Installing Vista over Windows 7? Possible?

While ago i decided to switch to Win7 and deleted my excisting Vista x64 installation(I dont like Dual Boot).

I love Win7 yet the compability problems are killing me and as it seems I have to Dual Boot. Can I install Windows Vista 64 bit over an excisting Windows 7 64 bit installation on different partitions of course? Will the Vista installation overwrite my Win7 boot or will it just edit it?

Thats too bad coz i spent too much time on fine tuning my Windows 7.

Isn't there any workaround with the bootmanager? Or will it completely mess up my win7?

Isn't there any workaround with the bootmanager? Or will it completely mess up my win7?

Hey if you do manage to downgrade, please let me know, I'm having a small problem with compatability also.

Hey if you do manage to downgrade, please let me know, I'm having a small problem with compatability also.

I will take the risk and just try it. Will report back when I'm done.

If you're saying you want to add an additional Vista partition and dualboot, then it should work fine. The worst thing that could happen is that the Vista install would overwrite your bootloader. But if you install Vista then stick in your 7 install DVD, have it repair; it should automatically fix the bootloader.

Maybe that's why it's broken? Should have left it alone because it performs great as is?

Everything worked out fine no problems in boot menu. Vista is selected as default in boot menu, boot timer set to 30 seconds. Windows 7 works with no problem after installing vista over it.