Office 2K3 B2 + Longhorn 4015

Ok so before I've even got to the hard stuff like installing my wind up scanner in 4015, I find that I can't install Office. I have to say I hadn't installed it in XP as it got filed and forgot untill I cleaned out today for Longhorn install, gunna suck big time if these aren't compatible. This is the first longhorn build I've installed (so apologies if I have missed the answer previously) but any help / suggestions would be appreciated. After I execute setup.exe, I get approximately the following error message.

Setup cannot access the windows installer service

Very strange :s

Have you checked that the Windows Installer Service isnt disabled in the services control panel under administrative tools?

Im going on the same kinda layout as winxp as i dont have longhorn :s

Rich

Yeah between getting married, having a daughter, getting divorced, dropping out of university for the second time, getting custordy of my daughter and working night shifts, time is sparce, im always lurking however, just dont post much (any) :) But hey ITS BETA SEASON !! Well pre alpha season, who else is going to be knocking around, at least im not downloading isos on a dial up this time :)

Well in answer to the question, yes the installer service is running, and other msi installers have worked just fine. 30 mins after that error message I got another error message telling me that the installer service had just stopped responding.

Still confused :(

OK well thanks for that :) Could well be my download, im getting weird problems with it. If you leave it at the log on screen, and power save kicks in, then when u wake it up, it reboots !! and the activation seems broke. the program simply wont run, 12 days to go ERK !

...and the activation seems broke. the program simply wont run, 12 days to go ERK !

Its not...

...Unless explorer is crashing when you try to activate it. That would be because you tried the 4008 patch. Yep now you broke it.

There isn't a working patch for 4015 at the moment. You won't be able to activate it unless you have a valid CPP key which you can use on your Longhorn 4015 installation.