Has anyone bought the new Nintendo DSi?

I havent got 1, but my friend bought one. I tried it out and compared to the ds the screens look much bigger. you can edit photos, and other than that i think its all the same.

I think the DSi is not that good, to be honest. Sure, there's bigger screens and more to do with it, but they took out the Game Boy Advance slot, so you can't play GBA games, and you can't play Guitar Hero on Tour. :(

If I ever do get a DS, I'll stick with the DS Lite.

I havent got 1, but my friend bought one. I tried it out and compared to the ds the screens look much bigger. you can edit photos, and other than that i think its all the same.

There's a much bigger difference:

Bigger Screens

WPA/WPA-PSK Supported

Upgradeable Firmware

Sound Channel, where you can play AAC files and record your own sounds

Internet Browser

DSi Store

256MB Internal Storage

2 Cameras

SD cart slot

EDIT: MightyJordan - Most people who really want to play GBA games already have a GBA or DS Lite. Besides, there's a plethora of great DS games, it's not like your gaming options are severely limited.

Also, you're not missing out much on Guitar Hero for DS. You're better off getting Elite Beat Agents for a better rhythm game on the DS.

I got mine This morning. Although I was whishy washy on color, I'd rather have the black and I'm praying they will come out with pink skin or cover... like my old Pink DS lite. It was defiantly worth the upgrade.. I'm trying to download some dpg converter to transfer my music but its laggin.. any suggestings? .. slow connection, I'm an impatient young lady!

:rolleyes:

I don't plan on buying one right now. There's just no point unless there's some really good DSi exclusive games that come out later on.

I worked today. It was hell but fun. Sold all the DSi's that were reserved. Which means ALL THE ONES WE GOT lol.

There a neat toy. As far as guitar hero, theres one coming out may or june. Forgot release date, its said to have an upgraded grip. Im thinking there gonna make a SD adapter Grip. Its gonna go into the Game Slot, then your gonna slip the game into the grip.

Basically a gameshark thing. There not going to USE the SD Slot for the grip becuase wrong side.

But its rumors, becuase if they dont fix it, not many people are happy. Today people that were trading it in about 20 asked "what about guitar hero / grip". I said idk yet, all I know is nintendo / guitar hero maker said there "working on it".

Nintendos smart enough to not mess it up, they will find a way so you can still play Guitar Hero.

But, I heard Rhythm Heaven got GREAT reviews. Even some people did me an offer and came back and told me the game was good.

Im not comparing to guitar hero, but its another music game thats gotten good reviews thru ign, etc and people.

My wife and I both picked ours up last night, so far I am pleased with it. I am impressed with the browser, it is much better than I thought it would be.

As far as the interface goes it really reminds me of the Wii, you can tell they learned their lesson in interface design. Pretty much an all around upgrade, this is what the DS should have been from the get go.

I'm not too sure how much I will use the camera and music recorder/player, but if they start pumping out some good dsiware titles I will be all over that.

The upgraded wireless security is pretty much a must have, it is rather annoying that only games that come out from here on out will support WPA encryption. Oh, well, most of my older DS games with online support I don't play that much anymore. As far as the GBA slot...I don't care that it is gone. I have a huge library of GBA games that I can still play on my GBA SP, so I'm not too concerned about it.

If you have a DS Lite you could go either way, get it or don't get it. If for some ridiculous reason you still have a DS Phat, get rid of that stinker and upgrade already.

All in all its a pretty good upgrade.

I don't think I'll buy one. I've played with it as my wife works in Game, and while the updates and new features are great, I can't justify trading my DS Lite in or purchasing a new DSi just to lose the backwards compatibility that made the DS awesome. I still play Duck Tales and Tetris Gameboy games! And I have all the Zelda games released too, including Link's Awakening, can't not be able to play those!

Ya ya so I could be more please with my new DSi -black in case your wondering, at least its not as bad as that blue!- but will SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN OR AT LEAST throw me a little lead on HOW TO DOWNLOAD music files.. at first the research said I should download a DGB and now im very frustrated nothing is working! This SD memory card I have really belongs in my pop's camera- are there in fact two separate functional-wise Memory Cards and if so will the only faithful method would be computer glitz and tap dance from CD or saved files ---> SD card... MIND YOU THIS IS ALL IN A JOURNEY TO SUCCESSFULL PLAY a Whole BRITNEY SPEARS' song. Answer back soon...

