Getting Peer Guardian 2 Working with Windows 7 Beta

If you have managed to get Peer Guardian 2 fully WORKING with Windows 7 Beta (64-bit), I would love to hear from you. Please tell me which PG2 worked - the XP 64-bit or the Vista 64-bit.

I have tried both without success. I get the following message (and the pgfilter.sys file IS there):

"PeerGuardian is unable to load the packet filtering driver. This could happen if PeerGuardian crashed and didn't have a chance to unload the driver or if the file pgfilter.sys can't be found."

Thank you,

Star

It doesn't work with Windows 7 64-bit. I actually posted a while back asking if anybody had gotten it working; didn't get any replies.

It works just fine with Windows 7 32-bit, though.

It doesn't work with Windows 7 64-bit. I actually posted a while back asking if anybody had gotten it working; didn't get any replies.

I actually posted this in your other thread yesterday kylejn. I got it running on my install, see below.

I assume you get an error about pgfilter.sys when attempting to run PG2, see attachment.

The problem is the Driver Signature Enforcement Policy. You have two options to resolve this:

1. Press f8 (note you will have to do this every time you want PG 2 to run) before windows 7 boot and choose Disable Driver Signature Enforcement.

or

2. Disable UAC | reboot | download DSEO 1.2 (should be the first link on Google) | patch C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\pgfilter.sys with the tool and set the system to test mode, with the tool | then reboot.

The above worked for me on my x64 install of Windows 7. FYI I used the most recent RC test client, hope this helps.

post-278666-1232337338.jpg

post-278666-1232339732_thumb.jpg

Edited by Drak83

• 2 months later...

New version 13b

Works really nice on 7 (64) except after it loads up it disappears in the toolbar. When I check show icon and notifications it still doesn't show up so I can't update lists.

dseo13b.jpg

Why even use it? It doesn't have any useful effect anyway. What says the companies/groups you are trying to block simply don't use their connections at home, a vpn or other kind of tunnel? That would make such a list totally useless, which it already is. The only thing it will do is single you out if they monitor the same torrent or whatever it is long enough using different connections. If you have considered this and still think it's a good idea, by all means use it. :) I'm not trying to attack anyone.

On topic: If using Test Signing mode you might want to patch the strings in user32.dll.mui to stop it from saying "Test Mode" at the edges of your screen. Unless that program already does that of course. :)

• 3 weeks later...
New version 13b

Works really nice on 7 (64) except after it loads up it disappears in the toolbar. When I check show icon and notifications it still doesn't show up so I can't update lists.

dseo13b.jpg

Same problem. I'm going to uninstall it and try again.

Why even use it? It doesn't have any useful effect anyway. What says the companies/groups you are trying to block simply don't use their connections at home, a vpn or other kind of tunnel? That would make such a list totally useless, which it already is. The only thing it will do is single you out if they monitor the same torrent or whatever it is long enough using different connections. If you have considered this and still think it's a good idea, by all means use it. :) I'm not trying to attack anyone.

+1

• 2 weeks later...

On topic: If using Test Signing mode you might want to patch the strings in user32.dll.mui to stop it from saying "Test Mode" at the edges of your screen. Unless that program already does that of course. :)

Well, this is the way I look at it. Before I used PG, I got 2 letters from my ISP in a month regarding illegally downloaded software. I have now started using PG and I haven't gotten a letter in almost a year. So as far as I'm concerned, it works perfectly fine.

Ontopic: thanks for the pro tips

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, Starborn_Roamer, I hope you're still checking back on these forums, because I have gotten PeerGuardian2 to work for Windows 7 RC 7100.

The error you received is the same one I got the first time I updated to Vista: it's due to, as you may well know, Driver Signing Enforcement. There are a few ways around this, like hitting F8 every time you start your computer to disable this, but that can get kind of annoying. There is a program called ReadyDriver Plus that basically does that for you every time your computer starts. It attaches itself to the boot loader, automatically starts the advanced options menu, selects "Disable Device Signing Enforcement" and then Vista/7 loads like normal.

That's the first problem down. I just installed 7 today and after installing ReadyDriver and PeerGuardian, I started PG up and things looked to be going great! Except that after it loaded, it never showed up in the notification area! I knew it was running, because it was showing up in the task manager, I just couldn't access the UI. To be honest, I thought I wouldn't be able to use it.

