Is there ANY way to run OSX on a x86 processor?

I also could care less if peecees have 8ghz processors and have millions of software titles. Speed isn't the end all on how you rate quality.

True: but it sure is nice to have (/me looks at IBM: hurry up!)

I also could care less if peecees have 8ghz processors and have millions of software titles. Speed isn't the end all on how you rate quality.

True: but it sure is nice to have (/me looks at IBM: hurry up!)

Yeah I agree. It would be NICE to have a faster processor, but it wouldn't make or break my decision to keep buying Mac (which I will).

just going to post my 2 cents...

first of all, an os X emulator doesn't exist, and i think will not exist very soon because of the argumentation of more registers in a PPC processor. It's impossible to make it run at a decent speed.

second, apple main reason to not make/release it is it's hardware division. They are too expensive for the moment. (in my opinion). I think, if they play it smart, they could make more money from software when they would release a x86 version of OS X.

I think that after some time many users would go to OS X for their x86... Why? It looks great, works fine, is build on open source unix kernel, works with lots of free linux/unix software and combines this with important custumor products like Photoshop, dreamweaver and they aren't dependable anymore from microsoft.

third, i never 'worked' on a mac, i did played with it for some minutes, but can't compare how confortable it is to use... I had it with windows, now with XP it's stable (now have an uptime of 27 days with plenty of hardware), but you can't control it all, can't customize it it like with linux. The idea around OS X is in my opinion the best to combine both.

fourth: Is their a way that you can 'rent' a mac to try it? l'm a student and want to try it, but don't want to spend loads of money just for trying workin with it. If it's really better for my needs, i would buy one.

R

fourth: Is their a way that you can 'rent' a mac to try it? l'm a student and want to try it, but don't want to spend loads of money just for trying workin with it. If it's really better for my needs, i would buy one.

i know there are two G4 labs and one new iMac lab at my school...possibly try that at yours? usually they are more crowded than the PC labs...maybe because there are fewer Macs, but maybe because people enjoy working on them more...

go to an apple store if there's one close to you. check out compusa maybe as well. both will give you an idea of what macs are like.... but obviously it will take more than that to help you decide which computer is right for you.

i dont know if anyone else posted this because I didnt read every post but if not here is an article about osx coming to PC's:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,496270,00.asp

Ya, I posted that already. ;)

Just be careful...you're asking for a whole slew of crap from partisans... :p Apple always has something up their sleeves. We'll just have to wait and see what they are gonna do.

But...I like this quote from the article: "When a shareholder argued that a move could be beneficial to the company, Jobs replied, "That is an opinion." " :shifty:

Look at the source of that article: think secret - a mac os rumors site with a lousy reputation of making accurate predictions. The "anonymous sources" don't fill me with confiednce either.

of course there is the line from that article itself:

"ut a switch to Intel or Advanced Micro Devices Inc. processors is probably not in the cards for tomorrow's Mac".

No point in really debunking this any further as we've already done it once earlier in the tread.

You're kidding right???:blink:k:

Uh, no, why should that affect stability that much?I mean, its not like you have those kinds of extra features turned "on", unless you have the hardware that supports it, otherwise both Windows and Mac OS X would be slower with so much code running at once.

It's not the fact that all the drivers are "turned on" at once. It's the fact that Windows has to support 100X more pieces of hardware then MacOS does. And most of those pieces of hardware bring third party drivers with them. It's those third party drivers that help make Windows a little less stable. MacOS, for the most part, doesn't have to worry about third party drivers; thus, less stability issues.

why must people who don't know anything post as if they do? OS X includes multitudes of drivers for third part hardware. this is part and parcel of the mac experience. buy a component, plug it in, and it works. bam.

First off, I know of what I speak; thus I post:):)

Secondly, the reason for the whole "Mac Experience" is because Apple makes sure that their OS only supports hardware they want it to support. In my opinion, this is not a bad thing. It assures stability. But, there are those times when in fact the "MAC Experience" does not work, like when my friend tries to use his Keio USB mouse under OSX. So I guess it's drivers aren't part of the multitude.

You're kidding right???:blink:k:

Uh, no, why should that affect stability that much?I mean, its not like you have those kinds of extra features turned "on", unless you have the hardware that supports it, otherwise both Windows and Mac OS X would be slower with so much code running at once.

