Looking For Karaoke Program

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a good karaoke program that will play the .mpg files and also put the lyrics out on a monitor or screen. I have been asked to do karaoke, but right now all I do is DJ work, i was just wanting to know if there was any programs that anyone out there recommended.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, sorry I haven't found this thread sooner...

I am a mobile DJ, and a major part of what I do is karaoke hosting. I now work 100% from hard drive, disks never leave the house.

I personally (and most professional karaoke hosts agree) see MPG files as a lazy way of working - just a video... We use MP3+G (an MP3 of the music and a CDG file of the graphics). This is the industry norm.

Anyhow, that's a discussion for elsewhere...

You have a world of options open to you, from Winamp upwards... I used to (when just a hobbyist) host to about 150 people using Winamp alone...

* Filler music between "performances" is taken care of by Winamp by just being in the playlist

* Video window dragged and optimised on 2nd monitor

* Visualisations on desktop mode on 2nd monitor between "performances"

It worked just fine. But since going pro - I can recommend two apps...

* Compuhost:

Pretty much the industry choice - it takes care of everything from filler music, to rotation (queueing), active/inactive singers, on-screen messages, the whole lot.

* PCDJ:

I have seen people using a karaoke system with this - but to me it just seemed a bit much - too many unnecessary options. Keep it simple.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask :)