[Football] Summer 2009 transfer thread

For pompey that is yeah!

Niko contract was to run out at the end of the season, so really it's either we reject money and face loosing him once his contract ends.

Is ?2.5 million worth the cost of relegation;))?

big rumour going round Bentley to Liverpool from Spurs!

What did we offer good old 'Arry? Five magic beans?

Is ?2.5 million worth the cost of relegation;)) ?

Well you may say that but for me Niko hasn't been good for us this season, if anything pretty useless. ?Sometimes he just doesn't work hard enough, doesn't track back enough, doesn't tackle enough. ?If anything he is a luxury item that we don't need, on his day he can be creative and get the passes going, but he doesn't do that enough, even more so in the league! He said he wasn't going to extend his contract when it ran out. ?To be honest I'm happy that we got money for him. ?It's one less on the wage bill (might as well use his wages for David James and the new players).

Pompey fans are cut in half over him, some like him, some don't. ?You can guess what camp I'm in!

In my view Hughes and Brown were better against Man City then Niko!

If you think selling Niko is going to cost us a place in the league than your wrong!. ?If anything the likes of Crouch, Defoe, Distinhas cost us more.

Well you may say that but for me Niko hasn't been good for us this season, if anything pretty useless. ?Sometimes he just doesn't work hard enough, doesn't track back enough, doesn't tackle enough. ?If anything he is a luxury item that we don't need, on his day he can be creative and get the passes going, but he doesn't do that enough, even more so in the league! He said he wasn't going to extend his contract when it ran out. ?To be honest I'm happy that we got money for him. ?It's one less on the wage bill (might as well use his wages for David James and the new players).

Pompey fans are cut in half over him, some like him, some don't. ?You can guess what camp I'm in!

In my view Hughes and Brown were better against Man City then Niko!

If you think selling Niko is going to cost us a place in the league than your wrong!. ?If anything the likes of Crouch, Defoe, Distinhas cost us more.

My point was largely that you are losing too many players. Crouch, Defoe, Johnson, Distin, Kranjcar, Campbell are all big losses for you really, and it will probably cost you.

Gerrard (and most of the Liverpool squad) haven't exactly been on top form this season either, but class is permanant etc etc.

Well next time try and make your point more clearer! Yeah they are big losses, so were Diara and Muntari, even Mendes!

Yes class is permanent, question is Niko really that classy?

Even when Harry was Manager Niko was saying he hopes to be playing a club nearer to the top. But if a player isn't going to play for you then whats the point of keeping him? If he's not giving it all then he is nothing and therefore useless.

You must remember, one player does not cost you relegation, it's club management and player mentality which does it.

As for club management, while we did get the likes of Defoe, Crouch, Johnson, Gaydamak didn't really have the money to fund it. As it is he is a petty man, its alleged that one of the investors behind Storrie was suing Gaydamak father, which was a sticking point behind the sale to Storrie lot. He was willing to put the club into administration rather than flog it.

To me, Pompey appear to be going the same way as Newcastle. They need to do some work on their squad if they are going to have any chance at all of staying up

Well next time try and make your point more clearer! Yeah they are big losses, so were Diara and Muntari, even Mendes!

Yes class is permanent, question is Niko really that classy?

Even when Harry was Manager Niko was saying he hopes to be playing a club nearer to the top. But if a player isn't going to play for you then whats the point of keeping him? If he's not giving it all then he is nothing and therefore useless.

You must remember, one player does not cost you relegation, it's club management and player mentality which does it.

As for club management, while we did get the likes of Defoe, Crouch, Johnson, Gaydamak didn't really have the money to fund it. As it is he is a petty man, its alleged that one of the investors behind Storrie was suing Gaydamak father, which was a sticking point behind the sale to Storrie lot. He was willing to put the club into administration rather than flog it.

Kranjcar is a good player, but I think you were right when you commented that he is a luxury. Like when we had Garcia, and now Benayoun who is our 'luxury'. A team can afford to carry one such player in my opinion.

I just hope you don't get relegated, because I don't mind Portsmouth.

If we're to carry a player, I'd think most people would rather carry David James. We've jiggled are wage structure about, so if anything James is no doubt our top earner!

English Premier League clubs have spent about ?450m in the summer transfer window - down from last summer's ?500m record, a report says.

While the level of purchases from other top flight clubs remained the same, there had been a 40% fall in transfers from overseas clubs, Deloitte said.

Sterling's weakness and a 50% tax rate may have been factors, making it more costly to lure overseas stars, it said.

Manchester City's ?120m summer splurge made up 27% of overall spending.

Meanwhile, Aston Villa, Liverpool, Sunderland and Tottenham Hotspur have all reportedly spent more than ?25m each.

Capital driven

The fall in spending, given the economic climate, was "expected", said Paul Rawnsley, director in the sports business group at Deloitte.

He added that the sale of the next round of international media rights sales was likely to generate higher revenue for Premier League clubs.

But Mr Rawnsley said that "without further significant capital injections from owners, transfer spending is unlikely to exceed the record level achieved in 2008".

Premier League clubs have spent ?215m on players from other English top flight teams - the same as the record level seen in 2008.

However transfer fees paid to overseas clubs totalled ?155m - down by ?95m from last summer.

Salary handicap

Earlier this year, Deloitte said that Premier league clubs may face higher wage demands from European players due to sterling's weakness and the new 50% tax rate.

Offers to transfer targets and existing players may need to be raised to match the take-home wages offered by European rivals, Deloitte added.

It said giving a European player a net annual salary of 3m euros (?2.6m) would cost an English club 6.8m euros.

But a Spanish club needs only pay 4m euros to deliver the same net salary.

The UK figure is also higher than clubs in France (6.7m euros), Italy (5.7m euros) and Germany (5.4m euros) would have to pay, according to the Deloitte calculations.

Source: BBC

Fifa have banned Chelsea from registering any new players in the next two transfer windows.

The world's governing body have handed down the punishment after French clubs Lens made an official complaint over Chelsea's signing of their young player Gael Kakuta in 2007.

Fifa's Dispute Resolution Chamber (DRC) has now found in Lens' favour and ruled that the Blues are 'jointly and severally liable'.

As such, the Stamford Bridge club have been banned from signing players over the next two transfer windows, which means they will not be able to bring in any new faces until 2011.

18-year-old Kakuta, a regular in Chelsea's reserve side, has also been banned from playing for the next four months and fined ?680,000.

Chelsea are also liable over Kakuta's fine, and they also will have to pay Lens ?113,000 in compensation.

A Fifa spokesperson stated: "This decision confirms our aim to ensure contractual stability. It is an important ruling for football in general."

Source