Obama Fried Chicken raises controversy

NEW YORK, April 8 (UPI) -- A New York restaurant has stirred controversy by refusing to change its controversial name: Obama Fried Chicken. City Councilman Charles Barron, D-Brooklyn, was joined in protesting outside of the restaurant Monday with Rev. Al Sharpton and members of advocacy group Brooklyn East New York Crisis Team, Newsday reported Wednesday.

The protesters, who contend the name is racially charged, said manager Mohammad Jabbar reneged on a promise he made last week to change the name of the restaurant to Popular Fried Chicken.

"He is playing games," said Kevin McCall, head of Brooklyn East New York Crisis Team. "Just take down the sign."

alg_fried.jpg

Jabbar said the sign cost the restaurant thousands of dollars and he has no plans to change it.

"We are not changing the sign," he said. "Everyone is coming and saying they love the sign."

A White House spokesman said officials do not approve of using the president's name as an advertising gimmick.

source

If the restaurant had the name before Obama was ever a politician, I'd tell them to STFU. If it was named after his presidency, then it's just bad taste but the owner can still tell them to STFU.

Uh... What's wrong with naming a restaurant after the President? What is this? People are too politically correct and snobbish to accept a joke?

It's generally not fair to name places after people that have no connection to it. It's attempting to make money of the back of other people. And whether other people do it too, doesn't make it okay.

Those ridiculous memorabilia items come to mind...

(That, and the stereotyping of black people as eating fried chicken doesn't help in the appropriateness)

"In addition, I just read that one fine establishment in South Carolina started accidentally promoting the ?Obama Special? - a two piece mixed chicken plate with white and dark meat - on its menu during the primary season. The NAACP, for one, is not a fan of Obama Fried Chicken."

If he's half black and half white, how can it be racism? Why are people trying to bring racism into this. Really, whats next? "Obama school is racist for having black and white floor tiles."

There's only one Obama in this world ?

As long as it's not his full name or use of pic they can't do anything to the owner.

Why, thank you for not bothering to read the thread before responding.

Yes, it's named after Obama.

"In addition, I just read that one fine establishment in South Carolina started accidentally promoting the ?Obama Special? - a two piece mixed chicken plate with white and dark meat - on its menu during the primary season. The NAACP, for one, is not a fan of Obama Fried Chicken."

If he's half black and half white, how can it be racism? Why are people trying to bring racism into this. Really, whats next? "Obama school is racist for having black and white floor tiles."

Perhaps because race shouldn't matter at all. Just because it's vaguely accurate, doesn't make it "okay". I mean, if he wasn't mixed race, would you find themed "skin colour" foods okay? Dark meat for a black president sure doesn't sound reasonable to me.

In any case, fried chicken issue covered above. It's a stereotyping thing too.

If the restaurant had the name before Obama was ever a politician, I'd tell them to STFU. If it was named after his presidency, then it's just bad taste but the owner can still tell them to STFU.

Why? when obama was being elected lots of crappy toys and merchandise came out with his name on it i think its racist of the people who are complaining about it

when i saw that sign i figured yep just another shop trying to milk off obama's name and gulliable people would eat there then after reading the responses they are just enforcing the stereotype not everything has to be racist

reminds me of that south park episode where the flag is several white men standing around hanging a black man everyone saw it as being racists but the kids just saw some guy being hanged and thought it was wrong (not saying the flag wasn't racist)

I think in this case people are over-reacting its not intended to be racist its just mooching off the new presidents name nothing more.

if the word Obama didn't appear in the title no one would care the color of his skin should have nothing to do with it

I think in this case people are over-reacting its not intended to be racist its just mooching off the new presidents name nothing more.

Who says it's all about racism?

if the word Obama didn't appear in the title no one would care the color of his skin should have nothing to do with it

If the word Obama didn't appear in the title ... this entire topic wouldn't make sense.

Topic: "Joe insults Bob"

New topic: "Joe doesn't insult Bob?" How can we even discuss that?

Who says it's all about racism?

I'd have to say the article does

The protesters, who contend the name is racially charged
If the word Obama didn't appear in the title ... this entire topic wouldn't make sense.

Topic: "Joe insults Bob"

New topic: "Joe doesn't insult Bob?" How can we even discuss that?

Protesters only claim to be having an issue with it being racist

The officials have the issue with his name being used

I'm just saying if it wasn't obama (of course the officials wouldn't care) but the protesters wouldn't care either

Protesters only claim to be having an issue with it being racist

The officials have the issue with his name being used

The line "A White House spokesman said officials do not approve of using the president's name as an advertising gimmick" doesn't count then? I don't see the word "racist" in there?

I'm just saying if it wasn't obama (of course the officials wouldn't care) but the protesters wouldn't care either

Of course not. But you can't just say "if it wasn't him we wouldn't have the problem". That's pretty obvious.

Naturally it's high profile, he's the president. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be an issue with other names.

Hell, if you want to go down this road: would it be appropriate for an African country that elected an white leader to have chains that start selling "white meat" as a celebration of it? Sounds like a pretty weird and disturbing idea to me.

You completely misread my post.

You didn't see the word racist in that line because you quoted the wrong line :) Also I said the officials had an issue with his Name being used not it being racist

"The protesters, who contend the name is racially charged" - Protesters complaining about racism

"A White House spokesman said officials do not approve of using the president's name as an advertising gimmick" - Officials complaining about name used for advertising

The Protesters would not care about the alleged racist act if it wasn't obama which just makes them full of **** and starved for attention

I don't see anything racist in that at all. Looks like the PC crowd are up to their old tricks again :rolleyes:

I fully agree.

So what if many blacks like chicken ? So do many whites.

Just something else for insecure people to whine about. :ermm:

The locals there sure do love their president...and their fried chicken. Anyone want to take a ride there? I'll supply the bulletproof vests.

I fully agree.

So what if many blacks like chicken ? So do many whites.

Just something else for insecure people to whine about. :ermm:

+1

Infact i'm getting some charcoal chicken now :)

I guess next the complaint will be in my area-

There are plans to widened and renamed a Street to Obama Lane which should not be troubling in itself.

The troubling part is that the planed street to do this on is where it begins and ends.

The start of the street is the ABC (Package) Store where they sell Spirts (Alcohol) then continues with some Medical/Dental Offices followed by a dead end right past the Hospital and more to the point the passes next to the City Morgue then a retirement community and finally a tobacco field is the exact end of the road.

I can just imagine the fuss that will bring if they make a fuss about a chicken place (though I do think the guy could choose a better name for the place and I would not eat there.)

Edited by redvamp128

I would take a stand against the place too if they offered collard greens and corn liquor. But fried chicken?, who here doesn't like fried chicken?