Favorite new hotkeys

I would love to see a function to adjust the volume sound by just wheeling the mouse up/down over the taskbar sound icon, without the need to open the slider. Like on Ubuntu.

• 2 weeks later...
I would love to see a function to adjust the volume sound by just wheeling the mouse up/down over the taskbar sound icon, without the need to open the slider. Like on Ubuntu.

That hardly saves any time, and would cause alot of confusion for alot of people, I'm willing to bet.

That hardly saves any time, and would cause alot of confusion for alot of people, I'm willing to bet.

They should make it so that you can change volume by hovering your mouse over the volume icon in the system tray and using the scholl wheel, istead of clicking it first.

Did they add a 'Create Folder' hotkey yet? Common, Win-N isn't doing anything. (Though I'd prefer not to have to take my hand off the mouse :) )

Ctrl+Shift+N ;)

• 2 weeks later...

like the aero peek especially when I'll like to see the temperature in the weather gadget so i like win+spacebar

and also win+L to lock my pc from my sneaking brother

• 2 weeks later...
Ctrl+Shift+N ;)

ho ho ho here is my :heart:.

Awesome I've been wondering how to do this, is this new with Win7? Or have I just never found it.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is a shortcut which will hide the gadgets and then bring them back when you either let go, or press it again?

Sometimes I'd like to see just my desktop background with no gadgets in the way, despite the opacity of the gadgets.

Also, there seems to be a bug in the RC (build 7100) which brings the gadgets to the front - above all other windows - and the only way I have found to get rid of this is to restart my computer. I'm a bit confused as it's happened twice now in the past 3 days and it's never happened before. Is there a shortcut key to send the gadgets back to the back?

ho ho ho here is my :heart:.

Awesome I've been wondering how to do this, is this new with Win7? Or have I just never found it.

Just tested it in XP. Doesn't work there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ouhh!, i didint know about the Win+T Shortcut!. Also, if you click and hold one of the icons in the taskbar, And drag it upward, it will fade the menu in!, i found that out by meeself :p

It's not strictly a "hotkey", but today I discovered something I'm not even sure has been documented... By double-clicking on either the top or bottom frame of a window (you know, when the mouse pointer turns into a symbol), it will resize itself to maximum vertical size, but with no change in the horizontal size. In other words, the way some windows behave when maximized on Mac if not using an Option key. Double-click again to restore (and for the restore, but the restore only, a click on the title bar will work as well).

• 2 weeks later...
Win++ (that's the plus key, next to the backspace)

and

Win+-

will activate the magnifier with its awesome new full screen zoom (which can be configured to lens mode as well). Stumbled upon this by accident in the PDC build, and very much like the feature. I've noticed that the Aero parts such as title bars get a nice filtering effect on them so they don't look quite as bad when magnified, but sadly this doesn't yet carry over to the actual window contents (making the intermediate zoom levels such as 125% look hideous).

Note: This currently doesn't seem to work with the numpad + and - keys, only the set next to the horizontal row of numbers. Would like to see that fixed. :)

Also, I have so much love for Win+P. It actually works! :D

Thanx alot man :woot: . BTW, I'm using 64-bit version and for me the num pad keys work fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there an official list put out by Microsoft of these shortcuts, I would like to know? If not then we should make a list and pin it on "windows 7 Support" or pin a shortcut to BrandonLive's site :p

edit: ok i found rakeshishere post on page 6 that has the list from Microsoft sorted into groups.

Edited by Doli

• 2 weeks later...
WIN+E without a doubt. but I hope they fix it to go to Computer and not Libraries.

It does go to Computer here. Not sure why it doesn't for you.

my favorite is alt + f4 :D

I can't imagine how they thought up that one. So intuitive :-)

for people without the function on their Keyboards.. is their a hotkey for

Muteing all sound yet ?

Not that I know of. You could remap a function key for that purpose in the

registry, though. The relevant registry key is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout

Here's some MS documentation on that (old but still applies):

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/w2kscan-map.mspx

The scancode for mute/unmute is E0 20, so you'd want something like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]

"Scancode Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00, 20,e0,xx,xx, 00,00,00,00

where the x's are replaced by the value for your function key.

Ouhh!, i didint know about the Win+T Shortcut!. Also, if you click and hold one of

the icons in the taskbar, And drag it upward, it will fade the menu in!, i found that

out by meeself :p

Nice one :)

Ctrl + Click on a grouped icon will cycle between the windows (or tabs) in the group.

Also:

CTRL + WIN + # cycles through the windows for the app at position # on the taskbar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am not certain if these are new (probably not)

Win+E - Libraries

Win+U - Accessibility

Win+D - Desktop

Win+F - Search

Win+L - Lock

Win+B - Unknown

Win+M - Seems to minimize

Win+Number - Seems to start a new instance of the window, according to the superbar position.

Correction: Windows+M - Show Desktop (minimizes all open windows)

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see this one mentioned and I find it to be very useful and one of my most used shortcuts, if you enjoy eye candy, you'll love it...

Win + Tab Flip-3D

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Win and Up arrow maximizes

Win and down arrow Mediumizes

( I have copyrighted Mediumizes, because MS never came up with a name for that state)

( Paypal me a dollar, and you too can use Mediumizes )

BUT INSTEAD of all that, you could just use the mouse to double click the Titlebar