Win 7, 7057 as main OS?

Or dual boot. I've not logged into Vista for nearly a month. 7000 (and now 7057) has been quite the solid OS for me.

On dual boot you don't even have to waste a DVD, or bother to mount to virtual drive. Just open the download file, run Setup and install to the other partition which you've just wiped and reformatted with disk management.. You can even overwrite C: drive since boot manager is in the hidden 200mb repair partition, though you may have to chkdisk it later to sort out boot.ini. I have done all of them this way and now have 7000 back on C: in a fight to the death with e:7057. If 7057 drops my wifi one more time, e: gets wiped.

Edited by gregrocker

What Blackberry Desktop Manager did you install??

I had forgotten to put that back on yesterday and just ran through installing 4.7 like a minute ago and it went without a hitch..

Guess now I should test whether it will sync or not with my Curve hehe.

I tried 4.5 and 4.7. What I had to do was take ownership of certain files in the AppData\Local\Temp\WZSE0.TMP directories. Like .cab files and whatnot. Certain folders in that dir have little locks on them. Once it was completed Roxio (the media manager) wasnt installed. So I had to go back and take ownership of other folders and it finally works.

My fps issue with Counter Strike Source is more frustrating. Ran flawless with the Open Beta. With this 5075 *Ultimate* it runs like crap.

Don't install Win7 as your main and only OS unless you've tried it before and verified all your necessary software to be working under the beta OS. You will regret it quickly, and end up either having to reinstall your old OS or using a VM to run incompatible software(except for games). Install it as a dual-boot instead.

In fact, it's a good idea to have a triple-boot consisting of your old OS, a Win7 beta build you found to be the most stable(in my case, 7000) and the very latest leaked build(currently 7057). That way you can use the old OS to run legacy apps, and avoid any critical individual bugs of Win7 builds by using the build where they are not present.

build 7000 smokes vista with sp1 ive been running win7 since beta release as my main os

Agreed. Given the choice between Vista SP1 and Win7 7000 I chose the beta and haven't looked back.

What is the very latest build of Windows 7? I'm getting ready to wipe my hard drive and would like to install Windows 7 instead of Vista.

Build 7057. You can download it by torrent.

That's nothing, I find myself missing C64 Basic a little bit too much :rofl:

c64-startup201.gif

I still have two at home. I wonder if I can install Win 7 and I wonder if its got drivers for my 300 baud modem so I can report back here when Im done! :D

I went back to Vista Ultimate. There is no exciting features. Its basically Vista SE.

confused-8.gif

I'll never understand comments comments like these. 7 is quite different from Vista. Plenty of

new or updated features. The 7 UI is closer to Vista than Vista was to XP, but that's about it.

7 is blazing quick (quite a bit faster than Vista, SP1).

What is the very latest build of Windows 7? I'm getting ready to wipe my hard drive and would like to install Windows 7 instead of Vista.
I wouldn't get any torrents of anything just now. The RC will be out soon which will hopefully be more stable that 7057 has been for the vast majority of people (my laptop being one of them).

Wasn't RC confirmed by MS to be 7048 or something?

I'm really tempted to try out 7057, but i'm just going to wait for the final thing, or at least the RC.

I'll get to see how it compares to server 2008.

Looks like i'll have to buy W7 though, dreamspark doesn't give free vista licenses, so i doubt it will do so for w7 either.

I'm thinking of upgrading to 7057. Has anyone got any bad stories about going 7022 -> 7057?

Yes. Don't do it. There are known issues, and can generate alot of bugs between the code of different applications.

I highly reccomend a fresh install

confused-8.gif

I'll never understand comments comments like these. 7 is quite different from Vista. Plenty of

new or updated features. The 7 UI is closer to Vista than Vista was to XP, but that's about it.

7 is blazing quick (quite a bit faster than Vista, SP1).

Same here. People who spout nonsense like that ("Vista SE") can't have done more than just cast a cursory glance at Win7 :pinch:

Either that, or they're having a really bad trip on cheap crack or something :x

Do this go to http://abc.go.com/player/index?pn=index and launch the player it will not work with windows 7. Thats why i went back to vista.

All you had to do was change the compatibility settings for Firefox. Heck, once the plugin is installed, you can change it back to what it was. It doesn't check for what OS you use after it installs the plugin. Took all of a minute to do it all.

All you had to do was change the compatibility settings for Firefox. Heck, once the plugin is installed, you can change it back to what it was. It doesn't check for what OS you use after it installs the plugin. Took all of a minute to do it all.

Hell, try Hulu.

As for a few resource hacks to programs to work, I would liken the speed of 7057 to a converted version of Server 2008. When Server 08 was released I immediately made it into a workstation because of the speed improvement over Vista. Not that I had any problem with Vista once so ever, all of my hardware worked out of the box with my Dell D630, I just like having a computer that is lighting fast. Its nice to see that kind of speed on client side of Microsoft's products! So as far as I'm concired Windows 7 is a winner, unless something goes horribly wrong between now and RTM *knocks on wood* :D

Honestly, it's probably better that he went back to Vista. People that will switch back to their original OS after a single web-based tv viewer doesn't work right away shouldn't be involved with beta testing in the first place. :laugh:

I've been running 7057 for about a week now. I do a lot of video encoding and run my computer 24 hours a day, and haven't run into any major problems. I haven't had any need to boot back into Vista.

Do this go to http://abc.go.com/player/index?pn=index and launch the player it will not work with windows 7. Thats why i went back to vista.

You went back to Vista because of one web-app??

Pretty easy to work around. And it took around 15 seconds. I right clicked the Firefox exe, ran in compatibility

mode (Vista, SP1). ABC's Move Media Player plug-in installed without issue. Closed Firefox, went out of

compatibility mode, re-opened Firefox and....

post-167725-1237904348_thumb.jpg

Edited by UncleSpellbinder