Teen orders a ubuntu dell laptop, misses online classes

Verizon wireless card is detected as a MODEM, and uses a standard dialer to use. NO you do not need the cd. I have never needed one for mine.

Thank you, I just came into this topic again and read their response and thankfully yours. I have set up both Telus and Rogers ones on linux and it's easier than on windows believe it or not.

I am not a linux fanboy, the only system I currently have running linux is my file server. I like linux, but I mostly play games, so I mostly use windows.

Gutted for that woman. You guys on here have been pretty mean and what may be obvious to you may not be to her.

I have not used ubunto so can't actually comment but this story does describe the problems facing Linux. What they need is a guide that says "If you don't know what Linux is read this" aiding users from other OS's. Sitting back and laughing at the n00b is not helping.

It's not a matter of computer skills, but reading skills. From the dell site, right when you access the linux section:

oh fair enough i havn't visited so didn't see that warning...okay maybe she is an idiot but the point still stands the guy said ubuntu would do the task for her so she had no need to return it and when she found out it wouldn't do what she asked then they said they can't replace it for her so fail on both ends :p

she bought an operating system for her computer she never heard of, Ubuntu

I thought Ubuntu was free? Anyways, the dimwit didn't check her order properly, so who is to blame?

But she says Dell discouraged her.

"The person I was talking to said Ubuntu was great, college students loved it, it was compatible with everything I needed," said Schubert.

So she stuck with it.

How the hell was that "discouragement" ? She took a risk here and stuck with it. Who's fault is it?

Her Verizon High-Speed Internet CD won't load, so she can't access the internet

Don't tell me she was expecting the internet to run on her CD? :blink:

She also can't install Microsoft Word, which she says is a requirement for MATC's online classes.

There is always OpenOffice.org.... You could change the format to .doc .

It is ENTIRELY her fault.

Hmmm, don't see how she couldn't access the internet on ubuntu straight away, if the computer comes with ubuntu on it, then surely dell has checked the hardware works with ubuntu, which pretty much.. everything works with ubuntu, iv'e used ubuntu before on my pc, installed it and everything, and i mean everything worked perfect on it, all i had to do was install my graphics drivers, easy as pie to just tick the box and let it install and restart!

Her fault really for not checking over her order anyways.

I think the mistake that the Dell representative made was assuming that she was an intelligent college student: i.e. someone with a thirst to learn new things, and expand their knowledge. As opposed to someone too stupid to figure out an internet connection without a step by step CD.

She should have bought a mac :laugh:

Hell, just give her a Mac and be done with it. I'm sure it would go great with her pink-cased iPod. :p

But all fun aside, I find this particularly disturbing:

When she realized her mistake, she tried to go back to Windows, but she was discouraged from doing so.

It's one thing if you want to get your buddy hooked up with Linux, it's an entirely different ballgame when you're a CSR or a company rep tasked with addressing a customer's needs and requests.

THE ONLY THING THOUGH IS THAT IT HAS TO HAVE OX 8

Mac: 150 MHz CPU, PowerPC or better, 64 MB RAM, speakers, CD-ROM drive, monitor capable of " thousands of colors" or better

(Mac) Netscape Communicator 4.76 not 6.x

So I guess if she ordered a Mac today it would not meet the standards Since If I am not mistaken-- The default web browser is not Netscape-....

Oh god. She fails :no: You don't even have to be even a little bit good with computers to have common sense. I mean the internet could fix all her answers, but she's too dumb to get that working in the first place.

*Saves article and sends to people who will get a laugh out of this*

THE ONLY THING THOUGH IS THAT IT HAS TO HAVE OX 8

Mac: 150 MHz CPU, PowerPC or better, 64 MB RAM, speakers, CD-ROM drive, monitor capable of " thousands of colors" or better

(Mac) Netscape Communicator 4.76 not 6.x

So I guess if she ordered a Mac today it would not meet the standards Since If I am not mistaken-- The default web browser is not Netscape-....

I'm not sure what you mean by all that.

