• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Is there ANY way to run OSX on a x86 processor?

HPMCommander    0

so you could view it several ways:

possible and useful

possible and useless

impossible but useful

impossible and pointless

unlikely but useful <--- that's where i am right now

Wouldn't it be so secksee if someone over at apple leaked that x86 port? w00 baby!

|Creeper|    0

Right! That's like the "computer specs" thing...

You have a 3GHz cpu... cool... But IT will not make your computer faster than any computer in the world...

What makes "the difference" is the speed (I/O, write/read speed) of your Harddrive...

That's the slowest part of the compu...

It's cool to know your specs but don't forget to put the speed of your HDD, just to be accurate... ;)

There's always something hidden behind...

kairon    0
That is the biggest load of horse sh!t I've ever read, you sir are an idiot. :angry:

Yeah, you try emulating some foreign-out of the normal x86 hardware and get it running code. I'd like to see you try. As for OS X on X86 think about all the great times you could have running it....then

forget it, it will not happen, support Apple.

realmccoy    0

No, not at this time.

kairon    0
Yeah, it might happen, but by the time it does OSXX will be out, so don't get too excited about it.

To be exact, OSXX would be OS 20, you are thinking of OS XI (i think). And Apple has not released any plans of an OS 11 as this point as they have a very nice thing going with the OS X build increment 10.* releases.And Mac OS X is not crap, in fact its the best your ever gonna find for a user-friendly *nix-based OS , IMO.

no name    0

my opinion is... enjoy working on your computers and you can do a better job even on a worse computer

h0ax    0
To be exact, OSXX would be OS 20, you are thinking of OS XI (i think). And Apple has not released any plans of an OS 11 as this point as they have a very nice thing going with the OS X build increment 10.* releases.And Mac OS X is not crap, in fact its the best your ever gonna find for a user-friendly *nix-based OS , IMO.

i actually think he means mac os 20.x

memNOC    0

ok you are all wrong.. :D

not only that its possible, ive SEEN it done.. intel machine, running MacOS 9 i believe.. the way they did it? ..... its called Zeta (YellowTab).. a new and improved version of BeOS5 and it sure does run MacOS9 (im not sure about OSX).. theres a video out there (about 80mb) that shows their OS running Mac.. amazing, to say the least.. Zeta is still in early beta development and no one's sure when it will be finished.. but i can asssure you this: Mac x86 emulation is not only possible, but it exists now.. so there you go..

talk amongst yourselves...... :alien:

kairon    0

Um, no, YOU are wrong. This guy meant OS X, and OS X emulation does not exist. And OS X is radically different from OS 9.

Emon    40
That is the biggest load of horse sh!t I've ever read, you sir are an idiot. :angry:

I 2nd you on that. I dont know how many macs you have used, Cowpie. But I have to deal with those pile of sh*t every day at work.

memNOC    0

EDIT: reply to kairon

lol i think Mac emulation in ANY way is a major improvement to say the least.. and if theyve gotten this far, im sure OSX will be implemented next.. so :yes:

and note how i didnt discard the possibility of OSX being emulated since i dont know for sure, i just didnt see them doing it.. meaning, there might be a chance it already is.. :)

btw, youre a happy OSX trooper, aint ya? :D sorry to burst your bubble, but people wont have to buy expensive Mac's in the future to use Mac OS'es.. :)

HPMCommander    0

interesting! even OS 9 would be nice to do...

threetonesun    1,204

Yeah, it was a joke. I know my Roman numerals, by the time OSX makes it to an x86, OSXX will be out. Get it?

HPMCommander    0

i'm looking at the site for Zeta right now, is it possible to run OS9 if you have the CD of OS9? (or image)

kairon    0
btw, youre a happy OSX trooper, aint ya? :D sorry to burst your bubble, but people wont have to buy expensive Mac's in the future to use Mac OS'es.. :)

Show me the proof you have to back up this rediculous claim. If anything, Mac OS X will never be running on an X86 processor with Apple backing it. IBM is developing a PPC 970 chip (or G5 i think they will call it) that will surely keep Apple off the x86 for years to come.

kairon    0
Yeah, it was a joke. I know my Roman numerals, by the time OSX makes it to an x86, OSXX will be out. Get it?

Sorry, I read a little too fast there. :rolleyes:

memNOC    0
i'm looking at the site for Zeta right now, is it possible to run OS9 if you have the CD of OS9? (or image)

im pretty sure thats how it is done.. let me see if i can get that video link for you so you can check it out.. aside of Mac emulation, Zeta will be an amazing OS.. i definitelly know im switching to it when it comes out.. stability and scalability BeOS is known for, but now with even improved compatibility with the newest hardware, and continued software support.. a complete BeOS community revival.. its gonna be kick ass.. :)

HPMCommander    0

awesome, that'd be great if you could get a link, i'm looking foward to it... so Zeta isn't out yet you say?

aaron901    1

hahahaha :laugh: some people are just too dumb to understand what business is about. :whistle:

HPMCommander    0

aaron: i completely understand what you're talking about, i'm just being greedy here... i want mac os!!! :laugh:

turbodonkey    0
The whole essence of OS X is to have it on mac hardware. You and I know that Apple probably tought long and hard about the switch to x86. Its obvious that they decided to scrap the idea. Which means, No, it wont be out later this year.

Joshie: Well one of the problems are that the lowest end mac out performs the highest end PC by about 30%, so even if you are running a P4 3.0 processor, it will still be slow. It just wouldnt be feesable to do it.

Thats just not true by a long shot, thats why apple have resorted to dual processor G4's at four times the price of an equivalent PC. I have seen Photoshop and Premiere benchmarks between a Dell P4 and a Mac Dual G4 where the PC totally smoked the Mac. Personally I think Apple will make the switch to X86... Just my 2 cents

:0) :sleep:

aaron901    1

you know, there's a fine line between possibility and feasibility.

HPMCommander    0

lol... i always thought possibility and feasibility were like synonyms...

turbodonkey    0

They are...

macster    0

Guys

As a mac user, i admit that PC users have faster processors that churn out all that rare benchmark results that bash macs like crazy and yes u guys have higher memory bandwidth and FPU and blah blah blah performance

But the experience of using a computer is not only about rare speed, there are other things that ppl care about like stability, user-friendliness, the eye candy, security and blah blah bah

When i use a Mac, i have to worry less about patches, security updates, whether my new leaked detonator is going to crap my com and blah blah blah

Maybe thats why mac users have the illusion of being faster because we simply have more time and energy to concentrate on what we do

All the PC users bash 3Dmark as just eye candy that dont give u any idea how fast your real games are going to run

Same here with the PC and Mac, lets not just compare the raw power of the processors.

Lets just maybe compare what a human being can do on a Mac and PC in an hour

Just buy a Mac with OS X and feel it for yourself

If u dont like it, then just put it aside

And to all gamers out there, dont get a Mac

BTW if they could port Darwin over to x86, Apple would still not allow Aqua to be ported over