[Review]PocketWizards

So for a while now i have been using Pocketwizards. If your new to photography, Pocketwizards are remote flash and camera triggering devices, although they can be used to trigger any type of flash unit and any type of light unit as long as it has sync port support.

Anyway let me do a run down of what you get in the box:

Depending on the set you get 1 or 2 Pocketwizard Plus II Transceiver

PC1 Cable (for use with connecting device to camera or flash unit)

Lanyard strap for the device

Velcro pads for the device

2XAA Batteries (yes this comes with batteries)

Build Quality

The device is made up of 4 main parts that are moulded or fixed together. These are the front casing, back casing, battery cover and ariel.

The device is made of plastic which is very tough and the corners are rounded of and the unit is very smooth. The ariel is made of black rubber and is flexible. The only worry is the battery cover hatch, when opened it appears to be a bit on the flimsy side.

Device Overview

On the top of the device you have the ariel which is about 2 inches long and made of rubber, as well as text labeled Transceiver. Also on top you have two ports and an LED light.

The two ports are silver in color and labeled as Camera/Flash and Flash. This is where you plug in the PC1 cable. The led light is used to indicate the device is transmitting. Also on top is the clip used to hold the lanyard strap.

On the left side of the device you have the on/off button which is a simple sliding button, as well as the C & E symbols and patent information, and text stating Made in the USA. Also an icon stating you can?t put the device in the trash.

The right hand side off the device just holds text saying PocketWizard Plus II Transceiver

The bottom of the device holds the locking hot shoe mount. The build quality is simple plastic with a metal pin at the bottom. There is a plastic bolt which revolves around plastic thread which can be adjusted to tighten or loosen the device from any kind of mounting bracket.

The back of the device houses the battery compartment and a screw fixture for mounting the device to a tripod stand or a similar mounting pole.

The battery housing has a plastic cover which appears to be very flimsy. However it will only open when you gently push down the safety catch on the clip.

The front of the device holds 3 types of buttons and an LED light.

These buttons are labeled as:

Transmit Mode

• Local
  • Both
  • Remote

Channel

A Test button

The led button serves the same purpose as the one on top, it just lets you know the device is transmitting and will only flash when the device is transmitting.

As you know from above there are three types of transmit modes.

Local - Only the flash connected to the camera?s Transceiver will trigger. Remote PocketWizards will not trigger.

Both - This is the default setting. Both the local and remote flashes will trigger in perfect synchronization.

Remote - Only the flashes connected to remote PocketWizards will trigger. The flash connected to the camera?s Plus II Transceiver will not trigger.

The channel button allows you to select what channels you wish to operate on. This is ideal if your in a populated area and others have pocketwizards or some other devices interfere with the unit. However if you are in an area with other photographers sometimes a common courtesy would be to ask what channel they are on etc. However the ability to change channels is very useful and should allow for a smooth interference free usage.

When you push the test button it will basically trigger the device to fire, and this in turn will set off any connected devices and such, so you can check your setup without firing the camera in any way.

Testing the device

The PocketWizards have a triggering speed of up to 12fps and can work with shutter speeds around 1/250 1/500 1/100. I have used the device in doors and out doors and so far had no problems with the devices. The devices fired every time, the only thing slowing down the shoot was either flash battery life or the fact my flash units would go into stand by mode.

When i was testing them outside i was around 10 meters away and they worked wonderful, but according to the manufacturers they can work up to 500 meters. When i was testing them indoors the devices still fired through solid brick walls and worked fine around mobile phones, lights, radios and bluetooth enabled devices.

My setup was to have my Nikon D200 connected to the PocketWizard via the PC1 sync cable which is connected to the camera/flash port. The other PocketWizard in turn was connected to my flash unit via the flash port on the pocketWizards. My second flash was then set to be triggered via the strobe of the first flash. This is because i only have two PocketWizards. However this setup worked fine and there was no flash lag or anything like that.

Overall i am very pleased with the devices, sure they are expensive but i mean you wont be disappointed in them. Not only can they be used to trigger any type of flash unit they can trigger cameras and any type of studio light that has a sync port on it. So really you could use a Nikon D200 to trigger a Nikon SB800 as well as Canon flash units and studio lights. Thats the beauty of these devices, they are not flash/light specific unlike some other remote triggering devices. As long as you have the correct PocketWizard cable and the device has a sync port then the PocketWizard should be able to talk to it and trigger it.

I know the PocketWizards are not cheap but the thing is, if you wish to sell them you can basically sell them at or near the price you bought them for as these hold their value pretty well.

http://danbriant.com/2008/12/30/pocketwizards-review/

I still think they're the most over priced item in photography. period. Plastic, antenna, and an RF transciever? Cheap as hell to make.

I'll probably end up getting some radiopoppers eventually. A 2 light set up is only $160. A SINGLE Pocketwizard is like $180.

Good review, though!

That's a good deal. I've heard too many issues about ebay triggers to buy them, though. Some ppl love em, some ppl hate em. So I figure I'll see how the new radiopoppers work out and may get them in like 6 months.

I got so frustrated with the cheap ebay stuff i went out and got some good reliable kit after using them before. Most of the ebay ones have weak transmitters that can get interferance etc. I did try a cheap ebay set like the rf flash triggers. UGH!

I think one of the main reasons people go with PocketWizards is because they're reputable, trusted by professionals, and they just plain work. Sure there are more affordable sets out there, but PW is a trusted brand, and it works at huge distances.