Anyone repurchase movies on Blu-ray?

Does anyone here buy movies on BD that they already have on DVD? I was just curious because I only know a few people that have a Blu-ray player and none of them double-dip on movies that they already bought on DVD.

The only time I repurchased a movie on Blu-ray was to replace a DVD movie that I had lost.

errrrmmm I may hvae just bought 4! :rolleyes: (they were in a sale though guvnor, 'onest!!)

It really depends on the movie - if it's a little arthouse type film then I don't tend to re-buy, it's mainly for big blockbusters or something that's really stylised.

Todays purchases were:

Robocop

I, Robot

From Hell

Escape From New York

(fingers crossed they'll all be decent transfers!)

the only one i would have doubled up on was the Blu-Ray of Godfather trilogy

but i had to get rid of the Criterion DVD set a long time ago, so i didn't double up in it

I havent yet... but I would if the price was right and I really liked the movie. I know I will be buying the LOTR/Star Wars movies if/when they are released on blu-ray

I'm actively replacing my DVD collection with Blu-rays. I waited until the format wars were over to start buying my movies in HD. Image quality and the ability to have multiple versions of the same film on one disc is awesome.

A few:

Die Hard Trilogy (imported from Australia, Die Hard 3 not available in europe :()

2001: A Space Odyssey

Spiderman 1 + 2

The Dark Knight

I now buy Blu Rays exclusively, only TV shows get a look in on DVD, except if its on Blu Ray.

Nope, not yet, cannot justify the price atm. Will wait till they become mainstream and drop price.

tho I did recently bought Dark Knight and Wall*E. I love the Bunny short with the magician lol

I havent yet... but I would if the price was right and I really liked the movie. I know I will be buying the LOTR/Star Wars movies if/when they are released on blu-ray

The Lord of the Rings DVDs are now out of print, which means they're probably going to be re-released along with Blu-ray sometime this year. It's funny though. When most movies become out of print, the prices sell for sky high prices on Ebay. Just check out "The Wizard of Oz." But this is not the case with LOTR. It's weird. I guess not many people like the movies anymore.

I wonder when we will see LOTR on Blu-Ray... A movie of this magnitude should have been put on HD a long time ago....

I've replaced a couple of my DVD with Blu... And I'll keep on doing this, just waiting for the price to go down.

I'll be re-buying the LotR movies when they come out on Blu-ray--provided they're the extended versions and not the theatrical ones.

I'll be buying the player at the same time, as I don't have one right now and have no desire whatsoever to get into the whole Blu-ray thing until LotR is available.

And I'll keep on doing this, just waiting for the price to go down.

It's funny. Many people here claim Blu-ray is cheap and if you look hard, you can find a BD movie for less than $20.

But my main problem isn't with the price of movies as I've seen some sales here and there. My problem is getting a player. The Sony BDP-S350 is $300. Sheesh!!!

It's funny. Many people here claim Blu-ray is cheap and if you look hard, you can find a BD movie for less than $20.

But my main problem isn't with the price of movies as I've seen some sales here and there. My problem is getting a player. The Sony BDP-S350 is $300. Sheesh!!!

I've got my PS3 as a Blu-Ray player. I've also seen $15 Blu-Ray movies, but most of them I would not buy (you know, bad movies...!).

Good new release movies are still $34 here, around $10 over the price of the same movie on DVD.

Does anyone here buy movies on BD that they already have on DVD? I was just curious because I only know a few people that have a Blu-ray player and none of them double-dip on movies that they already bought on DVD.

I buy some of them I know are 5/5 PQ and AQ. Most unfortunately are just slightly better then DVD in that dept..Then again there's a price. I personally do make a good living but paying 2-3 times price over DVD in some cases is really way too much.

I'll show you an example of some movies I wanted to buy or have bought and a huge price difference and this was from Amazon, I cringe when I go to Best Buy and Walmart these days as some of the movies I wanted are even more expensive there.

