'll have plenty of room to grow in your photography before--depending on how serious you are about photography--you'd feel any need to consider a camera upgrade. Canon has some of the best lenses (I'm currently saving up for one of their L-series); once you get more into photography you'll find that the glass you use is far more important than the camera body you use.

Again, I'm not very familiar with the Sony, but I can confidently tell you that you will not go wrong with the Canon, and that is certainly the one I recommend.

Good luck.

-Emily

Thanks for the advice. I got the Canon XSi. The reviews on it are awesome and the deal I got was good I think. Check it out. I got lucky since there is a Ritz Camera locally here ;)

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/SLR1199.htm?bct=t1134

Thanks for the advice. I got the Canon XSi. The reviews on it are awesome and the deal I got was good I think. Check it out. I got lucky since there is a Ritz Camera locally here ;)

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/SLR1199.htm?bct=t1134

Very nice. And congratulations. I'm sure you're excited!

Ritz is a great store. I have one very close, as well; they also make great prints, which you can order online.

Have fun with your new baby! ;)

-Emily

Very nice. And congratulations. I'm sure you're excited!

Ritz is a great store. I have one very close, as well; they also make great prints, which you can order online.

Have fun with your new baby! ;)

-Emily

Excited? Oh yeah!. I am dying to test this baby out!!!!

As another canon owner, welcome to the group. Have a ton of fun with the camera

Thanks. Test-drove it today. Awesome!.

Hey how often do these DSLRs need to be cleaned (maintained)?

Canon has the best lens technology out there.

It's funny how times change. Back in the negative film days, Nikon was #1. In the digital film age, Canon seems to have the lead.

Thanks. Test-drove it today. Awesome!.

Hey how often do these DSLRs need to be cleaned (maintained)?

Lens front elements need to be cleaned fairly regularly due to accumulation of dust - this won't actually show up on an image because it's too close to the focal plane, but dust on the lens will reduce overall contrast and make the lens more prone to flare. As for the actual camera, the XSi features a self-cleaning sensor; the low-pass filter in front of the sensor vibrates rapidly when the camera is turned on and off, causing nearly all dust in front of the sensor to fall off. And this works, it's not a marketing gimmick - my 400D which has dust on the inside of the viewfinder and I've had for well over a year and had hundreds of lens changes...has a very clean sensor. Be sensible with lens changing, as this is when dust enters the body - minimise the time spent changing and don't do it in dusty or windy weather when particles are likely to enter the body. Between good lens-changing practice and a self-cleaning sensor filter, the camera body probably won't need cleaning for a good few years.

Lens front elements need to be cleaned fairly regularly due to accumulation of dust - this won't actually show up on an image because it's too close to the focal plane, but dust on the lens will reduce overall contrast and make the lens more prone to flare. As for the actual camera, the XSi features a self-cleaning sensor; the low-pass filter in front of the sensor vibrates rapidly when the camera is turned on and off, causing nearly all dust in front of the sensor to fall off. And this works, it's not a marketing gimmick - my 400D which has dust on the inside of the viewfinder and I've had for well over a year and had hundreds of lens changes...has a very clean sensor. Be sensible with lens changing, as this is when dust enters the body - minimise the time spent changing and don't do it in dusty or windy weather when particles are likely to enter the body. Between good lens-changing practice and a self-cleaning sensor filter, the camera body probably won't need cleaning for a good few years.

The reason I asked is because the sales lady told me that I should clean the camera at least 5 times a year, which I didn't think was necesary and she was probably trying to get me to spend the $75.00 per cleaning deal.

The reason I asked is because the sales lady told me that I should clean the camera at least 5 times a year, which I didn't think was necesary and she was probably trying to get me to spend the $75.00 per cleaning deal.

Yeah, that's a bit ridiculous. You'll probably want to get a lenspen or a microfibre cleaning cloth for lenses, and that's pretty much it.

Yeah, that's a bit ridiculous. You'll probably want to get a lenspen or a microfibre cleaning cloth for lenses, and that's pretty much it.

Second that and welcome to the Canon club :-)

Here's what I used to use. I grew up using this, then I kind of lost interest in photography. But having purchased a Canon PowerShot SD1000 back in March, my interest has been rekindled. I plan on going in for a high-end Canon as soon as my budget allows.

Ol' Skool.

FE2chromeBig.jpg