IE8 has its built-in Flash block: it's called Per-Site ActiveX Control

IE8 has its built-in Flash block, you don't need to install anything else to block the Flash ads, and you don't need IEPro:

IE8's Per-Site ActiveX Control capability:

Internet Explorer 8 allows greater control of where Microsoft ActiveX controls can run. Through the new Manage Add-ons dialog box these add-ons can be restricted for use on specific Web sites.

You can view or clear the list of websites that ActiveX controls are allowed to run:

Tools -> Manage add-ons -> click on Flash player add-on -> click on More informations link -> click on Remove all sites button. Now you're ready to allow on a per-site basis.

When a user navigates to a Web site containing an ActiveX control, the user is notified through an Information bar that the control wants to run. When users click this Information bar, a context menu is presented to them. Users can then elect to allow the control for a specific Web site, allow the control for all Web sites, disallow the control, or get more information about the prompt.

more info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd433050(VS.85).aspx

Edited by jamesVault

Tools -> Manage add-ons -> click on Flash player add-on -> click on More informations link -> click on Remove all sites button. Now you're ready to allow on a per-site basis.

very cool IE8's feature

Edited by franzon

• 3 months later...

Need some good foresight to use this feature, anything using Trident will be unable to render flash until you allow it within IE, problem being in some apps (games) it's hard to know what URL the game is pulling the flash from to allow.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump this old thread - but in IE9 RC it appears there is no option to 'disallow' the site on a permanent basis, as I get that annoying 'this site wants to run' info box at the bottom. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong >

Great find. I knew IE8 added per-site ActiveX but had no idea it had this UI after clicking "More" to configure on which sites and enable/disable for all sites. Thought only way to allow/allow on all sites was from the information bar.

Sorry to bump this old thread - but in IE9 RC it appears there is no option to 'disallow' the site on a permanent basis, as I get that annoying 'this site wants to run' info box at the bottom. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong >

there is, turn on activeX filtering. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/ie9-release-candidate-review-will-microsofts-big-browser-bet-pay-off/2954?pg=3

Never knew about this until now! Thanks!