Installing windows 7 - cd/dvd driver missing?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just about ready to give up.

Used Driver Magician to backup all of my current working drivers from 7000.

The message is rather vague so I tried selecting anything to do with CD Drives, IDE Channels, or motherboard chipsets but of all the drivers I tried none were accepted.

I am hesitant to screw up a working version of 7000 but am considering attempting an upgrade rather than a clean install.

The issue has to do with AHCI and optical (not hard) drives (and only applies to a clean installation).

Switching the controller back to IDE mode in the BIOS (which won't affect any drive or the data thereon) fixes the issue.

I had the same issue with AHCI and two SATA drives (one hard drive, one optical drive). Hard drives are fine in AHCI mode during install; however, optical drives are not.

Change the setting back to IDE in the BIOS? Problem solved (you can change it back to AHCI post-install).

• 1 month later...

I had the cd/dvd device driver missing issue when trying to install windows 7. I burned the iso to a dvd+r, vista didn't recognize the dvd but the computer booted off of it and that's when I ran into the error. I went back and burned the win7 iso to a dvd-r and didn't have any trouble. Hope this helps someone.

• 3 months later...

I found a very easy solution to this problem...

I switched out the IDE CD/DVD unit with a SATA CD/DVD unit. Once I did that, the system completly bypassed the need for the CD/DVD device driver.

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I've been trying to install windows 7 build 7077 on a HP nc6910p laptop (that had previously been able to install the beta on) and during the install it says there is a cd/dvd driver missing so it can't install?

Is this thing yanking my chain or do I have a bad image? Is it a common problem, as I thought most cd/dvd drives used universal drivers??

cheers

it doesn't 've an easy solution but a long process....

initially if you have already windows 7 in your computer lets say beta version and you want a new win7 full version

then simply install a software which could take backup of all your system's drivers of win7 (lets say driver professional)

then download vlite 1.1.6 first install it and then vlite 1.2 then install it over it .. make surenot to remove previous version..

then simply point out your new installation win7 cd by putting it in cd rom and it will ask you where to keep these files.. simply specify the folder.

after complition of this it willgive you option to integrate drivers.

all you've to do is .. import all your drivers where you kept backup through driver professional.

this "vlite" software then embed all your system's drivers into your win7 cd and thatz it burn it on DVD , install it and enjoy :D