Lara Croft - Tomb Raider (Special Collector's Edition) DVD = $5.49

Lara Croft - Tomb Raider [blu-ray] = $16.99

You can buy both Tomb Raider movies for one BD:

Lara Croft - Tomb Raider / Lara Croft - Tomb Raider, The Cradle of Life bundle DVD = $12.49

Batman Begins (Widescreen Edition) DVD = $9.99

Batman Begins [blu-ray] = $17.99

Batman Begins (Two-Disc Special Edition) - $19.99

Batman Begins (Limited Edition) [blu-ray] - $32.99

Horton Hears a Who (Widescreen and Full-Screen Single-Disc Edition) - $14.99

Horton Hears a Who! [blu-ray] - $24.99

Firefly - The Complete Series DVD = $21.99

Firefly: The Complete Series [blu-ray] = $57.99

Serenity (Widescreen Edition) DVD = $9.49

Serenity [blu-ray] = $19.99

Boondock Saints (Unrated Special Edition) DVD = $10.99

The Boondock Saints [blu-ray] = $23.99

Pride and Glory (Widescreen) DVD = $16.99

Pride and Glory [blu-ray] = $24.99

Napoleon Dynamite (Widescreen DVD) = $7.99

Napoleon Dynamite [blu-ray] = $22.99

Office Space - Special Edition with Flair (Widescreen Edition) DVD = $10.99

Office Space - (Widescreen Edition) DVD = $2.49-$4

Office Space [blu-ray] = $22.99

Independence Day (Widescreen Edition) DVD = $14.98

Independence Day [blu-ray] = $25.99

Hitman (Unrated Edition) DVD = $10.99

Hitman [blu-ray] = $22.99

Band of Brothers (Full boxset) DVD = $42.49

Band of Brothers (Blu-ray) = $53.99

Incredible Hulk (Widescreen Edition) DVD = $15.99 - $8 difference on a fairly new title

Incredible Hulk [blu-ray] = $23.99

The Dark Knight (Widescreen) DVD = $14.99 - $9 difference

The Dark Knight [blu-ray] = $23.99

The Dark Knight (Special Edition) DVD - $18.99

The Dark Knight: Limited Edition Blu-ray - $47.99

The Dark Knight Limited Collectors Blu-Ray + Joker mask = $69.98

and the list goes on..

They really need to lower the prices on catalog titles.. $2-$3 premium is fine.. but going sometimes 2-3 times is really too much to muster. at least for me.

Another thing is also the fact that I really have no need to upgrade some comedies and stuff like that to HD. I don't really see the benefit nor do I see a huge difference if I listen to conversations in DTS-MA or TrueHD.

Some movies though I did upgrade though like Natural Born Killers and brilliant transfers of Encounters of 3rd kind etc. I would also upgrade War of the Worlds and Steven Spielberg movies if they came out but they are not out yet.

Edited by Boz

You should just pick up Samsung BD-1500. They are (if you bargin) below $200 and are among the most complete BD players around. BD-Live, DTS-MA decoding and audio bitstreaming passthrough + network. I have 2 and have had very few problems. The only one i had was with Pineapple Express that went away when I upgraded firmware. The PQ and AQ through it is also very very nice. Even better then PS3. I got both of mine for $180 at Best Buy. They are $249 MSRP but you can negotiate and complain that the price is $180 pretty much everywhere you looked. They'll usually price match it.

You should just pick up Samsung BD-1500. They are (if you bargin) below $200 and are among the most complete BD players around. BD-Live, DTS-MA decoding and audio bitstreaming passthrough + network. I have 2 and have had very few problems. The only one i had was with Pineapple Express that went away when I upgraded firmware. The PQ and AQ through it is also very very nice. Even better then PS3. I got both of mine for $180 at Best Buy. They are $249 MSRP but you can negotiate and complain that the price is $180 pretty much everywhere you looked. They'll usually price match it.

I heard the Samsung players have problems playing some BDs.

I heard the Samsung players have problems playing some BDs.

As I noted. I have 2 and had very little problems. Movies with BD-Live or not, work just fine. If you do stumble upon a problem it's most likely you didn't update firmware. And the fact is this play has Ethernet so firmware update is really a non-issue. The units that have issue are most likely bad. So just go and replace.

• 5 months later...

Ok, a little friendly bump because I have a question related to this topic

For those of you that repurchase your movies on Blu-ray, what do you do with the DVD version? Sell it or keep it?

Ok, a little friendly bump because I have a question related to this topic

For those of you that repurchase your movies on Blu-ray, what do you do with the DVD version? Sell it or keep it?

Give it away to friends or family. If I had a huge bunch, maybe I'd try to ebay them but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

i had the HDDVD of Transformers when it first came out ( still have the 360 HDVD Drive and it works ) and a month or 2 ago i went and got the Blu-Ray version, gave the HDDVD version to my brother as his son loves Transformers and he didnt own it. thats the only one

I have repurchased various movies I had on VHS to DvD.

I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet, when I do, I will get my Guy Ritchie films, The Bank Job, Real Football Factory, Layer Cake etc on Blu-Ray.

Thats if they are available.