A few minutes ago, I had to restart my computer, and when I did, PG started up (I have it start automatically) and lo-and-behold, it's working perfectly. I have no idea what did it, but I guess the restart was necessary for Windows 7.

PG2on7.jpg

So, get yourself ReadyDriver Plus, install it, install PeerGuardian2 (you'll still get a popup saying that the driver isn't supported, but you can still use PG2), restart the computer, and hopefully everything should be right! Hope this helps!

Edited by ghostofmccleve

I ended up using the Deluge torrent client that runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It has a built in auto updating block list in the plugins, which is really handy. I've heard mixed reports on PeerGuardian working in Windows 7

How did you get PG2 to work on 32-bit? I've tried everything.................

It doesn't work with Windows 7 64-bit.

It does now. I am using the 64-bit version of 7.

A few minutes ago, I had to restart my computer, and when I did, PG started up (I have it start automatically) and lo-and-behold, it's working perfectly. I have no idea what did it, but I guess the restart was necessary for Windows 7.

I found out why PeerGuardian didn't start up the first time around. Under the "Settings" tab, there is the option to "Always Start Hidden." Doing that will cause PG2 to not show up in the taskbar and make it impossible for you to access the GUI (Graphical User Interface). Just thought I'd let you all know that.

So, to get PeerGuardian 2 to work for Windows 7 x64:

1. Install ReadyDriver Plus to automate the process of booting Windows without Driver Signing Enforcement (or if you're leery of using the program, you will have to remember to hit F8 every time you boot your computer and select the Disable Driver Signing Enforcement option).

2. Install PG2 like normal. When you go to run it for the first time, after running the First Run Wizard, you may get a popup from Windows telling you that the driver has not been signed by Windows, but you can still use the program anyway.

3. Make sure that the "Always Start Hidden" check box is cleared. Having that selected will make the GUI disappear and PG2 not show up in the task bar.

Also, the first two steps work to get PG2 to install properly under Vista x64. I followed those steps to get it to work when I was using Vista. Hope this helps. Happy downloading!

It does now. I am using the 64-bit version of 7.

But will this work with 32-bit????

I found out why PeerGuardian didn't start up the first time around. Under the "Settings" tab, there is the option to "Always Start Hidden." Doing that will cause PG2 to not show up in the taskbar and make it impossible for you to access the GUI (Graphical User Interface). Just thought I'd let you all know that.

So, to get PeerGuardian 2 to work for Windows 7 x64:

1. Install ReadyDriver Plus to automate the process of booting Windows without Driver Signing Enforcement (or if you're leery of using the program, you will have to remember to hit F8 every time you boot your computer and select the Disable Driver Signing Enforcement option).

2. Install PG2 like normal. When you go to run it for the first time, after running the First Run Wizard, you may get a popup from Windows telling you that the driver has not been signed by Windows, but you can still use the program anyway.

3. Make sure that the "Always Start Hidden" check box is cleared. Having that selected will make the GUI disappear and PG2 not show up in the task bar.

Also, the first two steps work to get PG2 to install properly under Vista x64. I followed those steps to get it to work when I was using Vista. Hope this helps. Happy downloading!

I'm running Windows 7 32-bit and cannot get it to run. First of all it will not load as in showing the splash screen and/or settings, cannot add anything to it. It's running in task master and if reboot shows the creating cache list but nothing else. How did you get it to work on 32 bit?

In my experience the default list of PG2 blocks Alot of IP's that have nothing to do with monitoring internet activity. It runs under Windows 7 32bit, but you may need to run it in "Windows Vista" Compatibility mode and as administrator.

• 1 month later...
I'm running Windows 7 32-bit and cannot get it to run. First of all it will not load as in showing the splash screen and/or settings, cannot add anything to it. It's running in task master and if reboot shows the creating cache list but nothing else. How did you get it to work on 32 bit?

All so having problem getting it to auto-start on Win7,it's in the startup,but does not start ,can start manualy OK.

Peerblock which is a fork of PG2 works fine on 7 32 bit, no need to install any loaders.

They are currently working on getting the driver signed for 64 bit.

Peerblock which is a fork of PG2 works fine on 7 32 bit, no need to install any loaders.

They are currently working on getting the driver signed for 64 bit.

URL, and will it work on Vista x64 as well?