Scientists plan to ignite tiny man-made star

Pretty sure that wishing death upon others is against what your 'god' stands for.

lol...my comment has nothing to do with wishing death. I'm sure some people may think Scientist are trying to play God by creating a Sun they think God made and some who don't really don't know how the Sun's existence came about. Some Fusion's have been tested to create power and this Fusion is to harness the power from a reaction that has the energy/heat of the Sun.

It's the 100+ million Celsius that boggles my mind about 'containment' and 'controlled'...maybe a few billionth of a second isn't much..but to me that temperature can melt anything known to man.

Edited by jwjw1

lol...my comment has nothing to do with wishing death. I'm sure some people may think Scientist are trying to play God by creating a Sun they think God made

Not all scientists think a god is responsible for the sun's creation.

and some who don't really don't know how the Sun's existence came about.

Cosmology has a very good grasp on how it cam about, this is an observable phenomena throughout the universe, i'd explain but seeing as your stuck to such logic it'd go way over your head.

Some Fusion's have been tested to create power and this Fusion is to harness the power from a reaction that has the energy/heat of the Sun.

All nuclear fusion generates energy.... brush up on Fusion And then come back and post.

It's the 100+ million Celsius that boggles my mind about 'containment' and 'controlled'...maybe a few billionth of a second isn't much..but to me that temperature can melt anything known to man.

Perhaps.

True, it can, that's the whole point. It needs to get hot enough to get the fuel pellet to collapse, increasing density and providing energy to allow fusion to happen. But that heat will be confined to a very small space, and the nearest thing it can come into contact with is 16 feet away. The reactor itself will be designed to have a big temperature gradient, so the actual heat at the walls will be sustainable (the walls will need to be hot anyway, as that's how we get the energy from it... when a self sustaining reactor has been built). The reactor is designed to take it. They haven't done this on a whim. Years and years of design, development, safety analysis etc. has all gone into this.

Also, looking into the energy output, they are looking at 45Megawatts from each fusion pellet. As someone mentioned earlier, Hydrogen fusion is used in H-bombs. The difference is, a 1kt bomb has roughly a million times the power output (I think, if I did the sums right). It isn't dangerous, and the ITER reactor will be just as safe, if not even safer!

You may be thinking Fission.

since Fusion is a fairly big thing to experiment on and rightly so.

though I don't see any reason to have a ban on fission experiment either, not outside of weapons testing anyway.

You can't go around blowing up fission or fusion bombs, but there's no problem at all with building a power plant.

Well, there are problems, but they're just political.

they are also building a nuclear fusion test plant in europe priced at 5 billion punds sponsored by eu, us, india, china and others which is supposed to generate more power then needed to create and sustain the fusion

Not all scientists think a god is responsible for the sun's creation.

Cosmology has a very good grasp on how it cam about, this is an observable phenomena throughout the universe, i'd explain but seeing as your stuck to such logic it'd go way over your head.

All nuclear fusion generates energy.... brush up on Fusion And then come back and post.

Perhaps.

Wow ego anyone. Just because someone believes is a "god" you make an absurd assumption that he cannot comprehend your level of thinking?

Wow ego anyone. Just because someone believes is a "god" you make an absurd assumption that he cannot comprehend your level of thinking?

Don't worry about it, i'm sure you would fit in same category =P

Some religious folks, refuse to learn, and other simply are too stupid to even know what the process of fusion is, and what Fusion (Creation of energy through fussion of two atoms) and Fission (Creating energy through destruction of atoms)

Don't worry about it, i'm sure you would fit in same category =P

Some religious folks, refuse to learn, and other simply are too stupid to even know what the process of fusion is, and what Fusion (Creation of energy through fussion of two atoms) and Fission (Creating energy through destruction of atoms)

Difference between stupid and uneducated.

If I remember right, is something more like 20-25 Solar Masses minimum to make stellar blackholes. I think. Either way, this thing won't make blackholes, or be dangerous to the general population! Fusion is something I am really excited about. This, and ITER in Cadarache, France, are some of the most important physics machines being built imo. They have huge implications.

Also, ripgut, I just realised that you are forom Pasco. I am going to be nearby in a couple of weeks. I'm going to be in Richmond for 6 months working at LIGO for part of my PhD.

Yea LIGO is awesome, i'm hoping to get a tour of that place soon, we had a star party a few months back there.