No. Any SD memory card will work. I suggest go picking up your own. There like $10-15 for a 2gb-4gb from most stores like BB, Officemax, Officedepot, Staples, etc. About BB look in there camera section as there gaming section those sd cards are "special" and only work for what they say and cost THAT MUCH MORE. Its retarted.

Anyway, for music, it has to be AAC. http://filext.com/file-extension/aac.

Its basically protected music(nintendo did it since its DRM. meaning they dont want you to play "illegal" music on your DSi).

You usually get AAC thru iTunes but theres other way you can get it. If you do enough searching(i.e. google) you can find a converter to go from MP3 to AAC.

The quality will be the same. AAC is the Sucessor to MP3. Thats all. It just has the DRM added into it. Besides that its just a MP3 file.

No. Any SD memory card will work. I suggest go picking up your own. There like $10-15 for a 2gb-4gb from most stores like BB, Officemax, Officedepot, Staples, etc. About BB look in there camera section as there gaming section those sd cards are "special" and only work for what they say and cost THAT MUCH MORE. Its retarted.

Anyway, for music, it has to be AAC. http://filext.com/file-extension/aac.

Its basically protected music(nintendo did it since its DRM. meaning they dont want you to play "illegal" music on your DSi).

You usually get AAC thru iTunes but theres other way you can get it. If you do enough searching(i.e. google) you can find a converter to go from MP3 to AAC.

The quality will be the same. AAC is the Sucessor to MP3. Thats all. It just has the DRM added into it. Besides that its just a MP3 file.

aac is not just drm .

AAC is used by nintendo because no licenses or royalties to use the format are required unlike mp3.

I think the DSi will become a much more tempting deal as time goes on, and as the online store gets more games that are worth playing. As it stands right now, if somebody already has a DS, I don't really see the purpose of switching to the new machine just yet, since the good games on the online store can basically be counted on one hand. However, if my DS ever suffers some unfortunate mishap, I'll gladly pay the premium for the DSi. And I don't even mind the lower battery life at all (I'm quite used to gaming on the iPod Touch, after all).

dont forget the DSi has 133mhz CPU rather then a 66mhz one and has 16mb of ram instead of 4 so it is a bit faster and i am sure the graphics unit in it is also faster

personlly i dont think its worth the money

Think about it. It's around $30 extra from the Lite model.

I believe that amount justifies the new hardware capabilities.

Think about it. It's around $30 extra from the Lite model.

I believe that amount justifies the new hardware capabilities.

$60 difference in Canada :(

I won't be picking up one since I already have a lite

Yeah bit too pricey, it's selling for the same as the PSP in the UK I believe.

I don't see a reason to buy one, I still use the GBA functionality of quite a few games, even though I do have a GBASP. It's just not justified like someone else said.

I think it depends on your situation. If you don't already have a ds, this it a great buy. It's rather cheap for the library of great games it has. However, if you already have an original/lite I don't think this is really a justified upgrade. Your not really upgrading, but exchanging the GBA functionality/better battry life for WAP/downloadable content. Plus, if you're into homebrews, upgradeable firmwares could make a mess of that.

I think it depends on your situation. If you don't already have a ds, this it a great buy. It's rather cheap for the library of great games it has. However, if you already have an original/lite I don't think this is really a justified upgrade. Your not really upgrading, but exchanging the GBA functionality/better battry life for WAP/downloadable content. Plus, if you're into homebrews, upgradeable firmwares could make a mess of that.

No, if you own an original, you're really doing yourself a disservice by sticking with your current fat DS. Do an upgrade to a DSi, seriously, or at least upgrade to a DSL.

No, if you own an original, you're really doing yourself a disservice by sticking with your current fat DS. Do an upgrade to a DSi, seriously, or at least upgrade to a DSL.

Why?

Why?

I used to have a DS1, compared to DSL, it is soooooo baaaad.

The screen colour is pathetic, it's heavy, it's ugly, it easily scratches, the stylus' are too thin.

DSL is tons better than the DS1, but IMHO DSi is a much smaller leap ahead despite the increase in functionality.