50mm f/1.4G vs. 35mm f/1.8

So I just read about Nikon's new lens, the Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 AF-S DX and this is big news for me since I'm a D40x owner. I've been looking for a good low light lens and just a prime in general. I'm debating whether or not the 35mm or the 50mm f/1.4G AF-S would be a better choice for me. I'm leaning to the 35mm because its $200 compared to the 50mm at $500 - $600. Should I save up for the 50mm because of the f/1.4 or is the f/1.8 of the 35mm going to be sufficient? Basically it would be my everyday lens, shooting from people to landscapes.

35mm, good for portraits on crop format. And 1.8 should be enough. For landscapes you might want to get something more wider: Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 or Nikon 12-24 f/4. Tokina however won't autofocus on D40, but manual focus on ultra wide is pretty easy.

35mm, good for portraits on crop format. And 1.8 should be enough. For landscapes you might want to get something more wider: Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 or Nikon 12-24 f/4. Tokina however won't autofocus on D40, but manual focus on ultra wide is pretty easy.

I'd say 50mm is best for portraits on a crop. 85mm for outdoors.

For everyday though, 35mm.

$600 for the f1.4? I thought it was maxing out at around $400?

*edit*

Wow, it's going for $900+ new and $550+ used on amazon.com...

Yea, the 35mm f1.8 will work just fine for you.

Probably cheaper to produce, and since most of their sales for the foreseeable future are going to come from the lower end of the market, it's not that much of a problem. Not many people shooting DX now are going to upgrade to FX with the prices as they are now... Especially in the UK, with so many price increases...

I still don't understand why Nikon made it a DX lens. :/

Probably because there's a lot of DX shooters out there still. The 35mm f/2 is a highly praised lens, i'm sure the same people love that focal length on DX as well.

They made it a DX lens, so they could keep the price point down and still include AF-S.

I was really excited about this lens, but after evaluating it some more, I think I'm going to stick to buying non-DX lenses if I can help it. I know that someday I'll want to upgrade to something like a D700 and would rather just get lenses I can use with that now, instead of having to rebuy everything later. I think it's more expensive in the short run but will save a lot in the long run, plus you end up with better glass.

That said, I'll probably get a 50mm 1.8 rather than this one, even if the focal distance is not the same thing, it's still a better deal I think.

They made it a DX lens, so they could keep the price point down and still include AF-S.

I was really excited about this lens, but after evaluating it some more, I think I'm going to stick to buying non-DX lenses if I can help it. I know that someday I'll want to upgrade to something like a D700 and would rather just get lenses I can use with that now, instead of having to rebuy everything later. I think it's more expensive in the short run but will save a lot in the long run, plus you end up with better glass.

That said, I'll probably get a 50mm 1.8 rather than this one, even if the focal distance is not the same thing, it's still a better deal I think.

I've been thinking the same thing, probably gonna sell my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. My next body will most likely be FX, but the DX 35mm is so inexpensive that even when I upgrade, i'll just shove it on the D50 and use that like a glorified P&S.

For the folks on D40, D60s this is pretty much their 50mm, since the new AFS 50mm G is insanely expensive compared to the AF version and hard to find...

Yeah, I know. I have a D40. I'm trying to sell it, if I keep it I may get one of these for it.