Your Longhorn Impressions

for those of u that have tried longhorn, what do u think? i know it is still in alpha and it has a long way to go and a lot will change, ect... but based on what is there now, what do u think of it? personally i don't like any of the new features at all. i don't like the sidebar, the new folder veiws, and plex is just sooo ugly. there is not much new there that i would prefer to just do without. i have yet to try m5 so i dunno what other changes they made to that

my wishlist: the 3 obvious things; better preformance, stability, and security. also much better theme support. i would love to see themes include shellstyle, shell32.dll, all folders, msgina.dll, ect... all those things that msstyles doesn't do and u have to hack urself

whatever "impressions" you might have about LH now are completely irrelevant to what the final product will be like.. Plex will be long and forgotten (people who refer to XP's theme as 'Luna' know what i mean..), the UI will completely change as MS shifts towards XML and hardware accelerated GUI (not to mention complete sidebar implementation, not just the desktop), as well as the stability and security you mention.. i have very high hopes for the Windows File System (WFS), which will surely tackle any stability issues modern Windows has now (not to mention getting rid of DLL-hell altogether which is probably the greatest single problem plaguing Windows since the beginning..)

so yea... :blink: it will be a thrill to see what awaits MS and Longhorn in the future.. as far as LH is concerned, i cant say anything certain as of now.. Plex is nice, sidebar is simple but useful -- effective yet buggy --, and stability and security issues remain flawed.. its all very blurry to tell.. we'll just have to wait and see..

sttroopers Posted on Apr 20 2003, 14:52

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry. I don't do impressions. HAHAHAAHAHA..... Oooooooo..... LOL......

....sorry.? 

My impressions. Stand in middle or room and then;

Slows down

Shakes

Stops moving

Then runs around waving hands in air and collapses in a BSOD and curls up in a tense ball

Falls over with a reboot with error message on head

:DD

Edited by Davey

sttroopers Posted on Apr 20 2003, 14:52

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry. I don't do impressions. HAHAHAAHAHA..... Oooooooo..... LOL......

....sorry.? 

My impressions. Stand in middle or room and then;

Slows down

Shakes

Stops moving

Then runs around waving hands in air and collapses in a BSOD

Falls over with a reboot with error message on head

:DD

how do you do your BSOD? im baffled...:huh::

nice improv, tho.. one would confuse it with WinME on first sight tho..:DD

Okay, you want Longhorn to be faster, more stable, and more secure... ISN'T THAT WHAT EVERYONE would WANT in product that is STILL IN DEVELOPMENT.

:frustrating:

blah blah blah, everyone can give the impressions, but nobody cares... in the end its all the same synopsis 1) its ugly 2) faster faster faster 3) security 4) stability, give me a break, its an ALPHA.

If your really concerned about this product, mail Microsoft with a 124$ check, and tell them you are using Longhorn as a final product, then make the impressions.

memNOC Posted on Apr 20 2003, 15:45

how do you do your BSOD? im baffled... 

nice improv, tho.. one would confuse it with WinME on first sight tho.. 

LOLOL

Added to the BSOD that i crawl up in a tense ball. Then fall over in a error message.

Anyway, i think i need a cig now.

lh is VERY unstable. really feels like win me :p and the sidebar is useless and only takes space imo. besides, mac os x doesnt have a sidebar, so my windows won't too :ninja:

Question, I have LH but haven't bothered to install it yet, Does it fix the problem that exists in WindowsXP and most earlier versions of windows badly handling folders full of JPG's, especially jp's with long names?

If you want to crash any XP's explorer.exe all you need do is name a jpg something long and when it goes to preview it boom, explorer will freeze and restart in most cases.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey....what is up with http://www.windowslonghorn.com its the oddest site i have ever seen. It's a bunch of clouds and it says "suppose...". That's very odd. I wonder who created the site.

don't know if i can give this but it's publically available anyways

WHOIS Record for

windowslonghorn.com Back-order this name

Registrant:

Woo,Jackie (WINDOWSLONGHORN-DOM)

1436 1/2 13th Ave

Eugene, OR 97401

US

Domain Name: WINDOWSLONGHORN.COM

Administrative Contact:

Woo, Jackie (JW28444) woomisong@yahoo.com

Woo,Jackie

1436 1/2 13th Ave

Eugene, OR 97401

US

(541)447-0054 123 123 1234

Technical Contact:

VeriSign, Inc. (HOST-ORG) namehost@WORLDNIC.NET

VeriSign, Inc.

21355 Ridgetop Circle

Dulles, VA 20166

US

1-888-642-9675

Record expires on 15-Jun-2003.

Record created on 15-Jun-2001.

Database last updated on 15-May-2003 21:16:44 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS5.ZONEEDIT.COM 65.125.228.92

NS7.ZONEEDIT.COM 207.228.252.107

My impression is :

"It's very much an Alpha and a work in progress, it shows promise but I don't want to really start judging Longhotn until Beta 1." :happy: