Shaw Launches 100Mbps Broadband

Just shows you what a monopoly allows them to do. Here is what a local ISP (Downtown Vancouver only) which provides fibre to home, gives you for the same price:

# $249.95/mth

# - Download Speed: 50 Mbps

# - Upload Speed: 50 Mbps

# - Static IPs: 1

# - Dynamic IPs: 6

# - Email Accounts: 20

# - Email Account Space: 100MB

# - Personal Web Space: 100MB

# - Domain Hosting

# - Data Transfer: 540 GB

#

Source: http://www.novusnow.ca/services/internet.php

Are you sure about those limits? my friend gets cut off every damn month with novus. I'd hate that so much if it happened to me.

... shared by the entire college :D

Not when you get almost 100Mbps on speedtest.net :p We have a fantastic infrastructure, and we have major pipes coming in, this college is rated as one of the fastest internet providers

Using Videotron here, TGV30 package for 65$/month. I get 30Mbps down and 1Mbps up and a cap of 70Gb/month.

I never bust that cap, I'm not a big pirate, but I do enjoy a download speed of 3Mb/sec !!!

Are you sure about those limits? my friend gets cut off every damn month with novus. I'd hate that so much if it happened to me.

Did I put random numbers down? Yes, it's on their site. I have them, and the residential 110GB is more than generous for the price (compared to Shaw and Telus). He probably has the residential package and goes over his 110GB limit, hence getting cut off. Good thing he is getting cut off, it keeps Novus from raising the prices for the rest of us. He can always go into the control panel and add more gb's for $0.50.

I'm currently paying for their 25-mbit service - I wouldn't recommend their 100mbit offering because they don't offer even 1/2 what they claim possible.

Using their speed test tool I saw 13mbit down which is respectable, but half what they say you should get.

The real problem is the upstream bandwidth: 1mb/s is what they claim but I just saw 420kbit upstream at 11:30 PM: well after prime time.

I occasionally work from home and having a quick pipe to snag files is reasonably important. The problem comes

when it's time to send back 500mb-1gb files back. with 1mbit upstream I should be able to send files from home, commute to work (1 hour) and they should be finishing up by the time I sit at my desk with a coffee.

The reality of the situation is that I ship stuff up the night before or I just don't work on them until the afternoon because I'll be lucky to be see 100kbit from 8am until around 11am.

If I could actually see 100mbit down / 5mbit upstream I'd pay the $250 without a second thought. I'd probably split the cost with my neighbor and share the connection over wifi. My connection is already $100/month so splitting it with my neighbor would only bump my bill up $25 but I'd have twice the speed full time, and 4x more speed on the few occasions I actually need it. I'm willing to bet that the service won't be any quicker than what I'm already paying for (which itself operates at roughly the same speeds as the tier below mine is sold at).

I'm in Saskatoon where this is offered and I'm on Extreme-I which is 15/1mbit for $37cnd ($35usd?), and it works pretty good. I get about 10-15mbit regularly.

It would be interested to see what the speeds actually are, since this is on DOCSIS3. The regular Shaw internet is still on DOCSIS 1.1 afaik. Perhaps with the new spec, and new hardware, the speeds are more reliable, though at that speed, the rest of the internet would be the limiting factor.

I'm in Saskatoon where this is offered and I'm on Extreme-I which is 15/1mbit for $37cnd ($35usd?), and it works pretty good. I get about 10-15mbit regularly.

It would be interested to see what the speeds actually are, since this is on DOCSIS3. The regular Shaw internet is still on DOCSIS 1.1 afaik. Perhaps with the new spec, and new hardware, the speeds are more reliable, though at that speed, the rest of the internet would be the limiting factor.

uhh isn't Extreme-I 10mbit or is this one of the perks of new hardware?

a more symetric service would be superior. a 50/50 service opens a lot of possibilities for doing more with your home connection...like running game servers. a community i help to run currently shells out over ?400/month or renting dedicated boxes and each maybe runs at like 20mbit upload max. of course it runs into terabytes of transfer.

still hopefully in a few years we'll be getting fast enough services with enough transfer to the home to make this sort of thing cheaper overall.

To be honest, paying $250 a month I would expect nothing less than unlimited bandwidth.

think you'd find such a company going bust quite quickly trying to offer unlimited bandwidth to customers all pimping along @ 100mbit.

the cost of infrastructure along would make your $250/month totally unsustainable. try getting an unmetered connection @ 100mbit in a data centre and see how much it'll cost a month

I'm on their 10mbit and it's pretty much as-advertised (I do speed tests randomly).

One thing I've noticed is that shaw doesn't actually enforce their usage caps all that strictly, you can go over and they won't give a **** (no reduced service either!)

Canadian internet prices are abominable though, Shaw is the cheapest one I could find for this level of service.

This is true. When Shaw's limit for my internet was about 10 GB, I was hitting 100 GB a month. All I got was a phone call. Kept doing it, nothing happened.

Sorry, but when I had a uncapped 24Mbit connection with Be*, I was doing 500GB+ easily, how exactly? Maybe a few torrents here and there, but if you're a real pirate king, Usenet is where it's at. Usenet is an old service, but it's getting more and more popular every year.

Actually Shaw is pretty flexible with there download caps. I regularly exceed mine by at least 30gigs

and have only had the now, now, slow down buttercup email once.This is on there regular high speed plan.

200GB cap is **** all. I would do that in a day.

Boo Shaw.

100mb down 5mb up

Absolutely pathetic.

Double boo Shaw.

Yeah and I wouldn't be taking it for granted either.

A bandwidth cap could be coming to an ISP near you very soon.

Remember that. ;)

I dont understand what you all download in order to use up 200GB in a month? Im on a 40gb download cap and dont use half of it and i feel i download a LOT.

Well Rich, let's be honest here - if you had a 100 meg down connection. You could download movies within only a FEW mins. So the faster you can get things done, the more you want to download, because hey it doesn't take an hour anymore.

While I'm on satellite internet and a FAP is REQUIRED in order to even have a connection - my limit is 12GB on a rolling 30 day. I just got this Jan 27 and I'm already at 8GB, and that was only downloading a few games, program updates, etc. I could just imagine having a 100 meg down (with no lag!), I would go hog wild and pig crazy.

It really doesn't make sense WHY a wired ISP needs a cap - but it's getting more common every day. :-\

Edited by micwa

You people annoy the **** out of me. You should be greatful. The best connection in Australia is 20mbps download and 1000kbps upload with 60gb a month download. Every single plan has a 64kbps cap so back to ****in dial up speed :no: :no: . Even that plan is $150 a month. I would kill for a connection that quick. Yea 200gb really isn't much at all ****in ******s. :angry: :angry: :angry:

You people annoy the * out of me. You should be greatful. The best connection in Australia is 20mbps download and 1000kbps upload with 60gb a month download. Every single plan has a 64kbps cap so back to * dial up speed :no: :no: . Even that plan is $150 a month. I would kill for a connection that quick. Yea 200gb really isn't much at all *. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Welcome to Neowin buddy. :yes: