Another thing I can't stand...

Why use the show desktop icon when the bottom right corner does it already?

Uh....because that's the way I like it...??? :rolleyes:

See, I made a post about that, and someone pointed me in the right direction to find a way to fix it to my liking....which of course is kinda the point of these posts...

All I want here, is to find a way to make the pinned icons behave the way they did in xp, with the tabs opening to the right of the icon cluster, and the icons themselves remaining stationary.

My issues with windows explorer can(and will) be solved by a third party explorer.(not sure which yet)

My issues with the start menu have been solved by installing "Vista Start Menu".

My issues with the show desktop button, were solved by directions that came from here.

Hopefully, someone will have a solution for me on this issue too.

Just call me the squeaky wheel....and grease me baby.... :laugh:

I know you probably don't want to hear it or its even the wrong thing to suggest but if you want everything the way they were in XP, Why don't you install XP?

Well, I never really said I wanted everything the same, now did I.

But the stuff that worked well in xp shouldn't otta be just tossed over the side, now should it.

Also, I wanna switch to the 64bit environment, an area where xp lacks in many meaningful ways...

New quicklaunch-alternative icons should all stay in one place otherwise, you need to search for them because they move around for some reason. It is rather annoying.

Well, I never really said I wanted everything the same, now did I.

But the stuff that worked well in xp shouldn't otta be just tossed over the side, now should it.

Also, I wanna switch to the 64bit environment, an area where xp lacks in many meaningful ways...

I didn't say you did now did I? I simply asked a question.

All I want here, is to find a way to make the pinned icons behave the way they did in xp, with the tabs opening to the right of the icon cluster, and the icons themselves remaining stationary

If you'd read the posts here, you'd have already had the answer to fix that.

but this only happens if you purposely alter the settings to not combine. if you just leave it as default like most people will do then this issue doesn't occur.

The piggin icons for new programs DO open to the right if you turn off grouping. I suggest you read the engineering 7 blog for why the superbar is as it is. Why waste a finite amount of screen with a ql bar and then add the same icons when a program runs? Why not have the ones you want always there (your soddin ql bar) I give up with eejits like you.

+1 to the block list.

And no, having my icons moving across the taskbar is not "for the better"....unless you live on the moon.

I'm still trying to figure out how your icons "move across the taskbar" in Windows 7? :huh:

That doesn't happen to me.

If you'd read the posts here, you'd have already had the answer to fix that.

I did try that...locks the new toolbar on the right, with no obvious way to lock it on the left, which is clearly what I asked for....

I do appreciate the effort.

I'm still trying to figure out how your icons "move across the taskbar" in Windows 7? :huh:

That doesn't happen to me.

this is concerning when the bar is set to not combine. most people are not affected by this.

this is concerning when the bar is set to not combine. most people are not affected by this.

Agreed....I just don't like combining option...never have, doubt that I ever will.

And I only really care about how I like it....don't really care much about how others like stuff...I figure they have as much right to like their stuff they way they do, as I do.

I am not, however, prepared to surrender my right to like something a certain way, just because others have a different opinion.

And for those who may feel put off by this, I do have an 800 number they can call.... :whistle:

I did try that...locks the new toolbar on the right, with no obvious way to lock it on the left, which is clearly what I asked for....

I do appreciate the effort.

Unlock the taskbar and drag it to the left.

the problem with getting quickstart back is that then if in the next version of windows Microsoft remove quickstart entirely you're back to square one. you eventually will have to get used to change.

Unlock the taskbar and drag it to the left.

Whoopee...!!! Got just the way I wanted it.

Thanks to all...!!!

My issues with windows explorer can(and will) be solved by a third party explorer.(not sure which yet)

Looks like I'll give directory opus a whirl...I mean have you seen that thing, very nice...which begs the question........

It's ok Hitch'...I anticipated such responses from folk like you, and I accept that you have the right to your opinion. However, I do not share it. Nor do I simply "buy" microsofts so called "reasons". I don't challenge your right to accept their reasons. I, on the other hand, reject their reasons as arrogant nonsense. And I will voice my opinion, whether you, or anyone else likes it or not.

Could you explain what you think is "arrogant nonsense?"

The new taskbar behavior is designed specifically so that things DON'T move around. It's built to facilitate muscle memory. So if you want to get to Outlook, or you want to get to Explorer, your mouse always moves to the same spot. The keyboard shortcuts are the same way. Win+3 will always open or switch to the 3rd launcher, so if you have WMP in the 3rd spot, Win+3 always brings up WMP.

Some other good reasons for the default configuration are:

- Icons are more recognizeable than text.

- Removing the text and making the icons larger allows more entries to fit on the taskbar.

- Grouping by application supports the app-centric mental model most users have without introducing complexity.

- Reducing duplication (Replacing the Outlook icon in start menu, on desktop, in quick launch, on taskbar, in tray - with one taskbar icon) increases confidence and predictability while making the system easier for new users to learn. Also reduces clutter and frees up screen real estate.

And those are just a few of the very good reasons the desktop experience team chose the model that they did.

It sounds like if you actually gave the default configuration a shot, you'd probably like it better than the weird combination of settings you've chosen.

well basically the "weird combination" he has chosen is how the xp/vista taskbar work. so I mean if that's the way he likes it then fine but i've already warned him that you can't expect to be able to do everything in the same way forever.

i agree that people should just use the default setting and be done with it. but it is tempting to turn off grouping sometimes when your screen res is 1680x1050. i never open enough apps to really need the icons only style and grouping adds another click to open any window in a group.

i would prefer to be able to click once and bring to front (well one to front, next second to front) all windows in the group.

Could you explain what you think is "arrogant nonsense?"

Arrogant nonsense is changing everything for no damn reason and telling people it's for their own good.

The new taskbar behavior is designed specifically so that things DON'T move around.

They didn't move around on xp. They do (did) on 7

It's built to facilitate muscle memory.

My muscle memory(oh, and that's a rich one) was fine before. My Icons were always in the same place.

So if you want to get to Outlook,

Dude, not in your darkest drams would I reach for outlook...I'd rather gouge out my eyes.

or you want to get to Explorer, your mouse always moves to the same spot.

Again, they already do.

The keyboard shortcuts are the same way. Win+3 will always open or switch to the 3rd launcher, so if you have WMP in the 3rd spot, Win+3 always brings up WMP.

Almost never use shortcuts...never use wmp

Some other good reasons for the default configuration are:

- Icons are more recognizeable than text.

- Removing the text and making the icons larger allows more entries to fit on the taskbar.

- Grouping by application supports the app-centric mental model most users have without introducing complexity.

- Reducing duplication (Replacing the Outlook icon in start menu, on desktop, in quick launch, on taskbar, in tray - with one taskbar icon) increases confidence and predictability while making the system easier for new users to learn. Also reduces clutter and frees up screen real estate.

-I use icons in my quick launch.

-I have no text on my quick launch icons.

-I hate the grouping, always disable it.

-None of my quick launch icons are duplicated

And those are just a few of the very good reasons

Arrogant nonsense

the desktop experience team

Dude, you can put a dress on a pig...it's still a pig.

It sounds like if you actually gave the default configuration a shot, you'd probably like it better than the weird combination of settings you've chosen.

Obviously, having run the beta and tried it as is, I did.

If you boys had learnt anything from your Vista debacle, well.....

@ Rickkins

I respect your opinion, I really do. But you must know that Microsoft is not going to make everyone happy. As with any OS, app or program, when a new version comes out, some are disappointed. I beta test Firefox (have for years). When the new bookmark structure for Firefox 3 went public, many loved it, many hated it. It's just not possible to make all users happy with these changes.

Your opinion is that some of these changes to the taskbar are unnecessary, "change for the sake of change". I disagree as I can't even go back to the Vista/XP way. Seems antiquated and rather useless to me. I took the time to learn this new taskbar and I absolutely love it.

No my opinion is no more right or wrong than yours. I respect your opinion, I just disagree.

No my opinion is no more right or wrong than yours. I respect your opinion, I just disagree.

Ditto. :)

Arrogant nonsense is changing everything for no damn reason and telling people it's for their own good.

If we still had that thinking, we'd still get minimized icons floating everywhere on the desktop, like Windows 3.1.

They didn't TELL people it's for their own good. They let people try it in usability sessions and see what the results here. Clearly this model must have worked for a majority of the testers, or else it would've been scrapped a long time ago.

Yeah, having small icons and turning on labels is messy. I would have to agree there.

My muscle memory(oh, and that's a rich one) was fine before. My Icons were always in the same place.

Right... you did previously mention that only people with disabilities benefit from having Show Desktop on the lower right, while at the same time laughing off everyone who point out Fitt's Law to you. You know, the same law that allows Mac users to quickly open Expose by throwing their mouse down to the lower right as well...

Dude, not in your darkest drams would I reach for outlook...I'd rather gouge out my eyes.

Sure...

Fine. But others do.

I think they did. That's why they did a lot more prototyping and were/are more open to feedback during the beta period.

Did you stir up this same level of fuss with Office 2007? Just curious.

Again, they already do.

-I use icons in my quick launch.

-I have no text on my quick launch icons.

-I hate the grouping, always disable it.

-None of my quick launch icons are duplicated

Arrogant nonsense

Dude, you can put a dress on a pig...it's still a pig.

Obviously, having run the beta and tried it as is, I did.

I thought of replying to your points but you are obviously not interested in that. You completely FAIL at comprehending what Brandon was saying in his post (Outlook or WMP for example - he wasn't asking you to use them :rolleyes: )

I'm not sure why some insist on repeating that the changes were good for the majority, since that has nothing to do with what this thread is about. This thread is about what Rikkens wants.

And since he's gotten what he wanted at least a page ago, I propose that this thread be locked, before it devolves into an outright flame war.

Brandon:

You know well enough that it's impossible to please everyone, so whenever someone trolls out as the OP did with this thread, throwing the hook to reel in the suckers, don't worry about it. Those of us that understand and appreciate the changes for the GUI and user interaction just get it - unfortunately there are those that simply never will get it.

I'll admit that the very first time I loaded up Windows 7 (very very old build that never even got leaked publicly, just passed from a friend of mine in Redmond), the "new" Taskbar threw me for a loop as I've been one of those doubled-up Taskbar/QuickLaunch users since the QuickLaunch appeared with 98 so long ago. So it was a bit disconcerting to find that the idea was now "One Bar to rule them all..." (ok, I'm the first one to say that, maybe I need to trademark it... hehe Hell, my wedding ring is The One Ring, seriously)...

But that lasted all of oh, maybe 15 minutes, then I just got it and I've never looked back. Taskbar on the left, most commonly used apps pinned, works perfectly for me and many others.

So when a single individual rants, it's basically personal opinion, of course, and meaningless in the big scheme of things. They take the position that they're being forced into something new, and they're not. If they want to keep the old Taskbar layout and functionality, stick with XP. But if you (or they, as the case may be) wants the new stuff, fantastic, move on. Complaining just to complain, that's 100% pure fail, always.

Guess I need a new sig... think I'll make it up now... ;)