The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)

I just saw it, and I want to let it linger for a while before I make up my mind, but I thought it was a wonderful film. Certainly a much more worthy winner than Slumdog.

p/s: surprised there wasn't a thread on this.

• 2 weeks later...

This movie was robbed at the Oscars. All Slumdog Millionaire is is the little independent, rags to riches, feel good movie that for some reason people go crazy over. SM was a good movie, just not Best Picture worthy at all.

Didn't like this film at all. Tried to stretch what is essentially an anecdote into a 3 hour 'epic' but it ended up feeling bloated and boring.

It's one of those films always released near to the Oscars that pleads with you 'give me an award. please, pleease, give me an award'.

This movie was robbed at the Oscars. All Slumdog Millionaire is is the little independent, rags to riches, feel good movie that for some reason people go crazy over. SM was a good movie, just not Best Picture worthy at all.

+1 i heard the movie sucked anyways.

brad pitt is a great actor.... fight club was his best work IMO!

It was alright, but it could have been shorter. It felt like some of the scenes could have been cut (esspecially for a movie that ran as long as it did).

• 4 weeks later...

As awesome and moody, you have to be blind to deny its similarities with Forest Gump. There was a nice video on youtube somewhere comparing both. Even screenwriter was the same. But as I said - that doesnt change the fact that Benjamin Button was an awesome flick - the atmosphere, mood, it just sucks you in its perfectly designed world. That usualy doesnt happen, but the very ending almost made a tear run down my cheek, with those flashback scenes "some people are meant to.. .bla bla bla" accompanied by that slow edit of Bethena. Although I wont deny that in some aspects it could have been better - still a beautiful movie. And to those ppl saying it was too long - one word (abbreviation rather) - ADD.

• 2 weeks later...
Tried to stretch what is essentially an anecdote into a 3 hour 'epic' but it ended up feeling bloated and boring.

It's one of those films always released near to the Oscars that pleads with you 'give me an award. please, pleease, give me an award'.

I agree...

I felt it was one of those movies that was too long, not to accomodate the content, but rather stretched out, to give it that "epic" feel. The pace was also a tad slow.

Overall I think it was a good movie. 7.5/10.

Btw, this movie has nothing on Forrest Gump!

I enjoyed it, but thought it went about 30 minutes to long. My wife loved and was disappointed when it finished!

7/10 for me.

There were two things I had heard about this movie before watching it. That it was very long, which I welcomed, and that it was a copy of Forrest Gump, which I did not welcome. The film ended up surprising me on both fronts.

On the plus side, I found no similarity to Forrest Gump. In no way did I feel that I have already seen what I was watching. For anyone to dismiss this movie because they have watched Forrest Gump, is like skipping a superhero movie because you've watched another superhero movie.

On the downside, the movie was too long. And I'm a person who loves long movies and long seatings in general. I mean, I watched all 6 Star Wars films in one day and all 5 Harry Potter films in one day. But this movie just didn't have enough script to be that long.

Good movie overall.

I saw this over the Christmas holidays, it was an amazingly good movie... I was very impressed, slightly too long (based on my own opinion... point of reference American Gangster was insanely too long)... still was a very moving, and visually wonderful movie.

I was fully captured by this film. Very moody and has a lot of meaning to each character, I loved how everyone had their own unique sense and style to them everyone was different.

The time length I thought was well set for this film not too long and not too short. Got all the points across which the film was about and delivered it to a high standard.

There could have been a few changes they could have made to make it a little better but all in all amazing job :D

Very impressed with this 9/10.

• 3 weeks later...

Button's BluRay has to be one of the best quality-wise. I mean, my jaw dropped...

http://www.imagebam.com/image/3680f534376960/

http://www.imagebam.com/image/befa6834376965/

http://www.imagebam.com/image/f1829334376953/

http://www.imagebam.com/image/6aa51834376950/

http://www.imagebam.com/image/2ce5c734376946/

http://www.imagebam.com/image/01e13134376943/

http://www.imagebam.com/image/83426634376947/

I mean, it has a quality of still photos. No grain, no nothing, sharp as razors edge. Even though they have a bit of that digital feel, aint Thomson VIPER Cameras amazing?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

At the end of the movie where Cate Blanchett bangs Brad Pitt one last time, wasn't he like 14? So He's like 85 years old going on 14, would it still considered molesting?

Most of the scenes in the movie didn't have anything to do with the premise of the film, they could have been in any film. We should be able to see the moral messages in those scenes, but they were lacking, and instead, the parts that did have to did have to do with the premise made up for that---they were over-narrated and spelled everything out. We're told directly what the morals were supposed to be. The parts that were supposed to feel magical, like with the hummingbird, didn't work at all.

It was entertaining enough to sit through, and had some good characters, but thematically it was a big mess.

The best part of the movie was the part where Pitt and Blanchett's characters were in bed together----just because of the feeling of the scene and what it was able to convey. It felt as if for their entire lives they were both travelers in a storm trying to meet each other, and during that scene the storm had temporarily stopped, and they met, and everything for a few moments was perfect for them.

The movie would have been fantastic if the narrative of the stupid dyiing woman whispering rubbish to her middle aged daughter was removed. It completely ruined the movie with their awful acting.

• 7 months later...

I just got round to watching it. It was certainly long, but I thought it was very well paced. I expected him to die when he was physically between ages 15-20 due to complications (his body not being able to shrink etc.). I'm surprised he went back to being a baby; that confused me but then again you are watching a film about someone who ages backwards, so you can't expect it to be realistic.

I give it 8/10.

I just got round to watching it. It was certainly long, but I thought it was very well paced. I expected him to die when he was physically between ages 15-20 due to complications (his body not being able to shrink etc.). I'm surprised he went back to being a baby; that confused me but then again you are watching a film about someone who ages backwards, so you can't expect it to be realistic.

I give it 8/10.

Well, technically I expected him to become a foetus - but O So My Disappointment !! :D