To think that people here are supposed to be helpful, not utter jerks. Seriously, some of you guys need to get off your high horse. Not everyone knows how to use the internet as a resource because some people just don't get it.

Edit: Perhaps the ones that are being jerks and poking fun are not part of the helpful bunch... yes, that's a good possibility.

Edited by Mathachew

To think that people here are supposed to be helpful, not utter jerks. Seriously, some of you guys need to get off your high horse. Not everyone knows how to use the internet as a resource because some people just don't get it.

Edit: Perhaps the ones that are being jerks and poking fun are not part of the helpful bunch... yes, that's a good possibility.

Do you see a way to help her in this thread? I don't see her, a relative or hers, a friend of hers, or anybody else on here trying to solve her problems. If they were, we would help them.

Well what about common sense? everybody has that, right? It was all her fault, she chose to keep Ubuntu even though she didn't know how to work it.

Well, I'm sure you can agree that there are varying levels of common sense, where a lot of times it seems people lack it. She used common sense when she realized that she wasn't receiving Windows and tried to change it. She could be a person who is easily swayed, who knows? What we do know is that she had doubts and that the Dell rep persuaded her to get it, assuring her that everything will be fine. Her initial uncertainty and doubt were diminished when she was comforted by the Dell rep when he told her that it will all work with no problem. She took his word for it and now she's learning otherwise, but this makes her an utter retard? That's harsh.

Do you see a way to help her in this thread? I don't see her, a relative or hers, a friend of hers, or anybody else on here trying to solve her problems. If they were, we would help them.

So, because she's not here asking for help, everyone is justified in ripping her to shreds?

Her fault for not educating herself.

That is an incredibly naive thing to say. Somebody shouldn't have to be an expert in technology to purchase and use a computer, and the Dell representative certainly shouldn't have discouraged her from returning the machine to get the OS she wanted.

So, because she's not here asking for help, everyone is justified in ripping her to shreds?

Is she special? Or when people 'rip someone to shreds' do they have to justify themselves?

I'm a jerk and I'm helpful. If she were asking for help then I, and many of the other people here would not make fun of her, but would help her. Why is there a difference? Because she's purposely being ignorant. Instead of trying to do something to solve her problem, she's happy to sit at home and complain about it. She dropped out of 2 semesters simply because she refuses to learn anything or to just send it back and get one with windows, or to just buy windows. SHE IS A PATHETIC, LAZY, WHINY PERSON.

... and the Dell representative certainly shouldn't have discouraged her from returning the machine to get the OS she wanted.

I agree with you there.

However, on the other hand, Dell (and other OEMs) strongly resist returning the Windows OS a Linux user doesn't want, even if they don't agree to the license. Only a few cases have been successful. Similar situation with an OEM being stubborn in saying "you bought it, it's your problem now".

Honestly, the girl doesn't seem all that bright to me. She could have sold that one and then took the money and bought herself a new laptop with Windows. Or she could have sought out a local geek who probably might have been persuaded to help her use the Ubuntu one. There are ways.

she should have been stuck with windows... if an dell dude said to me ubuntu would be better... i would say he could stick that where the sun shines.. Im NEVER going to use UBUNTU... EVER...!!!!

thats why i threw out EVERY ubuntu DVD/CD I HAD... SMASHED THEM... Broke em.. everything... BURNED THEM hehehehehehe

anyway... NEVER going to use ubuntu.. I HATE YOU UBUNTU.. DIE!

Hell, it takes a lot of effort to even FIND a Linux PC on Dell's site. I don't think there is any easy way to get there from http://www.dell.com
Great Deals on Laptops for Home, and it's the first offer on the list. EDIT: from dell.ca, that is. On dell.com : Deals for Home -> NEW LOWER PRICES ON MINIS !, and the first offer is a Ubuntu laptop.

But something stopped her: she bought an operating system for her computer she never heard of, Ubuntu.

Did anyone else miss this part? Why did she pay for Ubuntu? It's free.