Anyone repurchase movies on Blu-ray?

Sadly, I have to say that some movies released in DVD and now "remastered" on Blu-Ray don't offer anything better. I've seen movie that look grainier in Blu-Ray than DVD and I can't see the "advantage" of FullHD. I'm not talking about first released Blu-Ray films with poor bitrate and mpeg2 compression.

Especially when you watch DVD on a good/excellent upscaling DVD player.... So I'm not inclined to RE-buy my current DVD on Blu-Ray. That being said, since I've got my PS3, I've never bought any DVD. I only get Blu-Ray.

I bought 'The Ultimate Matrix Collection' on Bluray. I already had the movies on DVD but I really wanted to see them in full high def so I was happy to pay the extra. In-fact I had to import a copy from a reseller in the US because the UK release of the boxset was delayed with no ETA. Totally worth it though and the Animatrix was included in full 1080P as-well. The HD-DVD version of this release only included it on a DVD and not high def so it was nice to get that extra.

Sadly, I have to say that some movies released in DVD and now "remastered" on Blu-Ray don't offer anything better. I've seen movie that look grainier in Blu-Ray than DVD and I can't see the "advantage" of FullHD. I'm not talking about first released Blu-Ray films with poor bitrate and mpeg2 compression.

Especially when you watch DVD on a good/excellent upscaling DVD player.... So I'm not inclined to RE-buy my current DVD on Blu-Ray. That being said, since I've got my PS3, I've never bought any DVD. I only get Blu-Ray.

Interesting. I originally bought "Weeds" Seasons 1-3 on DVD. I sold them and now I bought Seasons 1 and 2 on Blu-ray. Still working on getting Seasons 3 and 4 right now. But the upgrade was HUGE. This was my first time I bought a BD that already owned on DVD and I really saw the difference. While Season 1 was quite grainy at times, it still was a huge step up over the DVD version. The DVD version was soft and fuzzy. While the Blu-ray version was grainy, it was much sharper. Personally, I'd rather have a grainy picture than a non-grainy one that was DNRed to death.

In order to really see the benefit Blu-ray has over DVD, it's good to repurchase a couple of movies you originally had on DVD. You really see the difference there.

In order to really see the benefit Blu-ray has over DVD, it's good to repurchase a couple of movies you originally had on DVD. You really see the difference there.

I rent some Blu-Ray movies that I have on DVD. So yeah, I can see the difference. On some, it's huge, on other, it's pointless.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been surprised by how well the PS3 upconverts so I'll probably wait for the next format for any large scale migration. I primarily notice the sound fidelity over the video. The extra butter doesn't quite justify the $30 price tag though on most movies.

I don't have a Blu-ray play yet, only an upconverting DVD player. I think the picture is really good on the upconversion so replacing ones I already have for the most part, won't happen.

There are few I may, although I will research into it beforehand to see if the transfer is better, and if it's worth while, before I buy em.

Those are:

Night Watch

Day Watch

Firefly series (maybe)

Serenity

Ultraviolet

Fifth Element

Robin Hood... but only because I have the original dvd release from 1997, that you have to flip the disk midway through and the transfer isn't that great, and the Blu-Ray is a special extended edition... sooo it's one of those instances that are actually worthwhile.

Other than that, I almost have 600 dvds so theres no way I am going to replace em all!

The only repurchases I've made are Weeds Seasons 1-3. That's because Weeds Season 1 on DVD is cropped to full screen. So, when I repurchased Season 1, I decided to go the whole nine yards and repurchase the remaining seasons since they're cheap.

Another movie I plan on repurchasing is Home Alone 2, which comes out Oct. 6th. That's because the DVD is non-anamorphic widescreen. Yuck!

Those are the only repurchases I've made or plan to make.

Yep. I didn't have a Blu-ray player when it came out and I wanted to watch it so I just bought it twice. I like how Disney releases their Blu-ray, they have a Blu-ray, DVD and digital copy in one case.

The only film I have both DVD and BR is Final Fantasy:Advent Children , but the BR had more features and I recently (6 months)bought a HD TV :p

• 3 weeks later...

Only a few, since the PS3 does upscale well. Grabbed The Godfather remaster, Goodfellas, Troy (had bonus content), and may yet still get Donnie Brasco, Blade Trilogy, Dark Crystal, and a few others. Will wait to double-dip on LotR until the extended editions come out.

I did semi-double dip and get Shawshank Redemption and The Matrix, which I previously only had on VHS.

Star Trek

Transformers 2

Tropic Thunder

Fast and Furious (no longer)

The topic asked for repurchase.. meaning you already own it, and will buy the upgrade copy.

I did:

Kill Bill v1

Gone in 60 seconds

Troy

• 2 weeks later...

I just repurchased Pearl Harbor on Blu-ray.

The next movies on my list will be:

Independence day: Which i own on both VHS and DVD

Gladiator

The Patriot

Blackhawk down

• 1 month later...

I'm avoiding it, but just having bought a new LCD TV that's 1080p 240Hz (compared to my old TV that's 720p)... now I notice all the differences between blu-ray and dvd quality. It's actually really annoying because now it's super obvious. I almost prefer my old TV, ignorance is bliss.

I'm avoiding it, but just having bought a new LCD TV that's 1080p 240Hz (compared to my old TV that's 720p)... now I notice all the differences between blu-ray and dvd quality. It's actually really annoying because now it's super obvious. I almost prefer my old TV, ignorance is bliss.

Now you have to repurchase you favorite movies!