It's not the fact that all the drivers are "turned on" at once. It's the fact that Windows has to support 100X more pieces of hardware then MacOS does. And most of those pieces of hardware bring third party drivers with them. It's those third party drivers that help make Windows a little less stable. MacOS, for the most part, doesn't have to worry about third party drivers; thus, less stability issues.

why must people who don't know anything post as if they do? OS X includes multitudes of drivers for third part hardware. this is part and parcel of the mac experience. buy a component, plug it in, and it works. bam.

First off, I know of what I speak; thus I post:):)

Secondly, the reason for the whole "Mac Experience" is because Apple makes sure that their OS only supports hardware they want it to support. In my opinion, this is not a bad thing. It assures stability. But, there are those times when in fact the "MAC Experience" does not work, like when my friend tries to use his Keio USB mouse under OSX. So I guess it's drivers aren't part of the multitude.

nah, they tend to only include drivers from major manufacturers. However they do include a generic driver plus its not that hard to download a driver, unless of course your mates mouse didn't have one for osx

plus its not that hard to download a driver

Tell that to the people who made those mac commercials about the Windows users always downloading drivers. ;)

I wuv u wickedkitten, don't scratch me! :laugh:

Tell that to the people who made those mac commercials about the Windows users always downloading drivers. ;)

I have yet to have to download anything other than logitech control centre software to get a peripheral working on osx. Iphoto even recognises the digital camera and scanner that I use. However everytime I start up xp it keeps asking me for the driver to my samsung 4500 laser printer.

The same printer that works perfectly in OSX sharing it though the PC.

I have yet to have to download anything other than logitech control centre software to get a peripheral working on osx. Iphoto even recognises the digital camera and scanner that I use. However everytime I start up xp it keeps asking me for the driver to my samsung 4500 laser printer.

This is way off topic, so I apologize, but that should be easy to fix. You should just delete the current driver you have and the next time it asks you to install the printer, install it that way. Windows will leave you alone after that.

It's worked for me that way with several printers I've installed - but I have never tried with a Samsung 4500 Laser printer.

This is way off topic, so I apologize, but that should be easy to fix. You should just delete the current driver you have and the next time it asks you to install the printer, install it that way. Windows will leave you alone after that.

It's worked for me that way with several printers I've installed - but I have never tried with a Samsung 4500 Laser printer.

nah, its a known issue with the samsung 4500 and the windows xp driver. It's not Microsofts fault either, you actually have to do some crap with the linux driver but i cant be arsed so i just click cancel when it pops up

nah, its a known issue with the samsung 4500 and the windows xp driver. It's not Microsofts fault either, you actually have to do some crap with the linux driver but i cant be arsed so i just click cancel when it pops up

:pinch: that sux

sounds kind of like usb/parallel HP printers...you know, how they like to print about half a page when they're in parallel mode - whether you use HP's or Microsoft's driver. *sigh* Maybe one of these days we won't have to deal with driver issues.

:whistle: HAHAHAHAHA oh that was a good one. :whistle:

wow... all the way here just from asking if there was a way to use OSX on a pc!!! holy ****!

lol, for future reference whenever you put the words "Mac" and "PC/x86" in the same title for a thread you are waking a sleeping giant. :rolleyes:

Even if you got that "Marklar" OSX x86 that is locked up in Apple, It would be useless because one: no drivers are made my hardware manufacturers for it, and two, no programs for OSX would work on it.

Why? they are two different architectures, with two different versions of assembly. Because the OSX programs are compiled for a PPC rather than x86, you will not be able to run the program.

OSX will not switch to x86 because

A.) Hardware manufacturers would have to rewrite their drivers

B.) either one of two things would happen: 1. Software companies would sell the x86 version of their software seperately, and PPC versions would not work on x86 OSX. or 2.) Software vendors would have to send new versions to all their customers.

C.) No backwards compatability

D.) Apple would have to completely phase out the PPC macs in a very long and financially painful process.

As for me though....BeOS/Zeta+x86 > OSX+PPC :p

okay, 4 pages have proven that OSX is not going to run on x86 for a period of time, a long one i suppose.

so for those who want OSX so badly, sorry, no option but to buy Apple hardwares. and if Apple machines are too costly for you, try ebay, or.... hmm...well, bad luck. be happy with Windows XP 'coz it rocks as well. :)